Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Question The Backup Situation

So... with free agency looming in a week now, a number of questions are looming over this team. How will the Lindholm and Hanifin extensions be handled? Will they try to acquire any high-profile forwards in free agency? What about the Flames' own pending FAs, like Garnet Hathaway and Kris Versteeg?

However, there's a question that I think has gone somewhat unanswered and it has to do with the goaltending. Mike Smith is 36 years old and I highly doubt he remains starter quality past this season, if he even makes it that far. At his age, with his injury history, every passing month is a risk. But what do the Flames have in the pipe? Jon Gillies and David Rittich have not exactly had linear progressions and Tyler Parsons still seems a ways off. (Who knows what Nick Schneider and Mason McDonald have to offer at this point.)

Rittich and Gillies are both RFAs. They received identical deals last summer and both rewarded the Flames with inconsistent, replacement-level play. Rittich got off to a hot start but tumbled down the stretch, while Gillies either looked awful or stole games.

These guys aren't getting any younger. They're both in their mid-twenties and have proven themselves more-than-capable at the AHL level. But at this point, does it make sense to try and go after a guy in free agency to form a tandem with Smith this year instead of having to rely on inconsistent young guys in the event of another lengthy absence from the #1 this year?

The UFA goaltender class this year includes the likes of Robin Lehner, Jonathan Bernier, Carter Hutton, Anton Khudobin, and Cam Ward. Are any of these guys appealing, over Rittich or Gillies? Or, perhaps, is there a goaltender who the Flames should look to trade for?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prediction is we do nothing and Rittich or Gilles wins the spot at camp and we trade the other.

Not what I'd like to see, but Hutton is going to get overpaid, and I don't like the rest of the UFA options. Grubauer was the way to go if you were going to bring in someone else.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rittich and Gillies need to play it out for the backup position. We really need to see if the Flames have something in them one last season. If not, we’ll sign a UFA goalie again.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The back-up job is Rittich's to lose, and I fully expect he will start the season as the back-up. There's no reason both he and Gillies shouldn't be re-signed this season.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #5
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Robin Lehner is not a bad option.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jon Gillies is the answer.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #7
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do either Rittich or Gillies need to go on waivers next year? I’m thinking no for Gillies but not sure about Rittich...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #8
AT77
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I believe Parsons will be the goaltender of the future for the Flames. He's only 20 and had great numbers in the juniors. He was absolutely dominant for the US in their 2017 World Junior Championships winning gold vs Canada. Those numbers haven't translated well to the AHL but he's still young and has a lot to learn. He has the skill set and all the tools needed to be an NHL goaltender at some point.

For now, I believe Michael Hutchinson would be a solid back up as he’s a 28 year old UFA. I think signing him to a 2-3 year deal worth $1.75-$2 million per year to be a great signing. He's had tremendous numbers in the AHL this past year going 17-5-1 with a .935 Save % and 2.08 GAA. He’s done fairly well in his starts with the Jets this past season. Unfortunately for him, the Jets signed Mason to back-up Hellebuyck and he's signed for next year as well at $4.1 million, which makes Hutchinson expendable. He hasn't had great numbers with the Jets the last two years, but neither did Hellebuyck nor any of their other goalies as the Jets were a defensive mess before turning the corner this year. Before that he did go 21-10-5 for the Jets 3 years ago when they played surprisingly well. I honestly do believe Hutchinson can be a solid back-up for Smith as well as a great and reliable starter if Smith gets injured or is not re-signed after this upcoming season. Having Hutchinson for 2-3 years gives Parsons enough time to properly develop, and we all know goalies and defenseman take more time to develop than forwards.

As well, I do think if Hutchinson is signed, Gillies RFA rights could be packaged with Bennett and some picks or prospects for a top 6 RW (Mark Stone perhaps? Since Ottawa could use a goalie now and for the future with Andersen reportedly wanting out, as well as a young player in Bennett and picks/prospects to help their rebuild).
AT77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #9
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I think Robin Lehner is not a bad option.

It’s funny that this guy (another guy with a bad temper) is available but no one has snapped him up.

I think that speaks volumes about the risks. I don’t think he’s the answer anyone wants him to be.

I’d rather give the starters job to someone within the org that earns it as there are plenty of options still

Rittich
Gillies
Parsons
McDonald
______forgetting 2 more
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #10
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Do either Rittich or Gillies need to go on waivers next year? I’m thinking no for Gillies but not sure about Rittich...
Gillies is waiver exempt, but Rittich is not.

That should give Rittich the edge in Training Camp, but I'm sure Gillies could outplay him and they'd risk putting Rittich on waivers if it came to that. One thing to keep in mind is that the cost to claim a young goalie with limited experience is quite high. To claim Rittich would cost a team $90,000 and a roster spot plus his NHL salary. Also, at the start of the season, most teams are more concerned with getting their own third-string goalies through waivers than they are with grabbing someone else's.

I think the plan right now is to go into next season with Gillies and Rittich fighting for the backup job, and hope Parsons pushes them both.

It will be interesting to see who they take to China as the backup.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #11
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
It’s funny that this guy (another guy with a bad temper) is available but no one has snapped him up.

I think that speaks volumes about the risks. I don’t think he’s the answer anyone wants him to be.
He'll be a UFA in eight days, why would anyone bother snapping him up now before they can do it for free on July 1?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #12
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Lehner would be a good option however I do also like Rittich. Please not gillies tho, please.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #13
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I guess this will be very opportunistic, but its a tricky situation. If there is a legit UFA willing to sign for a reasonable prize, we may see Tre going after him. But I would prefer signing Rittich AND Gillies. Problem is, I doubt both of them would be willing to sign another 2-way deal. As far as I know, Rittich priority is to stay with the Flames, but he was not far from calling it at the beginning of the last season when Lack was signed and he was put down to Stockton. If we sign some UFA goalie and then offer Gillies and Rittich 2-way deals, we might be loosing them both which would leave us without any real depth in the crease, as Parsons is only 20 and still figuring AHL hockey.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:04 PM   #14
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

bernier or Hutton maybe?

i do want one of the prospects to succeed ideally... but the end of last year definitely put some doubts into my mind
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #15
StAlbertFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was wondering which goalies will potentially be free agents at the end of next season?
StAlbertFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:40 PM   #16
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Just go with Rittich or Gillies. Both are on track in their development and hopefully both take a step forward this year. Rittich probably has a slight edge as he’s waiver eligible. Don’t think we should be looking to sign or trade for any goalies atm.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 11:45 PM   #17
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAlbertFlame View Post
I was wondering which goalies will potentially be free agents at the end of next season?
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/f...ll/goalies/ufa
Old 06-24-2018, 12:02 AM   #18
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Rittich is fine as a backup. Gillies as an injury call-up. At 25 and 24 respectably, both are at the age where goaltenders should start to emerge.

I'd like to see Parsons in the A.

I think we're set for September. If things go off the rails, it can be addressed at that time.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:39 AM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd like Lehner to come to Calgary just so that we can have two rage monsters playing goal for us.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 07:13 AM   #20
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rinne just won another vezina- I would start sniffing around Nashville and see what saros costs. This guy could be a kipper.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote