Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #41
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
Ok well wait and see how much better the return is than that. See how many teams are willing to give up their 'Tkachuk's' for an aging, expensive, injury prone defenceman.

I don't even know what to say to this.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #42
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
Sorry I didnt do my research on injuries. Just heard hes had major injury issues in past. But he’s not young and just cause Doughty is getting 11 per doesnt mean he is cheap. Lots of teams that are contenders would have to dump unwanted cap to get him.
You were already wrong about injuries and are wrong anout him being. "Old" he's just hitting his prime
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #43
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that the Flames might be a possible destination.

Brodie + Stone + Bennett + 1st in 2019 for Karlsson would not be a bad return for the Sens. The Flames could then sign De Haan or something for depth purposes.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #44
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

A 3/4 D, a 6 D a third liner and a first rounder? Yeah, there are teams that would beat that easily.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #45
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

And this is why we don't use HF to form our hockey opinions. AT ALL.
Lanny'sDaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #46
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because of the way the CBA is written, no team other than the Senators can give Karlsson an 8-year extension until after the next trade deadline.

He would either have to wait until then to sign for 8; sign for 7 with a team that trades for him; or have a handshake deal with the Sens to sign an 8-year extension and immediately get traded.

A sign & trade would likely get a slightly better return for the Sens, so they'd likely be willing to do it.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #47
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
A 3/4 D, a 6 D a third liner and a first rounder? Yeah, there are teams that would beat that easily.
Calling Stone a 6th D is really undeserved in my opinion. Two years ago Stone and Brodie formed a good 2nd pairing on a team that made the playoffs. Being paired with Stone was the best Brodie has looked in 3 years (no idea why GG never tried that again... but that's another story). Stone also ably played top 4 in Arizona before that. Few teams can offer Ottawa a full 2nd pairing in trade. Brodie + Stone is worth more than you're insinuating.

I'm not saying the offer you quoted is enough either, but probably closer to doable for the Sens. If that was the offer for Karlsson plus Bobby Ryan, then I'd say the Flames are overpaying. Something like Brodie, Stone, Bennett, 2019 1st for Karlsson, Ryan, 2019 3rd might work for the Sens.

Edit: also, that offer won't work for the Flames Cap, so it probably can't happen anyway.

Last edited by mikephoen; 07-02-2018 at 07:17 PM.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #48
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we're serious about this as a fan base, then we have to be ok with talking tkachuk.

Tkachuk+stone+brouwer+1st 2019 for Karlsson resigned.

I wouldn't do it but it's interesting to consider.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #49
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
If we're serious about this as a fan base, then we have to be ok with talking tkachuk.

Tkachuk+stone+brouwer+1st 2019 for Karlsson resigned.

I wouldn't do it but it's interesting to consider.
Hmmmmmm ya thats gunna be a no from me dawg. Its not even interesting to consider tbh. There is no way i would be okay with trading tkachuk
FlamesNation23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FlamesNation23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #50
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesNation23 View Post
Hmmmmmm ya thats gunna be a no from me dawg. Its not even interesting to consider tbh. There is no way i would be okay with trading tkachuk
Fair enough. I dont think I'd trade him either but theres no way the sens touch a deal without him in it!
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #51
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

This may not be a popular opinion but I don't think Karlsson is worth it, not to the Flames anyway. If I was going to add anyone (in the same sort of situation) I'd add Brobovsky or Seguin or Kucherov or someone else. I know most of those guys, if not all of them, will be locked up by their current teams but if I was able to spend the same assets on a player it would be either a goalie or forward.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #52
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
This may not be a popular opinion but I don't think Karlsson is worth it, not to the Flames anyway. If I was going to add anyone (in the same sort of situation) I'd add Brobovsky or Seguin or Kucherov or someone else. I know most of those guys, if not all of them, will be locked up by their current teams but if I was able to spend the same assets on a player it would be either a goalie or forward.

If you can add the best defenceman of the generation, you do it and then trade one of your other defenceman for a forward or a goaltender. The guy is only 28 and IMO he's already a lock for the hall of fame.

Not that I think he has any interest in coming to Calgary in the first place. But if he did, do whatever to get him.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #53
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assume the Sens would want Tkachuk or Monahan in return +. No thanks our blueline is fine.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #54
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea I wouldn't love the idea of trading for him. But as a free agent? Yes plz.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #55
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see a team like Philly being a dark horse and offering Patrick and a 1st for him. He would do damn good for that team.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #56
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

If vegas is only one who is willing to take Ryan's contract, and its not a bad move for them he can replace perron in some capacity, i think he goes there
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:54 PM   #57
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a team were able to work out an extension for Karlsson prior, then you an pretty much guarantee the haul for the Sens will be extensive. They will want a 1st, a blue chip prospect, and probably a blue chip young player.

So for Flames, you'd have to imagine it'd be something like 2019 1st, Valimaki, and Tkachuk. And even then, you'll probably get competing offers with other teams.

Doesn't make sense for the Flames to give up so much when they're not that deep prospect wise.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:01 PM   #58
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
The Doughty deal would be incredible for Karlsson. I'd have to think he'd get a little more though.
I would rather have Doughty
Old 07-02-2018, 11:26 PM   #59
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is what I would want if I was Ottawa's GM:
Hanafin
Stone
Jankowski or Bennett
2019 1st round pick
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:08 AM   #60
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think a flames package would be Hamonic and young players/picks. The flames would need cap room and the sens need a RD to take Karlsson's place.

Probably want our stud D prospect, a first and another very good young player as well. Bennett, Valimaki, 1st, Hamonic seems on par with the vegas package of 2 good prospects and a 1st plus an nhl body. Though whether that package works depends on their opinion of Bennett. Maybe they prefer Jankowski or another team's prospects. The thing with those guys vs Glass from vegas is you don't even know if Glass will make the nhl. You already know the floor for janko and bennett and it is not bad... Depends on your perception of their ceiling.

Stone makes sense as a make weight too for salary and family reasons if they need to convince mark to stay but I think Hamonic would have to be the core piece Nhl player wise with the bigger ticket and more history playing a top 4 role.

Doubt Karlsson would want to sign here though to be honest but if they could work it somehow the flames become real contenders imo.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote