Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #401
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

being mostly a TNG fan (and it's been a long ass time since I last watched any of those), I find myself laughing constantly at the references big and small, like how the collector had that balls in holes brainwashing 3-d game. and yet since I didn't watch much TOS, DS9 or VOY, I feel as if I'm still missing like 70% of the gags.

e.g. I have no idea where the giant skeleton came from. I can only imagine the experience of watching Lower Decks as an ultimate Star Trek nerd that has thoroughly consumed all past material.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:42 AM   #402
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Ha I wonder how CBS feels about the latest Lower Decks basically slamming Discovery/Picard as not true Trek, damn.

That's why I love Lower Decks, its almost like this show is a guantlet to the face from people who are fans.

The whole laughing at the Enterprise for its string quartets, and boring exploration missions.

I also love the whole Riker thing and the deliberate poses they have him doing.

What are they going to do Suck us to death?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:39 PM   #403
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved this latest episode, so many nerd references w/ Tanagra guy and the Collector. The team is back together w/ Cerritos Boimler got hosed as usual, he got duplicated AND demoted lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hopefully the Picard crew take that gauntlet and sort themselves out.
Yea Picard/Brave New Worlds both got Kurtzman's fingers all over them. Not gonna get my hopes up.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:19 PM   #404
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hopefully the Picard crew take that gauntlet and sort themselves out.
Despite a few flaws, I personally enjoyed the first season of Picard, and I think there's a lot of potential for that show. The set-up is basically done and the main characters are all established after S1, so my hope is that they can now just jump into more of an episodic type of show where Picard and his ragtag crew travel around the galaxy getting into adventures and helping out people who need it. Kinda like a Trek version of Firefly or Mad Max.

I'm also looking forward to Strange New Worlds, just because I really like Anson Mount and the Pike character.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 04:02 PM   #405
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Despite a few flaws, I personally enjoyed the first season of Picard, and I think there's a lot of potential for that show. The set-up is basically done and the main characters are all established after S1, so my hope is that they can now just jump into more of an episodic type of show where Picard and his ragtag crew travel around the galaxy getting into adventures and helping out people who need it. Kinda like a Trek version of Firefly or Mad Max.
Unfortunately it's definitely not that, from the trailer it looks like Q shows up at Picard's house and sets them all off on some alternate universe timey-wimey adventure to save the future and what not.

OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #406
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unfortunately it's definitely not that, from the trailer it looks like Q shows up at Picard's house and sets them all off on some alternate universe timey-wimey adventure to save the future and what not.
I'm not saying that this cant be entertaining, but I'd love to see a drunken, curmudgeonly Picard.

"This sounds a lot like 'Future Picard's' Problem. Unlike him...I have wine!!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:12 PM   #407
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not saying that this cant be entertaining, but I'd love to see a drunken, curmudgeonly Picard.

"This sounds a lot like 'Future Picard's' Problem. Unlike him...I have wine!!"
It could be good, but it also could be another half-baked save the universe with lots of action and darkness and plotholes. Based on these writer's output through the other four season of current live action Trek, I know what I'm leaning towards.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #408
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It could be good, but it also could be another half-baked save the universe with lots of action and darkness and plotholes. Based on these writer's output through the other four season of current live action Trek, I know what I'm leaning towards.
Its such a waste.

These guys are old. You typically only get one 'Swansong.'

It should be like 'Logan.'

Make it character-driven and thoughtful.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:30 PM   #409
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Ha I wonder how CBS feels about the latest Lower Decks basically slamming Discovery/Picard as not true Trek, damn.

They're not true Star Trek, so it's fine.

I wish'd they just called it "Picard" and then none of us would have assumed it would have Star Trek like influences. Just have it be in the Star Trek universe.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 05:28 PM   #410
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Damn, I forgot that they had already dropped the trailer for this. Ok, so it's not exactly what I had in mind. But I liked the first season and I like the characters, so I'll still give it a chance.

I'm fine with a time travel scenario as long as it's done well (First Contact and the Voyage Home are two of my top 5 favorite Trek films), and I love the character of Q. I'm in.

Last edited by direwolf; 08-21-2021 at 05:31 PM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 06:27 PM   #411
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Time...has been broken."

FFS.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #412
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to crap all over Kurtzman's writing partner, Roberto Orci, for being a cliched hack that constantly reused old material (first movie, magic blood! second movie, magic blood!), but I'm seeing now that Kurtzman is the worst at this. He can't even come up with his own ideas (magic blood!), he has to hack away at old Trek tropes, in an actiony way.

The worst part is that I can only assume that he has a staff, who feeds him good ideas, and he shoots them down in favor of a rehash (only with a gender swap!/character swap!).
Old 08-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #413
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Star Trek is starting to feel tired outside of Lower Decks. They keep recycling the same plot points.

At this point the smart move would be to let Picard finish its second season with Picard being beamed into heaven. Discovery needs to end with the Discovery exploding with all hands lost. And then Start Trek taking a nice long break to refresh itself.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #414
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Kevin Feige can summarily decree Agents of SHIELD non-canon just because he didn't like Joss Whedon - I'm hoping the next Grand Poobah of Star Trek can do the same with everything done under Alex Kurtzman.

May Vulcan Live Again!
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 08:19 PM   #415
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
If Kevin Feige can summarily decree Agents of SHIELD non-canon just because he didn't like Joss Whedon - I'm hoping the next Grand Poobah of Star Trek can do the same with everything done under Alex Kurtzman.

May Vulcan Live Again!
I loathe the obsession with canon in comics, SW and ST. LOTR to a lesser extent. Fans freak out if a video game isn’t canon, if a book isn’t canon. This years valentines cards have to be goddamn canon.

And then if it is canon, it always contains key info that only the most hardcore of people even read about (looking at you new SW trilogy!).

When Marvel made the SW EU non-canon a ton of fans lost their #### because it cheapened classic stories like the Thrawn trilogy. I can’t express how hard I rolled my eyes at that level of BS.

What I’m trying to say is waving ones hand and declaring Discovery non canon shouldn’t even be a heated discussion. They should just do it. Same with the JJ reboot. Like who gives a #### if it’s canon. Just wipe the slate clean and do what makes for good TV/movies.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2021, 09:32 AM   #416
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are going to sully Q and Picard in one season Oh well. I have recently been rewatching TNG while taking turns up at night with baby. Still an amazing watch.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #417
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

May Vulcan Live Again!
What if there's an episode in Discovery where at the end it turns out everything was a holodeck simulation by Troi and Riker? Then they can reboot the show.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:10 AM   #418
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
What if there's an episode in Discovery where at the end it turns out everything was a holodeck simulation by Troi and Riker? Then they can reboot the show.
Thanks for triggering me so hard. Enterprise was true trek and did not deserve that fate.

Discovery definitely does.

Picard all being a q induced pseudo reality would also be chill.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:14 AM   #419
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Would have to be a bad dream, or some form of holodeck torture no one would willingly run such a program.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:15 AM   #420
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Would have to be a bad dream, or some form of holodeck torture no one would willingly run such a program.
Sarek awakes in a cold sweat... "I need to stop frequenting that human herb amanda brought back from earth before bed"