Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #1121
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
LSPD is an interesting .TO tech company to follow. KXS too.
KXS looks interesting. Thanks for the info!

LSPD looks like a decent business.
They announced an IPO on the US side yesterday and that could drive some more momentum into the stock.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #1122
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you tech gurus have thoughts on the upcoming Nuvei and Snowflake IPOs?

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #1123
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
I buy IPOs for 2 reasons,

1 - I want to gamble and make a possible quick 20-40-80%
2 - I actually like the business and want to be in long term

Nuvei doesn't qualify that for me. Not a disruptor / business doesn't excite me / IPO is filed only in Canada. I have doubts on it having momentum to push the stock up heavily, but with that being said, perhaps there is a pent up demand for Canadian Tech investments to drive the price up.

Snowflake looks to qualify both of my reasons. I haven't looked into the technical details of their cloud data warehousing, but that is definitely a growth area. It looks to have momentum, it's a US stock, a lot of people are talking about it. Might be worth taking a flyer in your registered or TFSA accounts depending on what price you can get it at. If only us peons could actually get IPO pricing on some of these stocks....
Old 09-10-2020, 01:27 PM   #1124
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best to option I can come up with to participate on opening day is getting into a US tech ETF that is participating.

I tend to agree on Nuvei. It is an interesting company, but is by no means unique in the tech space. They also have a boat full of debt.

Snowflake on the other hand is fascinating, and something I'm continuing to research, especially given the major players that are involved in the listing.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 09-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #1125
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

The market doesn’t like the news of RBGs passing/ensuing battle.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:11 AM   #1126
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
The market doesn’t like the news of RBGs passing/ensuing battle.
I think it's concern about a second wave/closures in Europe.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #1127
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anybody catch SPI today with the 3800% move? Utter bananas. Today probably created some bad habits for new traders.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:28 PM   #1128
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Anybody catch SPI today with the 3800% move? Utter bananas. Today probably created some bad habits for new traders.

Yes. In at 4.26 and out at 4.55 like a thief in the night. Took the rest of the afternoon off. What's this 3800% all about?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #1129
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not deploying any cash until the U.S election. Hoping for a pullback.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #1130
Crazy Flamer
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post

Got in at $4.20, out at $6.81. Should have held on longer...
Old 09-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #1131
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just Energy went crazy today. The big news was their recap transaction (where they convert a huge amount of debt and prefs into stock) and 33:1 reverse split is a go.

Not sure that justifies today's double, as I'm pretty sure a lot of the folks getting the new shares will sell immediately.

Disclosure: short JE using puts.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #1132
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the market the past couple days up pretty nicely. I’m almost all cash. I am fully expecting a major pullback given the situation with covid being terrible now but the market hasn’t reacted negatively to it. This despite it getting bad fast. The market is truly perplexing.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #1133
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Looking at the market the past couple days up pretty nicely. I’m almost all cash. I am fully expecting a major pullback given the situation with covid being terrible now but the market hasn’t reacted negatively to it. This despite it getting bad fast. The market is truly perplexing.
Not going with "time in the market beats timing the market"?

I understand keeping some cash on the sideline, or more cash than usual, but all cash?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 03:28 PM   #1134
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post

Not going with "time in the market beats timing the market"?

I understand keeping some cash on the sideline, or more cash than usual, but all cash?
Yeah. More or less. I guess my position for the longest time has been that this has been an unprecedented thing that most of us haven’t seen in our lifetime. The job situation has been bad and bound to get worse, with no vaccine for about a year, but possible treatments. So my position has been the current valuations have been high compared to what they should be. Now, clearly I’ve been wrong to this point, but I find it hard mentally to get in to the market overall when it’s so high. Things that I want to invest have risen dramatically as well which makes it harder to get over. I do believe in cloud accelerating so I want to invest in Amazon but I’m waiting for the pullback to $2800 or so.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #1135
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Did you jump into the Snowflake IPO?

I didn't track it but it looks like it was available to the masses around $259? IPO was $120?

Looks to be trading in the $220 - $260 range now, including the overall tech pullback last week.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #1136
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post

I didn't track it but it looks like it was available to the masses around $259? IPO was $120?

Looks to be trading in the $220 - $260 range now, including the overall tech pullback last week.
Retail investors are at a huge disadvantage with IPO's. Better off to invest in an IPO etf as they can likely buy at the IPO offering price. Snowflake was $280 the moment it hit the market. Far cry from the $75 then $130 per share valuation they had given it. The original share price was going to be $75 iirc then a few days later that raised to $120. Keep in mind that $75 price was likely an inflated value as it stands. No way they were worth 3.5x more on IPO day. Market is nuts...
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #1137
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post

No, I watched closely, but didn't pull the trigger.

Pre-market signals indicated it would open far too high. The company also has a minimal float currently, due to share lockups from the IPO. The company debuted at very high multiples in comparison to peers. Once those lockups expire, there will likely be downward pressure on shares, and a more reasonable entry point in my view.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #1138
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGGYRULES View Post
Retail investors are at a huge disadvantage with IPO's. Better off to invest in an IPO etf as they can likely buy at the IPO offering price. Snowflake was $280 the moment it hit the market. Far cry from the $75 then $130 per share valuation they had given it. The original share price was going to be $75 iirc then a few days later that raised to $120. Keep in mind that $75 price was likely an inflated value as it stands. No way they were worth 3.5x more on IPO day. Market is nuts...
when has the market made sense lately?

Is there any point looking at some of the financials anymore? Seems to be all about momentum. Heck how did Nikolai even get the stock run it had without a solid business plan or even the technology to back it.

But yes, retail investing into IPO sucks. LMDN / NCNO / SNOW all opened to over double their IPO which included IPO price increases beforehand.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #1139
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Any thoughts regarding the USD during and after this US Election? It typically strengthens in the run up and onward to inauguration day. Will the uncertainty (volatility?) of Trump's behaviour change this though?
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #1140
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGGYRULES View Post
IPOs are fun to play on open for the first couple hours. The volatility is amazing for scalping.

But I agree. To get in as a retail investor at open, is brutal. As a retail trader, amazing.

manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote