Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #881
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Raptors are definitely not the clear favorites in the East, especially since we don't actually know what Kawhi is going to be physically/mentally. Celtics did get to game 7 of the ECF at home without Kyrie and Hayward. Even if Kawhi is at the MVP level he was previously at, the Raps are not so much better than the Celtics they should be considered clear favorites.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #882
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I don't think you can look at this deal with the same lens that we do in hockey trades. The NBA is a superstar league and the Raptors just traded away a star for a superstar. I understand the concern that Kawhi bolts after this year but hopefully he changes his mind after actually living in the city. DeMar is from Cali and he grew to love TO so its not impossible.

The Raptors are the clear favorites now in the east in my opinion and with Lebron out west and unlikely to make the finals with the Lakers roster as it stands and GSW in their conference, TO has a very strong chance to make the finals. Excited for this season!

I guess I was in the same boat to hope and wish he'd sign back on the Raps, but I think the chances are next to nothing that he does. I watched a video on TSN yesterday where two guys i've never heard of were debating, and they mentioned that with the NBA rules, he was eligible to sign a 5 year deal and he declined and now he'll only be able to sign max 4 or 3 or something (can't remember the full context). But they pretty much said that he passed on $100MM which he will probably never get back, just so he could be home (LA and not SA). I have serious doubts he changes his mind after passing on that extra cash. This will be a one and done and the Raps will be gunning for that lottery pick in 2 years.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #883
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I look at this the more I wonder if a flip of Kawhi is in play.

Spurs didn't want to deal him in the West unless it was a complete overpayment - which is where Kawhi preferred to stay.

Raptors got a decent value in the trade since nobody else in the East seemed that interested.

Raptors could now flip Kawhi to the Lakers for a bunch of youth that helps accelerate the "re-build" and keep them as a long term contender with the young Celtics and Sixers cores.

They already have these guys under 25:

Fred VanVleet - 24
Siakam - 24
Anunoby - 21
Powell - 25

So if you could add 2 of Lonzo (21), Ingram (21), Hart (23), and Kuzma (23) to that group you will have a good young core, and then some cap space to try to add around them. Could see that being something that the Raptors could be thinking about.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-18-2018 at 11:46 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #884
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The protection of the pick (top 20 protected) definitely opens up flipping Kawhi to someone else, since tanking next year won't hurt if the pick is protected. That said, the Lakers probably weren't offering the Spurs much more than Ball and Hart, so not sure that's gonna be of much interest to Masai. Lakers are actually incentivized to wait now that Kawhi has given up the supermax, they likely don't beat the Warriors next year even if they get Kawhi now, so might as well wait and only offer low balls.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #885
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kuzma, Ingram sure, but the rest, complete pass. Interesting thought on the flip though, as to my knowledge, Sr. Management hasn't done any interviews yet. Something could be up, who knows.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #886
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Raps would have to wait 60 days to flip Kawhi. I don't see that as the play here, and actually think the Lakers must love this because it's a lot less desirable from a basketball standpoint vs Boston or Philly.

If anything this deal gives the Lakers more ammunition to just wait it out.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #887
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

kawhi is such a baby
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #888
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
leonard is such a kawhi baby
fyp
jessnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jessnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #889
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Raps would have to wait 60 days to flip Kawhi. I don't see that as the play here, and actually think the Lakers must love this because it's a lot less desirable from a basketball standpoint vs Boston or Philly.

If anything this deal gives the Lakers more ammunition to just wait it out.
Only if he is packaged with somebody else on the Raptors I think.

If he is the only piece moving from the Raptors I think they can flip him.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #890
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like it. DeRozan and Lowry had three cracks at the Cavaliers, and they won what, two games? Three?

If Kyle Lowry is upset they traded his buddy, they should trade Lowry too. You just got Kawhi Leonard. You're all in this year. If it doesn't work, who cares. You tried.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #891
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

So is this a done deal?

And I could've never expected that DeRozan is being shipped out earlier than Lowry....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #892
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been officially announced on both teams Twitter pages. Leonard still has to pass his physical I suppose, and given how bizarre this whole thing with him has gone, he could very well fail it.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #893
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank god, amazing trade. Kawhi leaves then the rebuild starts, Derozan was a very very good player for the raptors but was very poor every time vs the Cavs in the playoffs . Compare that to how Jason Tatum looked vs Lebron and you can see that Derozan is just a very good player, not a great one. Poetl is nothing special as well. Good job by Masai, excited to see Kawhi play for the raptors.

I’m honestly surprised the spurs accept d this. Derozan doesn’t move tha ball well and reverts to Iso ball when the game gets close. Will be interesting to see how he does.

Last edited by Beninho; 07-18-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #894
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
^^^But there aren't any real significant pieces out there to get with your best asset, DeRozan, gone. Best case is to target another 2019 UFA and see if you can get his current team to give up on signing him. And that way you've basically gone all in with the hedge being an instant tank into the top 3 next year.
The problem with that is that regardless of whether they resign Leonard or not, they won't have the space to get another big UFA signing. They'd need to find a way to move another big contract without taking back a lot of salary (or get an expiring). And if they don't move Lowry, they probably aren't going to be bad enough to truly tank with him still here... maybe late lottery at worst.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:02 PM   #895
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, what I meant was you trade for another star who is going to be a UFA in 2019 (like Jimmy Butler for instance). So really go all-in on this year if you think Kawhi is definitely leaving. As long as you don't move any meaningful picks it should be pursued, but that should be easy since the Raps have a lot of young guys teams would want. That way you can really tank because yeah as you mention, they aren't gonna be bad enough to be bottom five in the league even if they lose Kawhi and Lowry.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #896
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I'm thinking this out logically, I'm thinking Lowry is out the door before the season starts, along with Powell. For one, getting rid of both guys gets them under the luxury tax. Secondly, we all know Lowry can be more than a little sulky. If he gets passive aggressive with Leonard, this could get ugly, and there's no way they can risk that if they're going all in with Leonard. I could also see Ibaka dealt with picks and money for a quicker shooter. Masai's got a lot of options here, but I'd be shocked if this the end of it. I wonder if Miami would deal Olynyk considering they like their blockers (Ibaka). Raps should also look to get a real leader in place to calm everyone down when times get rough.

edit: when I look at realistic targets, Thaddeus Young or Derrick Favours could fit the bill instead of Olynyk

Last edited by bluejays; 07-18-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #897
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let’s just hope Kawhi reports!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 12:12 AM   #898
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

This trade doesn't seem good to me unless they win a championship this season or re-sign Leonard, and I doubt they'll do either.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:56 AM   #899
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
This trade doesn't seem good to me unless they win a championship this season or re-sign Leonard, and I doubt they'll do either.
I guess Masai’s main goal this upcoming season will be to sign Leonard. I think it’s next to impossible personally. Sometimes in corporation you bite off more than you can chew and this certainly looks like one of those situations where confidence and setting unrealistic goal expectations outweighs logic. He’s pretty much made it known he’s dying to go home. Good luck convincing him to stay up north. But I’m not a CEO.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #900
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lets keep in mind that an "unnamed League source" told ESPN that Kawhi has no interest in playing in Toronto and now everyone is taking that as gospel. Lets wait and here from the man himself before losing it over the rumour mill.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire them all , i'm better than ibaka , kawhi so serious? , lebronto , time to go nuclear