Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2024, 07:42 AM   #461
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
With the Flames in the 8th OA spot now, I'm getting more and more excited about the suddenly very real possibility of drafting Tij...which feels like setting up for disappointment, as I just have this feeling Conroy ultimately won't do it.

I totally get the argument if Flames stay in a top 10 pick that going D or C would make more sense. But man that would hurt passing on Tij, especially if he turns into a star. I hope they take him.
Isn't this the type of attitude that Flames fans have made fun of Oilers fans for years? Keep bringing in old players to run the team and now their kids.

If Iginla is BPA, great. Otherwise, pick BPA.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 07:54 AM   #462
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Calgary continues to increase their draft spot, Tij isn’t on the board for me. Figure out a trade with NJ to grab their pick and try to move up to draft Tij. Imo, our own pick should be used for a top end center or D prospect.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 07:57 AM   #463
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Isn't this the type of attitude that Flames fans have made fun of Oilers fans for years? Keep bringing in old players to run the team and now their kids.

I mean, I'd argue the difference is Tij is actually slated to be a top 10-15 pick. Pretty sure McTavish / Lowe and those other hosers weren't seen as top level front office prospects around the league.

Like I said, I get the mentality of going C / D in that spot, and it's probably what's going to happen. I just think we're in for a few lean seasons until the new barn opens, having an Iginla in the system will certainly help keep up the excitement level in the fan-base during that time.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 08:01 AM   #464
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post

I think if it's close, you go with Iginla. It's also about selling tickets and a new building with a star Iginla on the roster has to be pretty intriguing.

I remember reading an article a little while ago (can't find it) how the Devils had Kent Johnson ranked higher but it was close and Luke was available. Due to the intangibles (keeping your fans happy, keeping your star happy) they made the call to go for Luke. I don't think you can argue with that one today.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 08:13 AM   #465
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I think if it's close, you go with Iginla. It's also about selling tickets and a new building with a star Iginla on the roster has to be pretty intriguing.

I remember reading an article a little while ago (can't find it) how the Devils had Kent Johnson ranked higher but it was close and Luke was available. Due to the intangibles (keeping your fans happy, keeping your star happy) they made the call to go for Luke. I don't think you can argue with that one today.
The best way to sell tickets is to have a Stanley cup contending team.

Little easier to skip Johnson when you all ready have a good young 1-2 punch down the middle. Also D was a pretty big need for jersey.

I would love for them to draft Iggy jr but for me that has to be around the 10-11 spot. If flames are drafting in the 6-7 range I don’t think iggy jr should be in the conversation. To many great d prospects and a couple of centres that could be on the board at that point. The only winger I would take in top 9 is the Russian.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 08:13 AM   #466
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
I would be fine with the Flames drafting Tij if they are drafting around where he's ranked, but to play devils advocate for a second, how many elite NHL players then had a son go on to have an elite career? I think it's a very small list. So parental tutelage from an elite NHL'er doesn’t seem to be too much of a factor. And every scout/analyst also is well-aware of who Tij's Dad is, yet it hasn't vaulted him into a sure-fire top-10 pick.
Bobby Hull
Gordie Howe
Keith Tkachuk
Paul Reinhart

Thomas Steen
JP Parise
Peter Stastny

Last edited by troutman; 03-29-2024 at 09:28 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:24 AM   #467
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Bobby Hull
Gordie Howe
Keith Tkachuk
Paul Reinhart
Exactly. A very small list. 2 of Reinhart's kids did not pan out. Imagine Tij turned into Griffin? Oof.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:34 AM   #468
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Full faith in this nepo baby. If Tij has the same drive and determination his dad does it's a pick I full believe it. He also seems to be a bit of a riser in the last month
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:51 AM   #469
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Exactly. A very small list. 2 of Reinhart's kids did not pan out. Imagine Tij turned into Griffin? Oof.
Interesting that you looked at that list of data and thought it proved your point.

Chances of making the nhl from minor hockey is 1 in 4000. There have been 300 players make the HOF out of the roughly 7500 players to have ever played the game (4%). In 2022 6.1% of the NHL had a father who had played before in the league.

The fact that we can roll off a few names easily is likely showing that Tij has a better shot of out performing his dad, than someone with identical stat's and being the first in his family to get this far.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:59 AM   #470
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

You could argue the opposite that if it’s close you don’t put that pressure on him. Tough position for the flames to be honest, emotion can’t play any part of this decision.
Whynotnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:02 AM   #471
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Interesting that you looked at that list of data and thought it proved your point.

Chances of making the nhl from minor hockey is 1 in 4000. There have been 300 players make the HOF out of the roughly 7500 players to have ever played the game (4%). In 2022 6.1% of the NHL had a father who had played before in the league.

The fact that we can roll off a few names easily is likely showing that Tij has a better shot of out performing his dad, than someone with identical stat's and being the first in his family to get this far.
Man, writing that first sentence and following it up with the rest is super funny. I don’t have a horse in the race (happy to draft Tij, happy to draft someone else just as much) but those numbers absolutely do not say anything close to what you think they say lol.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 09:14 AM   #472
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Man, writing that first sentence and following it up with the rest is super funny. I don’t have a horse in the race (happy to draft Tij, happy to draft someone else just as much) but those numbers absolutely do not say anything close to what you think they say lol.
Agree with you, it's definitely not a complete and definitive data set.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:23 AM   #473
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Bobby Hull
Gordie Howe
Keith Tkachuk
Paul Reinhart
Can add Nylander in there too, although he had one that turned out really well and the other not so much so far.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:24 AM   #474
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post

I agree and whether his dad is a hall of famer or not, I think the most intriguing thing about him is the year-o-ver-year improvement in his game and upward trajectory he seems to be on. Those types of players are often set up for success.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:26 AM   #475
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would consider expanding on having Marc Savard as coach and add a few more ex flames on the coaching staff for the same reason. Hard to quantify the positive effect having an ex flame like Savard has had on the fan base.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:31 AM   #476
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I also just want to hear the Iggy chant in the dome again.

Oi Oi Oi!
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:36 AM   #477
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What if Iginla Tkachuks us down the line? Would that sour your feelings on his dad.
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:41 AM   #478
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As a fan, Id love another Iginla. As a dad, I would rather my son play for 30 other teams. (no oilers of course)
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:41 AM   #479
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree and whether his dad is a hall of famer or not, I think the most intriguing thing about him is the year-o-ver-year improvement in his game and upward trajectory he seems to be on. Those types of players are often set up for success.
This is a valid argument and the same thing happen to his Pops except that it happened in his D+1 season.
Trajectory of development is important.
And to be clear, if the Flames think he's the best player at their spot - by all means draft him. Just don't elevate him on your list because of his name.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 10:09 AM   #480
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that lineage is an advantage for sure. Tkachuk grew up around NHLers, and absorbed a lot of their hockey wisdom. It's why his hockey IQ is elite.

I would say the exact same thing about Vaddy Jr. and Bichette.

But the problem I have with this debate, and with TrentCrimm's arguments in particular, is taking this fact, and applying it in absolute terms, without nuance.

Is it an advantage? Yes, often. Is it always an advantage? No, there are far too many variables here, including and especially, personalities.

So to say: "we should draft Iggy, because lineage" is just not a valid argument, even though the premise (that lineage can be an advantage) may have some validity.

It's the conclusions that are usually a problem: people take something - a fact like this, or a comment from Friedman, or whatever - and draw conclusions that aren't warranted. There is a lot more grey in teh world, than there is black and white.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: