Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #61
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good god I hated Rogers.

I live in Kensington so I was close to a wind store. Checked it out about 6 months ago and have been on it since. My bill got cut in half and I get more with my current plan (which is basically unlimited everything, talk text CAN/US long distance, data, BES for work, plus add-ons). So how can I complain? When I go to Van or Tor it still works fine. My work allows me to use either a blackberry or an iphone. Wind doesn't have iphones, so I figured out what it'd cost me on Rogers to get a more or less comparable plan on one with them. It was more than triple my current monthly bill. No thanks.

Now, in between major cities, you're basically paying roaming. But who cares? For the amount of time I'm somewhere "in between" major urban centres I can either turn off my phone since I'm on a plane anyway, or pay the roaming charges, it's not like they're going to end up bringing my bill to anywhere near the cost it was at before.

This is just a no-brainer from where I stand.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AR_Six For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #62
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How is the reception on Wind? Is there any trouble getting a signal in buildings or downtown?
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #63
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

got the nexus to try out with them yesterday since i didn't want to port my # over till i tried it out....was great till i got to work. haven't been able to get data at all downtown though i can still send/receive texts. maybe it's because it is running low on battery so gonna try it again tomorrow and bring the charger, but probably going to return it and unfortunately pay $20 more per month to rogers :/
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #64
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by secol View Post
got the nexus to try out with them yesterday since i didn't want to port my # over till i tried it out....was great till i got to work. haven't been able to get data at all downtown though i can still send/receive texts. maybe it's because it is running low on battery so gonna try it again tomorrow and bring the charger, but probably going to return it and unfortunately pay $20 more per month to rogers :/
I'm seriously considering switching to wind when my contract is up and that's a concern of mine as well. Does anyone know if wind run most of their data on AWS or another frequency? AWS/1900 is horrible for going through concrete and other larger buildings. 850 is a lot better. Maybe that is the problem.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #65
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Meh, I never have a problem in Banker's Hall. I don't find the reception to be much different from Rogers. Although I do not get much reception in underground pubs.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #66
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

yeah i'm hoping it's because it's low on battery. but i walked to the corner of 8th ave and 5th street but still got no data. what phone do you use?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #67
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Blackberry Bold 9780.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #68
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I'm seriously considering switching to wind when my contract is up and that's a concern of mine as well. Does anyone know if wind run most of their data on AWS or another frequency? AWS/1900 is horrible for going through concrete and other larger buildings. 850 is a lot better. Maybe that is the problem.
Far as I know, they use AWS for everything. That is why people complain about poor service. The 700mhz spectrum auction that is supposed to be happening early next year will hopefully allow them to purchase some spectrum so they ca offer better service.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #69
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wind isn't perfect that's for sure. I miss calls a fair amount and the reception isn't great in buildings.

With that said, I would never go back to Robellus paying more than double for less than half of the offering than Wind.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #70
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

with the new plans it's not as big of a difference ($20 more per month).......i realized that i wasn't all too familiar with the phone and that once the connection was lost in the elevator it never automatically reconnected. so i guess i'll try again tomorrow since being able to receive/send text msgs should mean that i can access data as well.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #71
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I dunno man. I currently pay just over 32 bucks a month for unlimited Canada/US calling, unlimited text, unlimited data, full package of add-ons and BES for work. Switching to Rogers would be up around $100 for all that.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #72
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yes I have unlimited everything including US calling for $40 with no contact. There's no way I get a similar deal with the major telecom scum.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #73
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

pretty happy since it works well enough after i fixed the connection issue....seems like it's a common problem with the nexus (reconnecting after you lose data). quick airplane mode on/off fixed it. going back to wind to get the galaxy s3 on the weekend
Old 08-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #74
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Yes I have unlimited everything including US calling for $40 with no contact. There's no way I get a similar deal with the major telecom scum.
I wouldn't say that.

I have unlimited text, anytime calling and roaming in north America with 6gb data and my bill is $60 +tax from Rogers. I know it may be $20 more a month but the LTE availability and actually coverage are worth it for me.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #75
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

yeah that plan was what i was referring to in terms of similar plans being $20+ more than wind. but pretty sure for most regular users wind is enough (provided you can get a signal where you usually are)
Old 08-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #76
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I wouldn't say that.

I have unlimited text, anytime calling and roaming in north America with 6gb data and my bill is $60 +tax from Rogers. I know it may be $20 more a month but the LTE availability and actually coverage are worth it for me.
And did you sign a contract for that pleasure?
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #77
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

windtab/windtab+ works out to be similar to a contract
Old 08-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #78
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah as far as rogers goes that deal is pretty good, but when I was looking a month and a half ago nothing close to that was apparent.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #79
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Generally the plans from the Big 3 still do not include call display in there offer ($7) and have other fees tacked on. 3.95 system access, 911 etc. so the real cost of any of those plans is always at least $10 more than the advertized cost

This pushes the $60 dollar rogers plan over 70 and into the almost double category.

Last edited by GGG; 08-10-2012 at 10:41 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #80
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by secol View Post
windtab/windtab+ works out to be similar to a contract
That wasn't my question. I don't have windtab or any of that. I pay $40 a month. Sometimes when I go away I don't pay that $40 because I don't need it. Do you have the luxury with Robellus?