Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #161
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I think Foo is the closest Heat forward to being an NHLer. Though I bet even if he's better than Lazar/Hathaway/Brouwer, he probably still goes to the A cause of the new depth and the playing meaningful minutes argument.

What I found that made Foo more effective in his stint was he simplified his game more and went to the scoring areas without hesitance, whereas Breadnoms was kinda still playing his AHL game during his.
Good luck going to the net with the linemates that Mangiapane had. I feel like there should be some kind of sarcastic animation with Mangiapane growing a beard as he waits for an opportunity in front of the net to illustrate my point.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #162
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Points per game in the AHL last year, forwards, 21 years old or younger, 10+ games played:

1. Andrew Mangiapane - 1.18
2. Jack Roslovic - 1.09
3. Michael Amadio - 1.09
4. Denis Malgin - 1.08
5. Dylan Strome - 1.06
6. Nic Merkeley - 1.03
7. Daniel Sprong - 1.00
8. Sammy Blais - 0.95
9. Vlad Kaminev - 0.94
10. Kasperi Kapanen - 0.86

So yeah...
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #163
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what a deep team looks like - NHL ready prospects (at least arguably so) being pushed down to the farm.

Just to illustrate for depth, not necessarily line combos:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik
Frolik - Ryan - Lazar
Brouwer

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Andersson

Where does a prospect displace a vet? I think the Flames use Brouwer and Lazar interchangeably - wave Lazar, and he gets picked up. I think he is useful - great speed and physicality, good defensive ability and I am curious to see how Peters utilizes him, and if we see an uptick in his offence. I think he gets claimed, but I would rather see how he looks in a better system. He had spurts where he looked very effective last season.

Brouwer - I would rather him be the 13th forward than a prospect. Flames will play him, and though he is overpriced, I thought defensively he was strong. You don't lose games with Brouwer in the lineup - he just doesn't push the needle far enough given his salary. Curious to see how Peters fits him in.

Forwards that I think could make the squad:
Foo - Looked like a completely different player than the one that showed up at training camp. Assertive out on the ice, physical, but you could see he was a bit nervous at handling the puck. I thought he impressed in his call-up.

Mangiapane - It is hard to tell how offensive you are when you are playing with Brouwer and Stajan, but he showed flashes. I really had my doubts about him, but I see him now as a can't miss NHL'er.

Dube - I still think the easy choice is to get him some seasoning. It won't hurt his development at all, and it isn't like he is going to be a driving force in his rookie year. Let him earn a call-up with strong play in the AHL.

Quine, Robinson and especially Ehliz I am not familiar with enough to have an opinion, but all three seem like solid depth.

Klimchuk could be in the mix. We will have to see. I think this is the cut-off point for me. I don't see an NHL player in Shinkaruk, and the rest are too young.

On defence, I think you will see a bigger fight.

Prout makes sense as a 7th defencemen. Again, you don't want a prospect or a young developing player sitting for long periods of time.

Top 4 are probably set in stone - that leaves the bottom pairing. Kulak and Stone obviously have the inside track, but Andersson is pushing, and I bet that Kylington impresses again. Hogstrom is another guy that is pushing. I think Valimaki will really have to make a tremendous push - his contract will slide in the AHL IIRC, so it isn't like the Flames are in dire need of Valimaki making the push this year. There is a lot of depth on the left side.

I think when you are rebuilding, there is one rule:
If a young guy equals a vet on the team, the vet gets displaced.

However, when you are trying to compete, depth is so important. You want to maintain as much depth as possible. A young player has to make a bigger push to force his team to make room. In a long playoff run, it is nice having depth. Playoffs are often a war of attrition.

With that said, I think Trelving makes a move in the forward core. I don't think he makes a move on defence, as he has made reference to adding further depth. WHo knows.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #164
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Who in their right mind would pick up Lazar?

He's not an NHLer. He turns 24 this season, so he isn't really even a prospect anymore. What you see is what you get. Not much.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #165
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
This is what a deep team looks like - NHL ready prospects (at least arguably so) being pushed down to the farm.

Just to illustrate for depth, not necessarily line combos:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik
Frolik - Ryan - Lazar
Brouwer

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Andersson

Where does a prospect displace a vet? I think the Flames use Brouwer and Lazar interchangeably - wave Lazar, and he gets picked up. I think he is useful - great speed and physicality, good defensive ability and I am curious to see how Peters utilizes him, and if we see an uptick in his offence. I think he gets claimed, but I would rather see how he looks in a better system. He had spurts where he looked very effective last season.

Brouwer - I would rather him be the 13th forward than a prospect. Flames will play him, and though he is overpriced, I thought defensively he was strong. You don't lose games with Brouwer in the lineup - he just doesn't push the needle far enough given his salary. Curious to see how Peters fits him in.

Forwards that I think could make the squad:
Foo - Looked like a completely different player than the one that showed up at training camp. Assertive out on the ice, physical, but you could see he was a bit nervous at handling the puck. I thought he impressed in his call-up.

Mangiapane - It is hard to tell how offensive you are when you are playing with Brouwer and Stajan, but he showed flashes. I really had my doubts about him, but I see him now as a can't miss NHL'er.

Dube - I still think the easy choice is to get him some seasoning. It won't hurt his development at all, and it isn't like he is going to be a driving force in his rookie year. Let him earn a call-up with strong play in the AHL.

Quine, Robinson and especially Ehliz I am not familiar with enough to have an opinion, but all three seem like solid depth.

Klimchuk could be in the mix. We will have to see. I think this is the cut-off point for me. I don't see an NHL player in Shinkaruk, and the rest are too young.

On defence, I think you will see a bigger fight.

Prout makes sense as a 7th defencemen. Again, you don't want a prospect or a young developing player sitting for long periods of time.

Top 4 are probably set in stone - that leaves the bottom pairing. Kulak and Stone obviously have the inside track, but Andersson is pushing, and I bet that Kylington impresses again. Hogstrom is another guy that is pushing. I think Valimaki will really have to make a tremendous push - his contract will slide in the AHL IIRC, so it isn't like the Flames are in dire need of Valimaki making the push this year. There is a lot of depth on the left side.

I think when you are rebuilding, there is one rule:
If a young guy equals a vet on the team, the vet gets displaced.

However, when you are trying to compete, depth is so important. You want to maintain as much depth as possible. A young player has to make a bigger push to force his team to make room. In a long playoff run, it is nice having depth. Playoffs are often a war of attrition.

With that said, I think Trelving makes a move in the forward core. I don't think he makes a move on defence, as he has made reference to adding further depth. WHo knows.
Maybe a prospect could displace one of the Froliks in the lineup?
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:34 PM   #166
LiquidX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post

He's not an NHLer. He turns 24 this season, so he isn't really even a prospect anymore. What you see is what you get. Not much.
I think he has value as a 4th liner with ability to move up to fill injury. He's got wheels, plays with energy, likes to hit (130 in 65gp last year), and is only getting paid like 800k/yr. Maybe he has more pudding than porridge in the bucket sometimes.. but what do you expect from a 4th line guy. Plus he's still pretty damned young, has a couple hundred games worth of experience under his belt already, and has no qualms about his role on the team.

All of that sounds pretty appealing to me. Don't forget we're still washing off the Ottawa stink - where by many accounts (media) he was not given proper development opportunities.

Guess it depends on your expectations.

By the way, he turns 24 in February. Saying "he turns 24 this season" while true, seems a bit disingenuous.

Last edited by LiquidX; 07-04-2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added age comment
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:52 PM   #167
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post

Wait, what? Austin Czarnik (25) is the second coming and certain to garner PP time, but Curtis Lazar is not worthy of a pick? What are people smoking right now? Czarnik scored a whopping 4 points last year in the NHL, and 17 in his NHL career. Lazar scored 12 points last season in limited ice time. Yet one is a highly prized UFA and the other is worthless? I know its goof season, but things have truly gotten goofy.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 07:00 AM   #168
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

To be fair, Czarnik has those 17 points in only 59 total NHL games. .288 ppg
Lazar has played 245 NHL games and garnered only 51 points. .208 ppg

Still not worthless though.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:13 AM   #169
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I actually thought Lazar had turned it around a little over the last ten or so games (however meaningless they were), at least in terms of his play. Still no points but showed improvement.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #170
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Wait, what? Austin Czarnik (25) is the second coming and certain to garner PP time, but Curtis Lazar is not worthy of a pick? What are people smoking right now? Czarnik scored a whopping 4 points last year in the NHL, and 17 in his NHL career. Lazar scored 12 points last season in limited ice time. Yet one is a highly prized UFA and the other is worthless? I know its goof season, but things have truly gotten goofy.
At this point in his career we know what Lazar is in the NHL by now; maybe he can become a 10 G 10A guy but he’s a 4th line energy guy who might be able to last on a third line if he peaks a little further but his hands are far too unskilled to ever catch up with his one true asset which is speed. For him to lengthen his career he’s going to have to commit to being a role player/energy guy who’s good for 8-10 mins a night and he needs to commit to physically laying his body on the line with hits and blocked shots to do that.

With Czarnik we have a guy who’s talent has been largely untapped/unexplored at the NHL level - does he produce at a higher clip than a Lazar? Who knows at this point but his AHL totals lead to a narrative that says he is a lot more highly skilled than Lazar and if he is able to lengthen his pro career at the NHL level it won’t be through commiting to a energy role on the 4th line but to a scoring role which is what his skill set dictates.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting Czarnik is better than Lazar at this point in time but I think people are hedging their bets that there is a pretty good chance he will be by next off-season.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #171
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t feel that way about Czarnik either.

But, yeah, a lot of “shiny new toy” syndrome around.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #172
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Czarnik played 10 games and Lazar played 65

add 69 AHL points for Czarnik in 64 games...the guy has far more potential than Lazar come on now

Last edited by dino7c; 07-05-2018 at 01:44 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #173
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/...es=2017-2018:E

eta: this page can't possibly be right - posters are correct - he had 10 games. Weird.

I've seen stuff on dobber that makes me not trust their numbers any more.
You're basing your analysis on the preseason.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #174
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
You're basing your analysis on the preseason.
Yeah, that's been noted. For some reason that page pulled up for me by mistake.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #175
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Czarnik played 10 games and Lazar played 65

add 69 AHL points for Czarnik in 64 games...the guy has far more potential than Lazar come on now
What were Lazar's AHL numbers? Yeah that's what I thought. He would tear that league apart given the chance.
Kipper_3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #176
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
What were Lazar's AHL numbers? Yeah that's what I thought. He would tear that league apart given the chance.
Yea, his 4 points in 13 AHL games in the 2016-17 season was quite remarkable
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #177
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Maybe a prospect could displace one of the Froliks in the lineup?

No.

You get a Frolik. And you get a Frolik. And you...just get a Fro.

As for the Lazar talk, I don't think we know what exactly he is. I also thought that late into the season as he actually received regular playing time rather than being scratched every so often, he started finding his groove. That's a solid forechecker there. I would rather wait and see what he becomes. Even if all he will be is a 10 goal scorer playing off the 4th line, that still might be an effective player.

He has wheels, plays with some sandpaper to his game, and he seems to have a decent enough IQ. I like him. I don't see how he would pass through waivers, even at the end of the pre-season as teams are finalizing their rosters. I think he will improve this season, but how much and what kind of a ceiling he attains in his career is remains a bit of a mystery. I think having that speed, forechecking ability and sandpaper to his game makes him a decent 4th liner today on a cheap contract, and he may yet take a few steps forward.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 07:29 PM   #178
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lazar needs a damn shooting coach...

Oh wait we just signed Neal.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #179
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The beatiful thing is now we don't NEED Lazar find another level.

If he does, great. It'll be a nice bonus.

If not, then meh, he can be the 13th forward.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 07:36 PM   #180
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Lazar needs a damn shooting coach...

Oh wait we just signed Neal.
Lol so true on both points made.