Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-20-2020, 11:54 PM   #21
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don’t know how you watch this series and walk away pissed with Gaudreau after what we saw from Gio and Monahan.
I guess the easy answer is by being disappointed in all 3?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 11:54 PM   #22
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

He can succeed here, but they need to have another "the guy", particularly a centre. He can be a great, great #2 or #3 guy.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:55 PM   #23
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t know how you watch this series and walk away pissed with Gaudreau after what we saw from Gio and Monahan.
Unbelievably Lindholm was even worse. and don't buy into the "he was gassed from all the pk-ing" BS.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:56 PM   #24
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yep, I don't even blame Johnny exclusively. He's physically tiny and asked to lead the team offensively in playoff hockey... good luck!

The team isn't structure properly to support him and put him in ideal situations to produce.
Yeah it's heartbreaking as a fan.

Dude is the most talented player that has come through this organization since we acquired #12.

Just the constant bumbling of free agency and destruction of the prospect pool through foolish mortgaging of the future...how do you over come that? You can't.

Quite frankly the last 6 years really show just what a fine line you have to walk to build a good team.

You can't continually screw up free agency, coaching hires and goaltending the way this team has. You can't keep bleeding assets for nothing but support and depth players. Amazing to think how this team has screwed things up from such a promising start. They took short cuts and 100% deserve exactly where they are...and absolutely none of that is on Johnny's shoulders. He needed more from the organization, and they blew it.

I genuinely think he will go on to play with players who are better/as good as him, and he will be dynamite.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 11:57 PM   #25
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I concur.

I think JG takes too much of the blame.

Can you imagine JG with a high end play driving center, with speed, like Mackinnon or Brazal driving up the ice with him.

When he is moving his feet he is an elite player, playing with a guy like Monahan causes him to float at times.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 11:57 PM   #26
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t want to trade Johnny because I don’t think he’s a good player. I just don’t want the Flames to lie to themselves. Something isn’t working and he’s been a no-show in every playoff series we’ve had. He’s had multiple opportunities to prove he’s learned something and he hasn’t.

It’s a waste of everyone’s time to keep trying to jam a square peg into a round hole. Something isn’t working here and he’s at the centre of it.

Great player. I love watching him. But it’s all about the playoffs and he just doesn’t perform on that stage. We don’t have enough talent to compensate for that.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:58 PM   #27
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will always appreciate Johnny, I think he’s a very good hockey player, sometimes he can look elite. Unfortunately the Flames do not have the right personnel that best suits his skill set. He needs a no.1 center that drives play as well, Flames just don’t have that.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:59 PM   #28
flamesforthecup2017
Lifetime Suspension

look forward to watching him flourish in another market while whatever we trade for him sucks for years to come

also #### lucic
flamesforthecup2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:59 PM   #29
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I guess the easy answer is by being disappointed in all 3?
No doubt. Lindholm too and Tkachuk did little before he got hurt.

But the trade Gaudreau crowd seems relentless and view it as some kind of solution for whatever reason.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:59 PM   #30
Atodaso
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Gaudreau will probably be traded this off season, and if it's to a team where he doesn't have to be THE guy, and he actually gets to play with a play driving #1C, he's going to flourish, and it's going to sting bad.

I just hope what we get back lessens the sting.
My sentiments exactly. I liken him alot to Kessel as a Leaf. Not to be overly pessimistic, but I've been preparing for an underwhelming return.
Atodaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:59 PM   #31
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would listen but don't make a bad trade
Old 08-21-2020, 12:00 AM   #32
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love going to games and watching Johnny play during the regular season. No player has got me out of my seat more than him in the past 2 decades.

But the evidence is piling up that he is not interested in re-signing here as a UFA and he is not going to bring you a stanley cup being "the guy" which offensively he is here.

This organization needs to make the right move and maximize assets by moving him this summer. But because that's the right move to make it probably won't happen.

I expect we will probably see Johnny in a Flames uniform next year.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:01 AM   #33
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
He can succeed here, but they need to have another "the guy", particularly a centre. He can be a great, great #2 or #3 guy.

The thing is, how exactly do they acquire that player? The team is too good to draft early, which is where most of those #1 guys come from. Never drafting higher than 4th, and blowing that 4th overall pick on a third liner is the reason this team is gonna be mediocre for another generation. Tore down the team and rebuilt, just to end up in exactly the same place, a bubble team that occasionally gets bounced in the first round instead of outright missing the playoffs.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:02 AM   #34
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
No doubt. Lindholm too and Tkachuk did little before he got hurt.

But the trade Gaudreau crowd seems relentless and view it as some kind of solution for whatever reason.
He’s a free agent in two seasons
The time is now
It’s not about blame
It’s about sensible asset management
These reasons have been outlined numerous times.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:03 AM   #35
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Or others are like me, they think if he's leaving as a UFA you need to trade him to maximize the return. So, trade him asap if it makes sense.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 12:09 AM   #36
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Johnny shouldn't be expected to be the elite player carrying this team, but with the right center he can be useful. If Johnny is the secondary piece on the line, he can be dangerous. Right now Monahan offers nothing and I can't believe he wears an A. If it takes Monahan and 1st to upgrade that position, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:13 AM   #37
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much would you be willing to pay to re-sign Gaudreau?

I wouldn’t pay him more than $7.5-8 mill. He probably wants $10 mill+. If that is true, you trade him. The problem is his value is certainly at a low point right now. Do you hold onto him and hope that he has a great season next year and see if you can move him at that point?

Last edited by ben voyonsdonc; 08-21-2020 at 12:16 AM.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:14 AM   #38
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforthecup2017 View Post
look forward to watching him flourish in another market while whatever we trade for him sucks for years to come

also #### lucic
We'll probably end up with another Monahan to go along with the one we already have. I remember thinking we were getting toews when he was drafted him but nope.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:14 AM   #39
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau isn’t “the guy” but the team has been built around that. He is not even paid as “the guy”. Honestly don’t think he is the problem. We need a #1 Center though, and it is not Sean Monahan.

I’d be sad when we trade Gaudreau, and I think his value is close to an all time low as wel currently.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:24 AM   #40
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
The thing is, how exactly do they acquire that player? The team is too good to draft early, which is where most of those #1 guys come from. Never drafting higher than 4th, and blowing that 4th overall pick on a third liner is the reason this team is gonna be mediocre for another generation. Tore down the team and rebuilt, just to end up in exactly the same place, a bubble team that occasionally gets bounced in the first round instead of outright missing the playoffs.
You might have him in Bennett. Gotta try it first.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote