Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Special Teams 2018-2019

So now that the dust has settled from the draft and free agency we have an entirely new look to the Flames. I have seen lots of speculation and excitement about potential line combinations and defensive pairings, but what about the special teams?

It can be expected that new Associate Coach Geoff Ward will handle the power play as he did in New Jersey and Boston and that new Assistant Coach Ryan Huska will take over the penalty kill.

I am not too familiar with either coach's tendencies or systems, but just by watching some video of the Devil's power play from last year it looks like they utilized a defenseman up top on the blue line and then two forwards on each half wall (left shot on right side and right shot on left side). Anybody with a greater knowledge on the Devil's PP from last year or the Heat's PK please chime in.

Now that we have some right shot forwards on this team here is my first stab at what the special teams might look like. Please keep in mind that Peter's tended to used Ryan on PP2 in Carolina and has also openly talked about using Czarnik on the PP.

PP1

Lindholm - Monahan - Gaudreau
Tkachuk - Giordano

This unit will utilize Gaudreau on the right side as the puck distributor and Lindholm on the opposite side. Giordano can get the puck through lanes, while Tkachuk is the big body in front and Monahan is the high slot sniper.

PP2
Czarnik - Ryan - Neal
Backlund - Hanifin

Same set up here with the right and left shots. Treliving mentioned that Czarnik is an exceptional power play player so he will get an opportunity for sure. This is also the spot Peter's used Hanifin in last year.

Keep in mind that I think this will all be very fluid until we find what works. Bennett and Jankowski will get their PP reps as well I'm sure.

PK1
Backlund - Frolik
Giordano - Stone

PK2
Lindholm - Jankowski
Brodie - Hamonic

I'll be the first to admit that I am a little clueless about the PK. I can see Backlund and Frolik staying together as they were our go to last year. We also used Brouwer quite a bit on the PK last year, but I don't see him having a consistent spot in the line up. I get the sense that Peter's likes to have two capable face off guys on the ice. Treliving also mentioned Ryan can play PK even though he didn't get used much there last year by Peters. I can also see Bennett getting used on the PK.

Either way I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

Last edited by bax; 07-04-2018 at 10:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where's Brouwer?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Where's Brouwer?
Legit question.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk - Giordano

I wouldn't use Gaudreau on the right side at least until they enter the zone and maybe not even then. I get the use of off wing for one timers. But on-wing is better for protecting the puck while carrying and on the boards.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Would rather have:

PP1:

Gaudreau
Linholm Monny Neal
Gio

PP2
Czarnik Bennett Tkachuk
Backlund Brodie

Pk1
Ryan frolik
Han Ham

Pk2
Backlund Bennett
Gio Brodie
Old 07-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
PP1

Tkachuk - Giordano

This unit will utilize Gaudreau on the right side as the puck distributor and Lindholm on the opposite side. Giordano can get the puck through lanes, while Tkachuk is the big body in front and Monahan is the high slot sniper.
I can't imagine that they will only have one guy manning the points. I also have trouble imagining Neal not being on the first unit.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Where's Brouwer?
Who cares
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Who cares
Troy?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #9
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I can't imagine that they will only have one guy manning the points. I also have trouble imagining Neal not being on the first unit.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing too. If they put Neal on the first PP then Tkachuk has to come off I think.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #10
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Special Teams 2018-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Tkachuk - Giordano

I wouldn't use Gaudreau on the right side at least until they enter the zone and maybe not even then. I get the use of off wing for one timers. But on-wing is better for protecting the puck while carrying and on the boards.

I think it’s smart to be fluid with the powerplay layout... if the setup is not working at the time then switch it up. The set up the flames used last year was largely based on the fact that all the skilled forwards were left-handed shots. It didn’t work for most of the season but there were stretches where it looked good but wasn’t scoring. I like having a right hand shot ready for one-timers on the left wing... if czarnick or lindholm or Ryan or Foo have a good one-timer then that’s who I put on the top powerplay. Then put gaudreau on the other side to feed them. The tough part with that setup though is that monahan is a left shot so having gaudreau on the right side might limit Monahan’s ability to release one timers from Johnny specifically. However, if lindholm/czarnick/Ryan/Foo are decent passers as well, they can be the ones ready to give monahan one-timer setups in the high slot. It could lead to more goals from Johnny since he’ll be on his stronger side for shooting as well.

There’s so many skilled forwards to choose from it feels like you’re leaving untapped options on the table no matter who you choose to put on the powerplay or who you put on which unit. I think any one of these forwards could end up as a real asset on the power play if put in the right spot: gaudreau, monahan, tkachuk, Neal, backlund, lindholm, Bennett, czarnick, jankowski, eat bread, Foo.

Plus there’s still 4 skilled offensive-defensemen in giordano, Brodie, hanifin, and andersson. I feel all those guys can work on the powerplay. Becomes even more tough to choose who if the powerplay uses 4 forwards and one defenceman.

Lots of skill and not enough spots on the powerplay to go around. It’s a very good problem to have and it sounds like peters isn’t afraid to shuffle up line ups so I won’t be surprised if all those guys get good looks on the powerplay at some point.

Here’s my first attempt at picking the powerplay:

PP1:
Lindholm-monahan-gaudreau-tkachuk-giordano

PP2:
Czarnick-backlund-Neal-Brodie-hanifin

Heck, even a decent PP3 full of mostly Stockton guys:
Foo-Bennett-jankowski-eat bread-Andersson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stemit14; 07-04-2018 at 12:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 07-04-2018, 12:14 PM   #11
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Tkachuk
Neal Monahan Gaudreau
Giordano

Jankowski
Lindholm Ryan Czarnik
Brodie

Bennett
Hanifin Backlund Frolik
Stone

Three legit power play units

Backlund Frolik
Giordano Hamonic

Ryan Lindholm
Stone Hanifin

Jankowski Brouwer (small shifts, fill in when others need a rest)
Brodie Kulak
^this unit can be used when we are real tired
Old 07-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #12
Kickazzflames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Brouwer
Neal Monahan Gaudreau
Brodie

Brouwer
Lindholm Ryan Tkachuk
Hanifin

The Brouwer play has to pay off at some point.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kickazzflames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #13
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickazzflames View Post
Brouwer
Neal Monahan Gaudreau
Brodie

Brouwer
Lindholm Ryan Tkachuk
Hanifin

The Brouwer play has to pay off at some point.
#neverquit
Old 07-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #14
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickazzflames View Post

I never realized how small GG's head was, maybe his hair makes it look bigger.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #15
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

PP1 needs a shake up as it was inept for the vast majority of this past year. I think you need to inject Neal there. That way it's no longer a game of "can Gaudreau get the puck over to Monahan in the slot?" Two deadly shots makes it exponentially more threatening.

Monahan
Gaudreau - Ryan - Neal
Giordano

Tkachuk
Hanifin - Lindholm - Jankowski
Brodie

Bennett, Backlund, Brouwer just haven't been PP material and it's good we can finally sub better options in.

Last edited by djsFlames; 07-04-2018 at 03:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #16
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any indication of a 1-3-1 or a 3-2 being the preference?

I think it's unlikely we see Backlund on the PP much. Ryan and Neal slot in right away. Janko and Bennett secondary options. Czarnik, Foo, Mangiapane should get shots to see whether there is a fit, if and when they are in the lineup.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Brodie, Gio and Tkachuk are the mainstays.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #17
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get the whole shiny new toy thing, but can we recognize the players we acquired and what they are? Ryan does not kill penalties. Czarnik is a 13th forward. Neither are going to be special teams mainstays. If they are, Peters is. Or deploying his talent properly, or the Flames are way out of the mix for the post season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #18
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I get the whole shiny new toy thing, but can we recognize the players we acquired and what they are? Ryan does not kill penalties. Czarnik is a 13th forward. Neither are going to be special teams mainstays. If they are, Peters is. Or deploying his talent properly, or the Flames are way out of the mix for the post season.
Peters already basically guaranteed that Czarnik will get a ton of PP time, if not be a mainstay. Also, Czarnik is considered by Peters to be an "elite power-play player" and by the way Czarnik talked when being interviewed after signing, it seems Treliving and Peters basically told him he's going to be playing top 9 minutes and at minimum be an every day roster player.

Also guessing they didn't travel all the way down to meet with him in person and sign him to a 2-year/$2.5M contract just for him to be a 13th forward.

So....
Old 07-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #19
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

There's always the possibility that they told him all that just to get him to sign here.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #20
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
There's always the possibility that they told him all that just to get him to sign here.
If you're travelling to meet a young talented player who you think could "pop" (as Treliving mentioned) if put with the right linemates, I don't think you're gonna lie to the kid just to get him to sign a $1.25M per year contract so you can scratch him.
Closed Thread