Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #141
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Did they miss his -21, which lead the team by a country mile, on the backend to settle things down? .
If you watched them play last season, yes, it's clear they did miss him. They were awful defensively and were openly looking to upgrade at defense all year and still are. He was a big part of their blue-line despite the one poor season and suggesting that didn't contribute to them sliding to first in goals allowed is just flat out incorrect.

You can not like the price we paid and that's fair, but he's still a very useful player on a great contract.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #142
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Do you think bad goaltending might have been "very much" a reason too? I can't tell if you are saying lack of Hamonic was the main reason their season stunk.
Well if you want to go that route, they had the same goaltenders the previous season yet gave up 44 more goals the season after Hamonic was dealt.

Coincidence only?
Old 06-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #143
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
I feel like this has been brought up before when you've tried knocking Hamonic in the past.

Yes, the Islanders very much did miss him. This last season they had the most goals against in the entire league by a fair margin. They were an absolute tire fire defensively.
The Islanders are a bad defensive team. That doesn't mean they necessarily missed Hamonic. Hamonic had the worst 5v5 goals against rate on the Islanders last year at 3.18 GA/60 which was also the worst mark of any defenseman in the whole NHL (800+ minutes played). And they probably had a better coach last year while Hamonic was healthy (Jack Capuano) than they did this year (Doug Weight) so if they missed anyone, it was probably Capuano.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #144
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
The Islanders are a bad defensive team. That doesn't mean they necessarily missed Hamonic.

I think it's pretty clear with how they got worse and have been openly looking to upgrade on D all year that it does mean that. To me the outlier is the year he had prior to that when it was announced he wanted to move home for personal reasons. He'd been a rock for them for years and the fact they are now the worst defensive team in the NHL by a significant margin speaks to that.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #145
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Well if you want to go that route, they had the same goaltenders the previous season yet gave up 44 more goals the season after Hamonic was dealt.

Coincidence only?

Can’t be a coincidence. No way a goalie would have a great year one year then fall back to mediocrity. The ink spilled in talking about the goaltending issues on the Islanders was all a waste.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #146
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
To me the outlier is the year he had prior to that when it was announced he wanted to move home for personal reasons.
...Ironically, that (2015-16) was arguably the best or second best season of Hamonic's career. He's had his worst seasons since he rescinded that trade request.

It's okay to admit he's not an elite shutdown guy. He's a competent #4 who probably underperformed offensively last year but he's not going to dominate his own zone like people pretend he does. He's an okay top 4 guy but he's not the Mattias Ekholm type worth what we paid where only good things happen when he's on the ice.

I personally think the Islanders missed him in the sense that they traded a top four defenseman for draft picks. That's the same sense we missed Kris Russell after we sold him at the deadline. It's not as if the Islanders are better without him. But I also don't think the Islanders are saying "we would be a good defensive team if only we had Travis Hamonic back".

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #147
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Can’t be a coincidence. No way a goalie would have a great year one year then fall back to mediocrity. The ink spilled in talking about the goaltending issues on the Islanders was all a waste.
So a weaker defense can't be part of goaltending being worse?

I see.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #148
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are some of you implying Hamonic wouldn't have been playing in the Isles top four had they not made the move.

They obviously missed him to some extent...if he was there he would have played top four minutes and bumped whoever down.

How much we will never know

Like the trade or not the guy is a solid NHL dman
Old 06-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #149
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
It's okay to admit he's not an elite shutdown guy. He's a competent #4 who probably underperformed offensively last year but he's not going to dominate his own zone like people pretend he does. He's an okay top 4 guy but he's not the Mattias Ekholm type worth what we paid where only good things happen when he's on the ice.
Where did anyone use the term "elite shutdown guy"?

I still think it's blatantly obvious the Isles miss him and got collectively worse without him, and have been clamouring to replace him since trading him. My opinion.

As we've discussed before, I'm not really worried about or interested if you don't agree with me on player evaluations. I find you to be way, way too stat obsessed and have strange outliers like "Monahan isn't a 1C" etc.

We can agree to disagree on players without multi paragraph posts trying to prove something that's subjective.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #150
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So a weaker defense can't be part of goaltending being worse?

I see.
Goddamn you are right. No way you can have bad goaltending on its own. I see now. Islanders should keep those goalies and just fix their D. Although there is only one Hamonic and we have him thank goodness. Imagine where we would be.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #151
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1010201625171038208

Brooks not most reliable but FWIW
The "ever reliable" Brooksy...lol
cral12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cral12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #152
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what's this about Fox not being available?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #153
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Fox not available because he was already spoken for by Carolina.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #154
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Brooks at his best...he is such a bombastic twit.