Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #21
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lanny sounds hopelessly naive here.

The article is also unclear on the subject of Lanny’s wife being removed - who is the ‘her’ in ‘at her request’ - Day or Lanny’s wife?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

The article is also unclear on the subject of Lanny’s wife being removed - who is the ‘her’ in ‘at her request’ - Day or Lanny’s wife?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s bad writing and makes no sense. I actually think it might have been a misprint - “was not removed” and “despite her request”.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #23
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Agree with this 100%. He needs to be getting better advice. I wonder if the Flames organization had any heads-up on this, I'm sure they could help him manage this better from both a legal and PR standpoint.

The guy is a legend in Alberta, I hope someone steps forward to help him resolve this amicably.

Last edited by nieuwy-89; 09-16-2020 at 12:24 PM.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #24
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
McDonald now says that after watching an episode of The Voice and a long walk, he has decided not to continue with the book, according to a letter sent to Day and her lawyer through his counsel.

The court documents say McDonald heard a song on the TV show that included lyrics about losing your money, but not losing your soul.
One of the strangest things I have ever read. Wut?

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #25
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I demand to know what song it was. His whole case depends on it!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:55 PM   #26
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I demand to know what song it was. His whole case depends on it!
I can't resist! Lol.

https://youtu.be/cHNVhrQZG6E
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #27
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

"See you in court, and tell em' Lanny sent ya"
Old 09-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #28
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

He already did a book with Steve Simmons - I think I have a copy.
I also have a copy, one of my great treasures from my youth. Lanny is a legend. If the book this writer is writing is his memoirs, and Lanny doesn't think it acturately reflects his memories, and she is unwilling to modify it to be an acurate reflection of those memories, then he has every right to withhold his consent, and she can either get on board for the edits, or walk away. Sniveling and sueing is so childish and self-centered.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #29
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
I also have a copy, one of my great treasures from my youth. Lanny is a legend. If the book this writer is writing is his memoirs, and Lanny doesn't think it acturately reflects his memories, and she is unwilling to modify it to be an acurate reflection of those memories, then he has every right to withhold his consent, and she can either get on board for the edits, or walk away. Sniveling and sueing is so childish and self-centered.
You are making up his reasons for withholding consent, which are set out clearly in the story. And he doesn’t have “every right” to withhold consent. He has, as is typical ion such contracts, a right to “reasonably refuse” his consent. If, as has been alleged, he was involved every step of the way and is only now changing the terms or has reasons which aren’t appropriate, he will lose.

I don’t think McLellan-Day is a good writer, but “edits” aren’t going to do it. He says he wants a new writer entirely, which is pretty unfair after a year of work.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #30
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You are making up his reasons for withholding consent, which are set out clearly in the story. And he doesn’t have “every right” to withhold consent. He has, as is typical ion such contracts, a right to “reasonably refuse” his consent. If, as has been alleged, he was involved every step of the way and is only now changing the terms or has reasons which aren’t appropriate, he will lose.

I don’t think McLellan-Day is a good writer, but “edits” aren’t going to do it. He says he wants a new writer entirely, which is pretty unfair after a year of work.
B/S. It's a memoir, and if it is being protrayed that way,Lanny has a right to defend his brand and his public image. If either of those things have been violated, or dramatized for it's shock value, then he has every right to protect that and withhold his consent. If she wants to recieve value from her year of work, she shouldn't do it at the expense of his lifetime of work and his personal reputation. She has no claim to his brand.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #31
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Lanny McDonald and author head to mediation over unpublished memoir

Quote:
Despite a complete breakdown in his relationship with author Kirstie McLellan Day, hockey icon Lanny McDonald has agreed to arbitration in their fight over his unpublished memoir.

Lawyer Gary Befus on Friday told court the former Calgary Flame would enter into dispute resolution in a bid to settle his disagreement with McLellan Day.
Quote:
“There’s a fundamental breakdown in trust between these two parties,” Befus said, before agreeing with McLellan Day’s lawyer Jason Holowachuk to seek judicial dispute resolution or some other form of third-party mediation.

“It’s impossible to expect that they are somehow going to work together and work this out.”
Quote:
He said while McLellan Day wanted to publish a successful book, McDonald wanted it to “create an appropriate legacy for him.”

The Hockey Hall of Fame chairman and his family didn’t want it to be “just a book about hockey stories; they wanted it to focus on Lanny McDonald’s work outside of hockey.”
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...blished-memoir
Old 09-19-2020, 06:24 PM   #32
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he wanted the book to be about stories from his time away from hockey and volunteer work I can see why it wouldn't be published. That sounds like a pretty bland book that wouldn't sell more than a few thousand copies. most of which would be to Flames fans and even then they would want more than... Lanny is a great guy stories over and over again.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #33
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Wait, but you set up a complete hypothetical scenario and then called her childish and selfish for snivelling and suing.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:11 PM   #34
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
If he wanted the book to be about stories from his time away from hockey and volunteer work I can see why it wouldn't be published. That sounds like a pretty bland book that wouldn't sell more than a few thousand copies. most of which would be to Flames fans and even then they would want more than... Lanny is a great guy stories over and over again.

Yep, that's why all the worst books from athletes/celebrities are ones where they take full control to "tell their story". They can't see the reader side of it and don't know how to write a compelling book, instead they just want to say everything they want to say that accentuates their view of themselves at best (with carefully placed and purposely included "bad things") and just meanders, mercilessly at worst.

No offence to Bruce Springsteen, he's an amazing person with an amazing career but taking full control of his story led to a 528 page mountain about walking down certain streets as a kid to friend's houses.

Last edited by jayswin; 09-19-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:16 PM   #35
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
B/S. It's a memoir, and if it is being protrayed that way,Lanny has a right to defend his brand and his public image. If either of those things have been violated, or dramatized for it's shock value, then he has every right to protect that and withhold his consent. If she wants to recieve value from her year of work, she shouldn't do it at the expense of his lifetime of work and his personal reputation. She has no claim to his brand.

What do you mean "BS"? Have you actually read the case at all? Do you know how book contracts work? It seems very clear what is going on, and you seem to be emotionally hellbent on preemptively claiming she's a snivelling, money hungry writer who isn't doing what Lanny wants (Which isn't the case as this will likely have a huge affect on her ability to get future athlete contracts).

May want to grab a better understanding of the law involved here and also not make up scenarios and claim them as true.

Last edited by jayswin; 09-19-2020 at 08:21 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #36
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What do you mean "BS"? Have you actually read the case at all? Do you know how book contracts work? It seems very clear what is going on, and you seem to be emotionally hellbent on preemptively claiming she's a snivelling, money hungry writer who isn't doing what Lanny wants (Which isn't the case as this will likely have a huge affect on her ability to get future athlete contracts).

May want to grab a better understanding of the law involved here and also not make up scenarios and claim them as true.
You are correct, it will likely cause her issues getting future work. There are obviously things that are not in the article, and obviously neither of us has read the contract. But if it is a memoir, and she is supplying the writing, and he is supplying the story and his name, and there was a verbal agreement that he got final say, he has the right to not have his name used in a defamatory manner. Hypothetically, if she was to publish the book without his consent, what is to stop him from sueing for libel? Mediation is likely the best course of action, but I don't begruge Lanny at all for wanting control of the way that he is being represented. Also, based on the article, it seems as though his expectation that the book was going to be about life after hockey, as per his claims. If he is making the claim that is not the case, how would it seem to you that he was involved every step of the way? I would imagine that he was involved in the story telling, and the finished work was somewhat different then his expectation, and if that's the case, he has every right to not want his name associated with it. Again, I'm no lawyer, nor do I claim to be, but I think controlling his image is right and fair. My issue isn't with her being owed something, but her trying to sue to have her work about another individual published without his consent is wrong. Especially since it is supposed to be a memoir from his prospective, that he no longer endorses.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #37
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn’t Jiri Hudler airplane cocaine strange but is definitely up there on the list of odd news about retired Flames.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:05 PM   #38
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
Agree with this 100%. He needs to be getting better advice. I wonder if the Flames organization had any heads-up on this, I'm sure they could help him manage this better from both a legal and PR standpoint.

The guy is a legend in Alberta, I hope someone steps forward to help him resolve this amicably.
Could be that its the flames or the league that want something removed from the book and lanny is withholding consent for that reason. Hence his terrible justification and the reason for the litigation because she knows that he is changing direction at someone else’s request.

Things don’t really add up otherwise.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:01 PM   #39
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Could be that its the flames or the league that want something removed from the book and lanny is withholding consent for that reason. Hence his terrible justification and the reason for the litigation because she knows that he is changing direction at someone else’s request.

What on earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 11:07 PM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post

The Flames and/or the NHL have zero control over Lanny McDonald, or a book about him.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post: