Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2023, 05:18 PM   #2341
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Biggest problem with ST:P is Picard doesn't do much of anything.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 05:34 PM   #2342
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
He speaks feebly and gestures at clouds.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 05:36 PM   #2343
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Its about Family tho...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 05:37 PM   #2344
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
He speaks feebly and gestures at clouds.
It's why I can really relate to this series.
Old 04-14-2023, 05:39 PM   #2345
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I cant be the only one who was hoping for a little 'Millennium Falcon' magic right at the end there.

"Engage!"

*Groooan....chugga, chugga, chugga....credits.*

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2023, 06:11 PM   #2346
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Riker says "we're the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise", damn that hit me right in the feels. Pitch-perfect line delivery by Frakes there.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 12:14 AM   #2347
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It was a nice bit of fan service to see the D again, even though its not one of my favorite designs.

But I was thinking, a what 30 or 40 year old starship with 30 or 40 year old shields and weapons, held together with bubble gum and scotch tape.

At least they'll be fighting a bunch of 25 year old or younger borg who will be too busy on their borg social media devices while playing video games to fight a war.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 01:09 AM   #2348
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It was a nice bit of fan service to see the D again, even though its not one of my favorite designs.

But I was thinking, a what 30 or 40 year old starship with 30 or 40 year old shields and weapons, held together with bubble gum and scotch tape.

At least they'll be fighting a bunch of 25 year old or younger borg who will be too busy on their borg social media devices while playing video games to fight a war.

I have always been surprised by how much bigger the Enterprise D is than the A. Maybe it was the cinematography or something but the Enterprise A seemed larger on screen.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 01:52 AM   #2349
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been super hard on this series, and rightfully so, but whoever said that episode was pure joy was right. Especially the last 10 mins or so. Just pure joy.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 08:32 AM   #2350
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Worf complaining about how crappy the tactical systems are must have made you happy. I was pleasantly surprised they turned on the full hotel lobby lights much closer to the original TV style than even in Generations. I’m so sick of the grimdark aesthetic I’d gladly take kelvinverse Apple Store again.

So they’re going back to the Borg well once again, that’s 3 for 3 appearances in this series. I didn’t watch S2 but I was under the impression the new Jurati led Borg decided to have a more friendly relationship with the Federation? And the changelings who seemed to have enough of an advantage to destroy the Fed on their own just helped create an even more powerful threat to their existence? Was Vadic’s talking hand a changeling or borg?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 08:39 AM   #2351
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
So they’re going back to the Borg well once again, that’s 3 for 3 appearances in this series. I didn’t watch S2 but I was under the impression the new Jurati led Borg decided to have a more friendly relationship with the Federation? And the changelings who seemed to have enough of an advantage to destroy the Fed on their own just helped create an even more powerful threat to their existence? Was Vadic’s talking hand a changeling or borg?
Yes.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:51 AM   #2352
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I've been super hard on this series, and rightfully so, but whoever said that episode was pure joy was right. Especially the last 10 mins or so. Just pure joy.
Ultimately, as a Trek fan we have to just acknowledge that this series is nothing but pure, unadulterated fan service. Its not supposed to be good or unique or anything.

Its just supposed to be our favourite characters saying words that include the name 'Jack' over and over again and flying around in our favourite ship.

To that end that last episode was a masterpiece.

I predicted pretty much every major plot-point in this series after the first episode aaand...I was just joking around.

Old 04-16-2023, 01:39 PM   #2353
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I've been super positive about this series because I only care about the feel-goods. But that doesn't stop me from analyzing the show.

What strikes me is that 94-year old Picard (yes that is his age in the canon, and explains some things) makes horrible and reckless command decisions over and over again and only survives by plot armor.

1. Doesn't object when Riker proposes borrowing the Titan to hitchhike to Dr. Crusher - putting an entire Federation Starship in potential jeopardy and with the responsibility of rescuing them if anything goes wrong.

2. Tells Riker to go on the offensive against the Shrike when it had clearly already demonstrated the portal weapon and its abilities - like Riker said "you've just killed us".

3. Comes up with the idea of allowing Vadic and her strike team to come onboard the Titan. Yes it was a gamble with force fielding them in but they still came in with weapons hot and could have killed multiple crew before they were trapped. Combined with Picard not objecting to La Forge plugging Lore into the computer system, this allowed the changelings to take over the ship and slaughter countless crew members.

4. When it's clear to him that the Borg are going to take over the fleet at Frontier Day, and with the entire fleet also on the manhunt for him, he decides to just warp to Sol to try to warn them instead of sending a subspace message and then finding alternatives that don't involve potentially killing the crew of the Titan again.

5. Once they get the Enterprise-D and it's now clear that the Borg have assimilated the fleet, again he doesn't think of any alternatives but to fly straight back to earth. The modern Excelsior was already deleted, the D would fare much worse. We know it will work out because of miracle plot armor but Captain Shaw would have weighed his options instead of recklessly throwing his crew into the flames again.

My last point refers to the above - since he already made buddies with an entire offshoot Borg collective - it would be logical to go seek out Jurati for help rather than fly back to earth. Same goes for allies in other species from all the connections and favors he's been owed over the years.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-16-2023 at 08:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2023, 01:54 PM   #2354
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Irumodic Syndrome…or Idiotic Syndrome? I believe Tyrion Lannister came down with of case of it as well.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 06:29 PM   #2355
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it was a great little scene but I said to my wife after it ended “so… what’s the plan? Back to earth to take on like 100 ships with one old one?” — it doesn’t make sense, they’d obviously be obliterated. They’ll be saved by some miracle though - Picard will connect with Jack through the power of family or something.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 06:46 PM   #2356
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah it was a great little scene but I said to my wife after it ended “so… what’s the plan? Back to earth to take on like 100 ships with one old one?” — it doesn’t make sense, they’d obviously be obliterated. They’ll be saved by some miracle though - Picard will connect with Jack through the power of family or something.
Oooh....good question. Lets play!

Maybe....Sisko comes to the rescue with that entire fleet of trapped Jem Hadar ships from the wormhole?

Or Dr. Crusher comes up with a cure for the The Borg?

More likely? Jack....Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack....

Takes over the Borg from the inside, shuts everything down and all is well in the Galaxy again.

Jack.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:03 PM   #2357
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ was me when I was 15.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:22 PM   #2358
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The new Ent-D bridge set looks great but something is off with the characters and it isn't that they are all old. We are used to see them in their distinctive colors but the color grading of the show is really horrible and just makes everybody a blob of black in their clothing.

This picture seems to show that Picard's jacket is actually blue and Crusher and Troi have blue shoulders.

img photo hosting
Old 04-17-2023, 08:11 AM   #2359
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the Borg stuff so much. Borg sperm, sure Jan.
And having the Borg hire rogue Changelings is just like, as Locke has been saying the entire time. So Fanfiction-y. It's eye roll inducing.

But also the nostalgia bait admittedly worked on me.
So in conclusion this show is like America, a land of contrasts. Most of them bad.

Oh I'm growing VERY tired of nearly every season of NuTrek being some Galaxy level threat.
And it's time honored tradition for Trek to repeat itself but I think it's super annoying that basically Picard is redoing the finale of the two most recent other Trek shows (albeit animated) that JUST ended.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:04 AM   #2360
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I hate the Borg stuff so much. Borg sperm, sure Jan.
And having the Borg hire rogue Changelings is just like, as Locke has been saying the entire time. So Fanfiction-y. It's eye roll inducing.

But also the nostalgia bait admittedly worked on me.
So in conclusion this show is like America, a land of contrasts. Most of them bad.

Oh I'm growing VERY tired of nearly every season of NuTrek being some Galaxy level threat.
And it's time honored tradition for Trek to repeat itself but I think it's super annoying that basically Picard is redoing the finale of the two most recent other Trek shows (albeit animated) that JUST ended.
I would've been fine with a Borg-threat storyline if they hadn't just 'resolved' the entire Borg-threat literally in their own previous season. I know it was kind of a ####ty season but you can't have the Borg return and not have characters saying "Hey wait, what about the Dr. Jurati Borg Queen that we just hung out with like two months ago? Aren't the Borg in the Federation now?" -- is it even going to be addressed at all or is this a Rise of the Skywalker "Somehow, the regular evil Borg Queen returned" moment?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote