Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM   #21
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

about 7 to 8, getting old and being in pain a lot of the time brings me down some and my vocation has always left me with a sort of minor ptsd/depression but I'm used to it and it's 'external' I have a lot of old foster kids out there, most are doing ok, some great but some are struggling and i feel that all the time, that said my life is so blessed, I'm comfortable financially, so many foster parents quit during Covid that they are just throwing money at me to get me to stay working and I love what I do, I'm proud of my boys out there, proud of my daughter, I lost a good friend to cancer a couple of years back and it got all my circle to thinking about our lives one drunken night and I realised I wouldn't do a thing different and have no regrets, if I die tomorrow I'm cool with my life and the little bit of myself I will leave behind in my kids and foster kids
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 11:35 PM   #22
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I have coined the phrase that I consider myself a member of the 'Dead at your Desk' Generation.

Because thats where they'll find me.
At least your desk is surrounded by toys! Go out like you came in.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 11:41 PM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
At least your desk is surrounded by toys! Go out like you came in.
Lol! Most people dont know that or what you're talking about! Haha!

But yes. If you're a Star Trek or Star Wars fan...my office is pretty sweet.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 11:46 PM   #24
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

2. It's not good.
Khel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 12:00 AM   #25
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll say 9.

Generally speaking life is good. About to celebrate the 1 year anniversary with a fantastic woman, I love my new apartment, financially I'm stable which is plenty for me, and even in clinical terms I've actually conquered most of my diagnosed mental health problems.

I've been sick a lot this fall though which takes a toll, and there's been quite a lot of second hand stress, meaning the important people in my life have been going through some rough times.

Or maybe 8. I kind of can't cope with the news lately.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 12:03 AM   #26
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Right now it's a 4.

I don't handle winters very well. I have SADS and suffer from a lack of sunlight during the day. I exercise in the gym , swim in the pool and use a bright light kit for my moods and yet somedays are a struggle for me. My mood changes when it senses winter is coming and perks right up when spring is on the horizon. It is what it is and I deal with it the best I can.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:06 AM   #27
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fluctuating between a 3/4 and a 6/7.

Hopeful for a time then overwhelmed and anxious. Sometimes within the same day.

Today the reality of the whole inflation thing really began to sink in. There have always been ways around it I've thought, if you picked the right stuff at the right times. But everything "essential" that I needed today was pretty expensive without exception compared to how it was just one calendar year ago. Realized I avoid getting chicken more and more when it's been a staple of mine forever.

It's getting a bit out of hand. And this is just basic #### for living. I trust that I'll be in a better situation in the future but how are many people supporting whole families supposed to retain peace of mind and keep to reasonable working hours with the cost of living and basic essentials jumping at this rate?

Things are moving at a rate that seems unsustainable for some, and a unneeded distraction/weight for others.

Feels like carrying out a life on this planet need not be so taxing in the ways it has become. It's evident that this is no longer the same world our parents grew up in.

I miss the optimism and simplicity that was once prevalent. Before these wars, before inflation, before our favorite cinematic universes jumped the shark, before Covid. What a strange fever dream it has been since 2020.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
JMN
Old 11-16-2023, 12:23 AM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I propose that we declare war on chickens!!

Thus their carcasses shall be inexpensive, plentiful and delicious!!

And they'll never see it coming.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-16-2023, 12:40 AM   #29
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Financially things are fine as I think about the wind down of my career and what a second act might look like. Not sure retirement is for me but I’m looking forward to something that is not as all consuming as my current job. I lost my parents over 10 years ago and unfortunately did not start a family of my own. Mostly relationship disappointments. I lost a best friend to a sudden illness a year ago and still dearly miss a particular ex-gf that I don’t speak to anymore.

I’m sad as I think Calgary’s and Canada’s best days are behind us. We could have been such a prosperous nation. The days of big deals and big projects are gone. Government now interferes with and regulates everything you want to do. A permit to build or create anything takes forever.

I have not recovered from the Covid doldrums and long for the pre pandemic days.

The wars in Ukraine and now Israel have me teetering on full depression. I really didn’t think antisemitism was a problem in North America but under Trump the right wing racists were able to come out into the mainstream and now the left including academics, college kids and the media have in many respects proven to be even more dangerous. Social media in particular.

Just a very sad time right now.

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 11-16-2023 at 12:49 AM.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 04:35 AM   #30
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe a 3 or 4? I don't know, things haven't been great. My mom's cancer is back and she's going through another round of chemo right now, and it sucks. Lost an uncle a few weeks ago to cancer as well. Personally, I'm having some health struggles as well, mainly anxiety issues that come and go. Financially, there's been some unexpected things coming up and that hasn't exactly helped my mental well-being in the last weeks.

There's positives and I think it could definitely be worse, but it could also be a lot better. Trying to be optimistic.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
JMN
Old 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM   #31
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
maybe a 3 or 4? I don't know, things haven't been great. My mom's cancer is back and she's going through another round of chemo right now, and it sucks. Lost an uncle a few weeks ago to cancer as well. Personally, I'm having some health struggles as well, mainly anxiety issues that come and go. Financially, there's been some unexpected things coming up and that hasn't exactly helped my mental well-being in the last weeks.

There's positives and I think it could definitely be worse, but it could also be a lot better. Trying to be optimistic.
And you're a Manchester United and Calgary Flames fan.

I think if you're a Calgary Flames fan your ceiling is like a 5...after that maybe other teams can drag you up...but lets be honest, most drag you down.

In all seriousness, I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. While we cheer for rival soccer teams we're all in this together and, frankly, none of us, should ever walk alone. Regardless of affiliation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 05:33 AM   #32
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

What time is it? Changes every hour.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 06:46 AM   #33
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

one.

almost every aspect of life is in the toilet and life sucks from the moment I wake up and disappointedly realize yet again I didn't manage too die in my sleep.

can't give 3 reasons, but can easily list more than that beginning with such poor mental health it seems to paralyze me.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 06:59 AM   #34
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cancer struck me this year, went through 15 radiation treatments, Brachytherapy and injections that are still causing havoc to my system today.

During Brachytherapy they ripped my hip muscles which has caused me significant grief and has me in physio twice a week.

I have many relatives living in Ukraine, cant imagine their daily lives!

My oldest and dearest friend (Elementary school) contracted cancer as well, and has 8 months to live.

I'm still working and enjoying it, although I get to decide if and when to pull the plug. Keeps the brain active and helped significantly to keep my mind occupied during the above treatments.

My children are all awesome, seem to have things figured out and have great lives! Grandkids are smart, cute and doing super well in studies and activities. They love their Dedo (Grandpa)!

I wake up breathing every morning, look to my left and see my beautiful wife, get up and see the sun rise in the east and watch it go down in the west! Although life has provided a few road blocks, its great to be able to enjoy all of the little things that mean the most to me.

Last edited by Cheese; 11-16-2023 at 07:04 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 07:18 AM   #35
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

8. Everything work wise is great. Super easy job and still working from home 3 days a week. My son who has adhd won a lottery and got into a high school with only 15-18 in a class which has helped him a ton and is less than a 5 min drive away.

It would be a 9/9.5 if the city didn't elect the Wildrose Party into power though.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:24 AM   #36
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post

Finding it hard to find joy in things that I used to enjoy.

Don't have the energy or drive to go out and meet up with friends and everyone's busy and/or feeling the same way.

Hitting a point in my career where I look at the future and can't imagine doing this for another 20 years till retirement, but finding it tough to see an alternative path.
This exactly, maybe a 4, just in a rut most of the time and the things that I used to look forward to, I guess I still kinda do, but everything is just meh.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:24 AM   #37
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd put myself at a 7. Biggest positive in my life is starting a new job where the people are respectful and it feels like my work makes an impact. Also, not starting every work day with an 8 am meeting with a VP who was angry 90% of the time does wonders for the mental health. Financially I've never been better and I made it through a 3 month job loss without spending a cent of the severance, so having two incomes is a huge boon. Cavalry had a much better season than I anticipated and I haven't cared about the Flames for years now.

Having a 4 year old really limits the social life and I miss being able to text my friends and grab a beer impulsively. I still see them, it just needs to be planned out in advance and things can derail it.

It's winter which can be a struggle and social media (including places like CP) are a massive downer. But I don't really have anything better to do at times so I find myself dragged down with it.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 08:34 AM   #38
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great question, one I never really think about.

It really depends on the time of year or day.

This time of year, leading up to Nov 11 is really tough for me. It digs up demons, emotions & experiences I keep buried deep inside me. It sucks, so Nov 1-11 I roll around a -3.

Then it is Christmas, #### I hate Christmas. #### right the #### off with Christmas. But, I love my family & friends so 4/5?

On a day to day I am around a 6/7. I have a high stress job with lots of $$$ resting on my decisions & actions.

My biggest issue is I am a worrier about those I love. My wife if currently in a toxic work situation, my son is smart but is struggling with what to do next year after grade 12 (I can relate). My girl, #### I worry more about the world than I do about her.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 08:49 AM   #39
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

8 as of today, but maybe a 4 two months ago.

I found myself really loathing the daily grind of getting up early, driving to the office, putting in my 8 hours, driving home, making dinner for me and the kid, rinse and repeat the next day.

But then the stars aligned and I found a job thats 90% remote, and a 20% pay increase, feels like I won the lottery.

I'll gain back so much time and energy, and haven't even started the new gig yet and I feel rejuvenated and just better overall.

I'm a pretty optimistic person by nature so it was tough getting down and being so negative all the time. It felt really foreign and frankly a bit scary. Took some time and some conversations to figure out why I wasn't myself.

Long story short, my job, the grind of it was slowly eating at me. Decided to look into making a change and voila 2 months later I'm on a completely different path.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 08:56 AM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Absolutely everything sucks,

Looking for work over the last year sucks and is disheartening.
The project work right now has tapered off and stuff that's coming is 3 or 4 months away.
The family situation right now sucks.

I've had too many friends try to take advantage of me over the last few months.
The things that I used to like doing, I just don't like anymore.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:

Tags
cbc news 988