Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #1
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:
Default What to do with: A thread

This thread is for answers to simple what do I with <insert thing here>

My ask

What do I do with an old car seat? I’ve got a bucket that is ready for a new home. Don’t want to bin it, I've tried kijiji already. Who will take this off my hands?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put it in your kitchen so your kids can sit in it and say "are we there yet?" without ever having to deal with the hassle of a car trip.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one buys used car seats. They're usually filthy and they don't really cost a ton. If you have friends that you could give it to, sure, but we tossed ours in the trash.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
No one buys used car seats. They're usually filthy and they don't really cost a ton. If you have friends that you could give it to, sure, but we tossed ours in the trash.
In the interest of safety, if you do throw it away cut the seat belts if there are any.
Boblobla is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Can’t donate it, used car seats wont be accepted and can’t be vouched for safety wise. It’s trash if a friend doesn’t want it.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Just sold ours a few days ago. It was still in good shape, and the guy just wanted it as an extra seat in his second car.

If it's cheap enough, anything will move.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

This is what I feared - Anybody want/need a kids bucket?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I just gave 2 of my old ones away on Kijiji last weekend. I googled it, and apparently they last 10 years (GRACO)

"Most car seats last between six and 10 years, but car seat expiration dates vary by manufacturer. The expiration date is often printed on the seat itself; if not, check the instruction manual for each car seat you own or give the manufacturer a call."

I don't think you can sell them (no idea, just what I heard) so I gave them away.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:49 AM   #9
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

As for you original question, "What do I do with <......>"

My go to is give it away on Kijiji. If no one takes it for free it's garbage. And it is utterly STUNNING what people will come and take off your hands N/C.

I'm moving to BC and can't keep everything, so my place has been a smorgasbord of free stuff like light fixtures, chairs, beat up kids bedroom sets, bar stools, couches, shoes, clothes, electronics, household items, you name it. I can't be bothered to sell it because F that, and it's easier than taking it to the dump.

There's also a comedy factor when someone tries to put a foosball table on the roof of a Crossfire or a sofa in a Honda Accord, which is worth the price of admission right there.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #10
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

For car seats it depends on the expiry date - if they are expired its garbage. If not, basically the only choice is find someone who wants it.

One slightly more green tip - we removed the fabric cover from ours, and gave that away separately. That way the new owner has a spare set (for when the original has vomit on it). Obviously only works for the same model, but ours was gone on kijiji free in minutes.

I wasn't comfortable doing that with the seat itself because of a short time to expiry and potential for future liability hassle.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #11
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.re-matt.com/carseat-recycling
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just remember...in this disposable world we live in....theres lots of dumpsters.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #13
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'll be the one to say it... Paying a $15 fee to "recycle" the car seat vs. throwing it in the black bin is a pretty easy choice for most people.

If the seats are supposed to be recycled, maybe there should be something like a $15 deposit at point of purchase... Otherwise, yeah...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #14
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

What do I do with PS3 era Guitar Hero and Rock Band instruments?

I think they still work with the PS4, think they're worth anything? Or try the same give them away thing?
Old 09-14-2020, 02:13 PM   #15
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I just gave away a lounger that 3 kids had vomited on, stuffed food (and god knows what else) into, had more stains that I can count (scotchguard on purchase helped) and there was a RUSH of people who wanted it.

It's comical how fast stuff disappears when it's posted for free. It's like having a personal army of junk collectors at your beck and call.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 02:17 PM   #16
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I'll be the one to say it... Paying a $15 fee to "recycle" the car seat vs. throwing it in the black bin is a pretty easy choice for most people.

If the seats are supposed to be recycled, maybe there should be something like a $15 deposit at point of purchase... Otherwise, yeah...
Yeah I know it is stupid. I was looking for an option to recycle my car seats a year or two ago and found that option and I laughed at the thought of paying to have them recycled.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:18 PM   #17
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Yeah I know it is stupid. I was looking for an option to recycle my car seats a year or two ago and found that option and I laughed at the thought of paying to have them recycled.
So... Black bin?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #18
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I just gave away a lounger that 3 kids had vomited on, stuffed food (and god knows what else) into, had more stains that I can count (scotchguard on purchase helped) and there was a RUSH of people who wanted it.

It's comical how fast stuff disappears when it's posted for free. It's like having a personal army of junk collectors at your beck and call.
Actually I found the trick is not to post something for free, as people assume there's something wrong with it. But soon as you add a $20 price tag it'll be gone within minutes
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #19
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about a pile of concrete rubble? I know I can take it to one of the recyclers, but that involves 2 trips with my truck. If I could get in on this free action, that's be great...didn't work so well with clay though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #20
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
What do I do with PS3 era Guitar Hero and Rock Band instruments?

I think they still work with the PS4, think they're worth anything? Or try the same give them away thing?

... what to do? Probably the same thing as my Wii guitar hero game and "instruments". ROCK OUT. or TOSS out.

Last week I got rid of two 30lb EXPIRED propane tanks. posted them on Kijiji. My wife gave me sh*t for asking $10. They can be recertified (which I didn't know when I'd bought the replacements. I ended up trading them for 2 beer. Both new owner and myself were happy w/ exchange.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post: