Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2024, 12:13 AM   #5401
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it really just seems to depend on the day. I generally just do about 5% over, sometimes people are flying by me, and sometimes I'm flying by everyone
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 12:42 AM   #5402
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamescuprun2018 View Post
It's funny you mention that. I have noticed the same. Very noticable road noise heading south going downhill past Bow Trail intersection on Stoney Trail. Must be road construction related?
I noticed this too and thought I was crazy. Really thankful I'm probably not.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 07:45 AM   #5403
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Having taken the Bow Trail section now 5 or 6 times in dry and snowy conditions over the past month or so, with two different vehicles, hearing some pretty noticeable road noise about halfway up from old highway 8 to Bow Trail, and back down the other side.

Nowhere else in the city do I ever hear anywhere near that particular noise, or really any road noise at all TBQH.

Tires on both vehicles are new as of Spring 2023, and are on totally different types of vehicles...so makes me things it something to do with the materials of the roadway or base of the roadway?
I live in the general vicinity of this section of roadway, and I can hear the noise of everyone's tires from my yard.

As for the speed limit, the reason you will never see Stoney upped to 110 is because of said road noise and crappy urban design like the following:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SLaFFmfZaetruaxP7

Last edited by Nancy; 02-14-2024 at 07:47 AM.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 08:22 AM   #5404
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that the province is worried too much about long-sold developments along a transportation corridor. There are probably a few reasons we won't see 110 anytime soon, but I don't think that's one of them.

I remember buying in Tuscany in 2002 and there were signs warning that Stoney (then undivided, traffic lights, didn't go very far) would become part of a major ring road. I don't think that rssistance by residents against an increased speed limit would be successful - they'd just play the "you knew about this when you bought" card.

That being said, I have noticed increased road noise on the new West leg where others have mentioned it. I guess it'll be a few years before re-paving is necessary, so maybe it will wear down a bit?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:46 AM   #5405
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Having taken the Bow Trail section now 5 or 6 times in dry and snowy conditions over the past month or so, with two different vehicles, hearing some pretty noticeable road noise about halfway up from old highway 8 to Bow Trail, and back down the other side.

Nowhere else in the city do I ever hear anywhere near that particular noise, or really any road noise at all TBQH.

Tires on both vehicles are new as of Spring 2023, and are on totally different types of vehicles...so makes me things it something to do with the materials of the roadway or base of the roadway?
IIRC, this is because the screed on the paving machines isn't set correctly, causing a small up and down movement that's essentially a vibration on your tires, making a sound. If it's really bad, the government can get the paving company - or in this case, the P3 consortium - to repave that stretch. The problem usually disappears as the pavement wears a bit, so I doubt the government would try to deal with it. It's an especially sticky situation on the ring road since the P3 group owns and operates the road. They'll fight tooth and nail to do the absolute bare minimum to fix things if it's still within specifications.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 05:18 PM   #5406
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Count me in as another driver who noticed the weird noise along the west segment of the road. Nice to know other people are hearing this, and it's not just my car falling apart...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 05:36 PM   #5407
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone joked that upon completion of the loop, this thread would immediately turn into the people complaining about the RR thread.

About that...

I'll take the noisiet, gnarliest stretch of connector roadway over what we were working with a few months ago.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 12:53 PM   #5408
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Count me in as another driver who noticed the weird noise along the west segment of the road. Nice to know other people are hearing this, and it's not just my car falling apart...
Yup, we discussed this a few pages back IIRC. I too have noticed it. Only on NB Stoney and south of Bow Trail though. And not in all lanes.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 07:41 PM   #5409
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I noticed it going SB up the hill from 16th, all the way down to Hwy 8. In the vicinity of Bow Trail was loudest, though.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 10:19 PM   #5410
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Jurassic milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Is it delayed? Despite the steel shortage they had, last I heard they're still on track for the fall 2023 date they always had

Good news!

Its Blue Cheese.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 10:46 PM   #5411
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good news!

Its Blue Cheese.
I don't get it
Old 02-20-2024, 11:26 PM   #5412
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't get it
Quote:
When is the 22X bridge gone be done?
My god this delay is comical, and I only visit Calgary every couple weeks or so.
You don't get how well this comment aged? I can't tell if you're being obtuse.

Quote:
Is it delayed? Despite the steel shortage they had, last I heard they're still on track for the fall 2023 date they always had

Really, it's pretty amazing. So it costs me an extra 15 minutes every few weeks or so. I'm waiting for some random dude to just completely snap, and for that shoot-out akin to that one in Sicario. We'll all watch it live, like the OJ chase. And it gives me something to nag on you, and bitch to the forum about. It's fun.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:45 PM   #5413
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You don't get how well this comment aged? I can't tell if you're being obtuse.

The new bridge is done though
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 11:53 PM   #5414
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

ohhh YOU WERE being obtuse, love it. Surely, thats what my intended ask was, when I asked about that delay those so many months ago, right?
Old 02-20-2024, 11:56 PM   #5415
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anything I'm being acute
Old 02-20-2024, 11:59 PM   #5416
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's just that you answered it simply, and not empirically. As if, the one bridge that was being worked on at that moment, meant when done, all work is complete. And it's cute.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:04 AM   #5417
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:30 AM   #5418
Knut

Exp:

I work 1 day a week up in Royal Oak. The Ring Road has shaved 10 minutes off my drive. it has been great.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post: