Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Jets 3 Flames 2 (Series at 1-1)

Game Takes: Jets 3 Flames 2 (Series tied at 1)
Game Story

- Flames powerplay let them down
- And if it wasn't the powerplay it was the discipline
- And if it wasn't the discipline it was some sketchy officiating
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #2
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wheeler and Connor were awful in this game. If they were on the Flames it would be incredibly frustrating to watch a big skilled guy like Wheeler turn in his second performance in the series like that.

Adam Lowery was a beast in that game. Mid way through I checked capfriendly to make sure he wasn't an UFA. He's 27 and could be coming off a great playoffs...just the kind of player Calgary blows $5.5m/5yrs on as an unrestricted free agent. Luckily we don't have to worry about that until after NEXT season.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not Backing in? Playing against 4 checking/grinder lines not a lot of backing in opportunities.

Bennett only had 2 cross checks. It took Rinaldo and Mangiapane 3 or 4.. How did they imagine that they were not getting called?

Has a team that killed off a full 2 minute 5 on 3 ever not won the game? Did they need the fans to let them know how momentous that was?

Tkachuk must have had the wind knocked out of him when the 175 lb Ehlers ran him over, otherwise he should have beat the crap out of him when Ehlers came back and asked him if he wanted more.

Worse than game 2 against Colorado. Colorado wasn't missing Mackinnon and Rantanen
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:30 PM   #4
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Good write up.

Thanks, the shot count stats reflect what we saw, the 4th line was dominated.

Hopefully we see Quine in for Rinaldo. I fear Ward plays Jankowski due to his tenure and hope he doesn’t, because Janko always plays C and that doesn’t help anything

As for Talbot, I didn’t like how he ended up in front of the right post on the winner. For a guy who has been more of a blocking goalie, that seemed like really counting on that shot making it through a ton of traffic unobstructed.

But full marks on both the huge save in the dying seconds of the second, on the PP, and on the awkward diving glove save on the breakaway. Both hugely timely and his team let him down.

And the refs sucked. Ehlers shouldn’t have been in the game, Perrault should have been off giving no chance for Mang’s penalty. Atrocious game for the stripes.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Not Backing in? Playing against 4 checking/grinder lines not a lot of backing in opportunities.

Bennett only had 2 cross checks. It took Rinaldo and Mangiapane 3 or 4.. How did they imagine that they were not getting called?

Has a team that killed off a full 2 minute 5 on 3 ever not won the game? Did they need the fans to let them know how momentous that was?

Tkachuk must have had the wind knocked out of him when the 175 lb Ehlers ran him over, otherwise he should have beat the crap out of him when Ehlers came back and asked him if he wanted more.

Worse than game 2 against Colorado. Colorado wasn't missing Mackinnon and Rantanen
At least you didn't quote +/-!

I'll take that as a win given the game today.

You take a lot of work, I'm going to pass today.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:51 PM   #6
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i guess Paul Maurice knows what he’s doing
That’s the money shot. I think more for his team than the refs even.

The jets got 2 lucky bounces to the flames 1. Which is fine except without Scheifele and Laine it should not have been a game of bounces.

They have been off 4 months and laid an egg. It’ll be an aberration on the way to proving they are a solid team or a proof point on why they are not. We’ll know in a week or less.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
djmichaelk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

After what happened with Colorado last year they should have found a way to go up 2-0 so tired of excuses. The Flames looked flat all game its like their cursed. I am guessing both players on the Jets will be back tomorrow and they will win the next two because that's usually how it goes with the flames . I am hoping that the flames can win this series but I am doubtful after what a saw today.

Last edited by djmichaelk; 08-03-2020 at 07:50 PM.
djmichaelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:20 PM   #8
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geez. Rinaldo should be allowed 4 cross checks in front of the net while guy is on the ground for reasons? While 2 penalties called at once is very rare that was about as easy as a call as you can make.

I suggested in the game thread the Bennett penalty seemed like something they was warned about prior and that’s why the ref immediately gave the penalty. Hard to know for sure but that’s the read I got.

Seemed like the classic win for the team with a lot to prove after losing some guys. Flames in 4/5 is still the expectation.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:26 PM   #9
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Geez. Rinaldo should be allowed 4 cross checks in front of the net while guy is on the ground for reasons? While 2 penalties called at once is very rare that was about as easy as a call as you can make.
If that's the case then I get it.

I said in the game story that I didn't see what he did, but that it seemed like a pretty game changing call to make.

So I'll file that under my Rinaldo needs to sit section as another log on the fire.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:28 PM   #10
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
If that's the case then I get it.

I said in the game story that I didn't see what he did, but that it seemed like a pretty game changing call to make.

So I'll file that under my Rinaldo needs to sit section as another log on the fire.
I think if Rinaldo was getting the original penalty They let it slide as guys can get a few extra shots in. I almost think he may have thought he was.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote