Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-06-2020, 01:49 PM   #401
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only reason for not going too low in temperature is the cooling coil freezing up, we get that once in a while when we set it to 17.5c for too long but rarely and all it takes is turning off the cooling and running the fan only for an hour. This yeah I also plugged off all the vents in the basement and rooms that don't really need it to get the extra air flow to the places its needed and it stays cooler faster with less running of the A/C.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #402
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

The coil freezing is partially depending on ambient temperature and indoor humidity as well. If you have a really hot afternoon that cools off quickly at night, your coil could freeze at a temperature that was perfectly fine every other day.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #403
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Good spray? You mean just clean it with a garden hose at the start and the end of the season?

And I second that you must put the cover on during the fall and winter months...

Ya, I just use my hose with a Jet stream spray nozzle setting and clean it off, if it needs it.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #404
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
The only reason for not going too low in temperature is the cooling coil freezing up, we get that once in a while when we set it to 17.5c for too long but rarely and all it takes is turning off the cooling and running the fan only for an hour. This yeah I also plugged off all the vents in the basement and rooms that don't really need it to get the extra air flow to the places its needed and it stays cooler faster with less running of the A/C.
17.5C?? My partner would never, ever put up with that
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #405
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I don't even think my ac could get it down that low in this weather if I wanted it to. That's weirdly low.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #406
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I don't even think my ac could get it down that low in this weather if I wanted it to. That's weirdly low.
The lowest I ever set my AC to was 19 and it did end up freezing the coil at that temp.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #407
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you generally put a cover on your AC unit during the winter? A Google search seems to indicate it could actually be bad for the unit (humidity, animals seeking shelter) so I just want to make sure that I’m protecting it.

Last edited by ben voyonsdonc; 09-22-2020 at 03:20 PM.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #408
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Do you generally put a cover on your AC unit during the winter? A Google search seems to indicate it could actually be bad for the unit (humidity, animals seeking shelter) so I just want to make sure that I’m protecting it. .
I put a cover on, I just make sure the breaker is turned off before I do to avoid accidentally running it while covered. Good? Bad? I have no idea

Edit: quick search looks like the only reason to do it is to keep leaves and debris out, I uncover in early spring so I don't think the mold concerns apply.

Last edited by Raekwon; 09-22-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 03:21 PM   #409
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Do you generally put a cover on your AC unit during the winter? A Google search seems to indicate it could actually be bad for the unit (humidity, animals seeking shelter) so I just want to make sure that I’m protecting it.
Most people will tell you yes, i've had 2/3 AC people tell me don't bother. I don't. My neighbors do. He had to have maintenance on his this year, I haven't yet. Hard to say really.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #410
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My brother install them for a living and he says it doesn't matter one way or another. He doesn't cover his FWIW but of course it doesn't cost him much if he needs to replace it.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #411
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I don't cover, and just spray it off with a hose in spring to get the dust/junk out. I'd prefer it to stay dry as possible, and we get some pretty crazy humid days during snow melt, and humidity can get trapped with a cover.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 09:40 PM   #412
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I put the covers on since I got them free when units were installed last year. Keeps the units clean for next season. I don't think humidity or mould is an issue since it's dry most of the time.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:01 AM   #413
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I cover mine for the winter. Trying to get the leaves and debris out from the inside is a bit*h! And I don't want god knows how much snow over the winter months to get inside the unit.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #414
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bumping this thread as we're getting a quote from an installer today for central AC. I realize there are a bunch of different kinds of units and difficulties in installation. Just wondering what everyone here spent on their AC unit & installation so I know a ballpark of what to expect?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:11 AM   #415
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine was $3500 through Arpis for a Goodman GSX140361 (3 ton 14 seer). 1800 sq ft house, 2 story. Works fantastic and I will never be without AC again.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:12 AM   #416
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought a Daikin 80,000 BTU 98% furnace and SEER 14 2.5 Ton AC last year after getting ~6 different quotes for $8,000 flat after tax after some haggling.

There is a huge variety in quotes, and a lot of the cheapest quotes I saw skimped on certain items (5" filters, UV sterilizer, correct AC drainage/piping, internalized AC coils, etc.) and this was the best one I could get that met all my criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:14 AM   #417
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

First house was $3K seven or eight years ago and second house was $5K two or three years ago, but the houses are very different from a square footage perspective. I can’t remember all the details, but the one in our current house is definitely a few sizes bigger.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:17 AM   #418
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Our house is around the 1,400sqft range for our main and upper floor, so it's not a huge house. The install should be relatively easy as our utility room is right up against the outside wall the unit would be installed on (I hope).
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #419
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Our first house was 1200 sq ft, so depending on seer I’d suspect you’d be between $3K-$3500. I believe we saved $500 by not buying during their peak season. For you and your neighbor’s sanity I’d make sure the quote includes a noise dampening blanket.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #420
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

We are also looking for central AC this year. Anyone know of any out of season deals that we could maybe try to grab in the next few weeks?