Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
@TSNBobMcKenzie
Trade is one for one: Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall.

12:34 PM - 29 Jun 2016
Still makes me chuckle. If you're ever having a bad day you can always just look back on that trade and imagine most GM's and Bob McKenzie's jaws just hitting the floor.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #42
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wasn't Eberle for Strome also a 1 for 1 trade too?
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #43
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Wasn't Eberle for Strome also a 1 for 1 trade too?
Yup. Not quite as one sided, but still a steal. And Strome underperformed slightly from the previous year while Eberle improved.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #44
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would've been fine with signing Hall as a UFA, but after reading this Sportsnet article, I would be 100% in for bringing him to the team, and I don't see him as a NJD in 2 years.

http://"http://www.sportsnet.ca/hock...vares/sn-amp/"

“You get older. You mature. My game is a lot more relaxed. I come into the pressure of games a bit more relaxed,” Hall explains. “That’s just part of growing up. Maybe part of the frustration I had my first few years in Edmonton, I don’t feel that anymore.”

"“It’s the [Devante] Smith-Pellys. It’s the Jay Beagles. It’s those guys that really make the difference as games go on, as series go on. Hopefully as our team grows, we can have those [type of] guys on our team. We can add to what we have on our first line,” Hall says.

New Jersey has done exactly not that.

Sitting out free agency, GM Ray Shero has $19.6 million in projected cap space, more than every team except Winnipeg (and the Jets will use its budget on locking up pricey RFAs Jacob Trouba and Josh Morrissey). New Jersey watched John Moore, Michael Grabner, Patrick Maroon and Brian Gibbons all walk.

“Those are big guys for us. Yeah, we’re gonna have to find a way to make up for that. Those are guys who played key roles on our team, whether they were trade deadline [pickups] or guys who came into camp and surprised and made a huge difference for us,” Hall says.

“I would love to see us add a couple more pieces, but at the end of the day, that’s not my job. My job is to come into camp as healthy as possible, as committed as possible.”

“You want the recognition. You want the pressure. You want the accolades. All that,” Hall says.

“But at the end of the day, it’s about helping your team and winning hockey games. I was able to do that more often than not last year, and that’s what made it so fun. I’m not after the points or anything like that.

“At the end of my career I want to be able to say I’m a Stanley Cup winner and I really had an impact on the teams I played on.”
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #45
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the currently signed Flames team for 2021, I don't know how you wouldn't break the bank for Hall if given the opportunity.

Hall-Monahan(6.375)-Gaudreau(6.75)
Tkachuk(contract pending)-Lindholm(4.85)-Neal(5.75)
-Backlund(5.35)-
-Ryan(3.125)-

Giordano(6.75)-
Hanifin(contract pending)-

That's the foundation for a contending team in 2021. No noticeably bad contracts, unless players degrade significantly, center depth, stacked top six, young players like Jankowski, Bennett, Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington to fill out the roster without needing to be core players (bonus if they are).

Really only missing a top pairing defenseman, and of course a goalie.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #46
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can easily move Tkachuk to RW if need be and Lindholm at C if Hall signed with us.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Hall - Lindholm - Neal
Bennett - Backlund - Czarnik
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #47
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just sign Hall and Pietrangelo to 10M contracts that off-season and go in with a two-year window to win the cup with this lineup:

Hall(10)-Monahan(6.375)-Gaudreau(6.75)
Tkachuk(6.375)-Lindholm(4.85)-Neal(5.75)
Bennett(~2.5)-Backlund(5.35)-Jankowski(~2.5)
Phillips(0.733)-Ryan(3.125)-Dube(0.778)
(~1)
(~0.8)

Giordano(6.75)-Pietrangelo(10)
Hanifin(4.85)-Valimaki(0.894)
Kylington(~1)-Andersson(~1)
(~0.8)

Goalie(4)
Backup(1.5)

Easy, I should be GM. Only problem is that the bottom 6 is literally all 'centers' so you make do.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #48
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
I would've been fine with signing Hall as a UFA, but after reading this Sportsnet article, I would be 100% in for bringing him to the team, and I don't see him as a NJD in 2 years.

http://"http://www.sportsnet.ca/hock...vares/sn-amp/"

“You get older. You mature. My game is a lot more relaxed. I come into the pressure of games a bit more relaxed,” Hall explains. “That’s just part of growing up. Maybe part of the frustration I had my first few years in Edmonton, I don’t feel that anymore.”

"“It’s the [Devante] Smith-Pellys. It’s the Jay Beagles. It’s those guys that really make the difference as games go on, as series go on. Hopefully as our team grows, we can have those [type of] guys on our team. We can add to what we have on our first line,” Hall says.

New Jersey has done exactly not that.

Sitting out free agency, GM Ray Shero has $19.6 million in projected cap space, more than every team except Winnipeg (and the Jets will use its budget on locking up pricey RFAs Jacob Trouba and Josh Morrissey). New Jersey watched John Moore, Michael Grabner, Patrick Maroon and Brian Gibbons all walk.

“Those are big guys for us. Yeah, we’re gonna have to find a way to make up for that. Those are guys who played key roles on our team, whether they were trade deadline [pickups] or guys who came into camp and surprised and made a huge difference for us,” Hall says.

“I would love to see us add a couple more pieces, but at the end of the day, that’s not my job. My job is to come into camp as healthy as possible, as committed as possible.”

“You want the recognition. You want the pressure. You want the accolades. All that,” Hall says.

“But at the end of the day, it’s about helping your team and winning hockey games. I was able to do that more often than not last year, and that’s what made it so fun. I’m not after the points or anything like that.

“At the end of my career I want to be able to say I’m a Stanley Cup winner and I really had an impact on the teams I played on.”
Wow. Spoken like a true non-Oiler. I’m happy he seems to have matured a lot.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote