Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #501
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t always love trade proposals, but when I do, they revolve around picking up trash from the bottom feeding Oilers.

There is not a player I’d take from the Oilers outside of McDavid and Draisatl, and certainly not a single player I have any interest in trading them “fair” value for.

The Oilers suck. Their team sucks. They all suck. Lucic sucks. Kassian sucks. Russell sucks. Pool party sucks.

You know who makes James Neal look good? The entirety of the Edmonton Oilers.

Neal for McDavid. Edmonton adds.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #502
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

A big NO to trading Bennett.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #503
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

These Oiler trade proposals have been vomit-inducing.

I know some people are no longer keen on Bennett, but even if that is how you feel, trading him to the Oilers is the absolute last thing you can do with him. He is SURE to be a 70 point guy on McDavid's wing, and I can't imagine how gut-wrenching it would be to watch that unfold. Then imagine what Oiler fans would be like.

I would quit hockey.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #504
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
To see Staples comment on the Bennett tweet by Staufer with Lucic+Puljujarvi for Neal and Bennett made me want to puke. Horrendously bad deal for Calgary.
Neal is more valuable than Lucic
Bennett is a useful NHLer, JP is still a fringe prospect
That's awful for the Flames and you'd have to drug Treliving to get him to even talk about that proposal.

Staples is so dumb. They think their basement dweller spare parts are worth much, much more than they actually are.

Fair value in real life looks more like Neal and a 3rd for Lucic and JP. Sorry to break that to ya, captain pom poms.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #505
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll preface by saying I am a huge fan of Bennett. I was so excited when we drafted him...more excited than when we drafted Monahan or Tkachuk.

But I feel like he's starting to get seriously overvalued on here. If Sam Bennett was on the Canadiens, we would value him as much as Flames fans value Lehkonen. If he was a Bruin, he would be valued like Heinen. He's only a tier or two better than a dime a dozen type player.

Bennett tops out as a 40 point guy. Playing with McDavid, maybe he gets 50. His feistiness is admirable, but the guy doesn't have great awareness. He trips and stumbles his way to the front of the net where the puck will hit his ass and bounce in. He's got a pretty muffin shot. He's not overly allusive or shifty, doesn't create space well. He plays with a mentality of mucking things up and hope something good happens.

All that said, he's not worthless. He's a darn useful player. But so is Nuge. If there's a deal like Brodie + Bennett for Nuge + Pulju you take it as a Flames fan 10/10.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #506
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Neal at his worst is just plain better then Lucic. His contract is better, he is still useful. I actually would be ok with him getting another run at things. Lucic is just going to keep getting slower, and for his vaunted toughness, there were occassions where he walked away from battles. He's the ultimate, collect his money without getting hurt guy.

Bennett is far better then Poolparty. At least Bennett at his worst brings something to the table in other aspects of his game. Poolparty doesn't bring much to the table. He's been bad in the AHL and the NHL, he's just not suited to the NHL.

If Edmonton wants to do Neal and Bennett for Lucic and Poolparty, I would want a massive over payment ad on, like their first round pick not lottery protected. If they can't except that they they can flake off.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #507
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
I'll preface by saying I am a huge fan of Bennett. I was so excited when we drafted him...more excited than when we drafted Monahan or Tkachuk.

But I feel like he's starting to get seriously overvalued on here. If Sam Bennett was on the Canadiens, we would value him as much as Flames fans value Lehkonen. If he was a Bruin, he would be valued like Heinen. He's only a tier or two better than a dime a dozen type player.

Bennett tops out as a 40 point guy. Playing with McDavid, maybe he gets 50. His feistiness is admirable, but the guy doesn't have great awareness. He trips and stumbles his way to the front of the net where the puck will hit his ass and bounce in. He's got a pretty muffin shot. He's not overly allusive or shifty, doesn't create space well. He plays with a mentality of mucking things up and hope something good happens.

All that said, he's not worthless. He's a darn useful player. But so is Nuge. If there's a deal like Brodie + Bennett for Nuge + Pulju you take it as a Flames fan 10/10.
But in what world do we want to trade Sam "Not Worthless" Bennett for Poolparty? What's the advantage there? We then just HOPE he becomes at least as good as Sam Bennett (which he isn't even close to yet)?

If there's a deal like Brodie + Bennett for Nuge + PP you say "That's nice, we don't want PP, so how about Brodie and a pick for Nuge, thanks!"
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #508
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No you don't.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #509
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
But in what world do we want to trade Sam "Not Worthless" Bennett for Poolparty? What's the advantage there? We then just HOPE he becomes at least as good as Sam Bennett (which he isn't even close to yet)?

If there's a deal like Brodie + Bennett for Nuge + PP you say "That's nice, we don't want PP, so how about Brodie and a pick for Nuge, thanks!"
You're right, I have a bit of a soft spot for Poolparty. I remember watching the Pulju-Aho-Laine line tear it up. I think he's salvageable and if developed properly, can break out to a similar extent as Lindholm. I don't feel the same about Bennett. That's just my gut feeling.

If Brodie + pick gets Nuge, I'm all for it. I just assume Edmonton wants Bennett based on the Stauffer tweet and I'm saying I'd be willing to give him up if we get Nuge and PP.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #510
Flamette
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Firmly disagree, Nuge could still be a huge win for us, as long as we are only giving up Brodie with a small add.

Otherwise though, let's stay far the F away. Lol at staples suggestion... I wouldn't even do that if the oilers included their next two 1sts.
Look how many people are questioning if we can win with Monahan. RNH is no answer. Least not for what it would take to acquire him.

Last edited by Flamette; 07-12-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Flamette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #511
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, I would do that deal. RNH is a more effective player than Bennett, and we can afford to unload Brodie with our D-depth. With proper development we probably turn JP into at least a Bennett caliber player in a couple years. For Edmonton they could use offense at the D position, and Brodie provides that. None of their D carry the puck well up ice so that could add an element that's appealing to them. They can "get tough" with Bennett and try to shoehorn him into a C role again. Or attempt to make him McDs winger like all new acquisitions and try Leon at the 2C role again.

Edmonton gives up the best player and a project, and in return they get two players that will contribute now and bring elements they're severely lacking, at two positions. Calgary unloads Brodie's contract and gets closer to that center depth they're seeking that can win. It makes more sense than that Neal + Bennett for Lucic + JP vomit.

Last edited by djsFlames; 07-12-2019 at 03:00 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #512
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
You're right, I have a bit of a soft spot for Poolparty. I remember watching the Pulju-Aho-Laine line tear it up. I think he's salvageable and if developed properly, can break out to a similar extent as Lindholm. I don't feel the same about Bennett. That's just my gut feeling.

If Brodie + pick gets Nuge, I'm all for it. I just assume Edmonton wants Bennett based on the Stauffer tweet and I'm saying I'd be willing to give him up if we get Nuge and PP.

My gut feeling on poolparty. He doesn't have an NHL brain pan, he has no clue where the seams are on the ice. His shoot vs pass decision making is terrible. And if he's not putting up points, he's wandering around the ice aimlessly.

I see a lot of Yak in him, except Yak maybe had a better motor.

There are little things about Poolparty as well. You can blame the Oilers all you want on the cultural issues or language issues, but it says a lot that he didn't take the bull by the horns and pay for english lessons.

I don't see NHL determination out of him either. He's going to be a great player in Europe.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #513
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamette View Post
Look how many people are questioning if we can win with Monahan. RNH is no answer.
I don't mind RNH as a player. But looking at the Flames specifically, the idea of Monahan, RNH, Backlund (especially at about $18M) is a non-starter for me. Too soft and similar as a group.

No way am I spending all my best trading assets (Brodie and Bennett) for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #514
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
My gut feeling on poolparty. He doesn't have an NHL brain pan, he has no clue where the seams are on the ice. His shoot vs pass decision making is terrible. And if he's not putting up points, he's wandering around the ice aimlessly.

I see a lot of Yak in him, except Yak maybe had a better motor.

There are little things about Poolparty as well. You can blame the Oilers all you want on the cultural issues or language issues, but it says a lot that he didn't take the bull by the horns and pay for english lessons.

I don't see NHL determination out of him either. He's going to be a great player in Europe.
All fair points. Also a red flag for me was when Jarmo passed on him in the draft. Who knows, I still think it's the Oilers system but maybe it's him.

I still think Nuge is an upgrade on Bennett, and Brodie is a tradable asset given our depth, like djsflames said.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #515
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like RNH as a player. I think he's a decent two way player. I think he's a high character guy too who would pop when away from Edmonton.
He's not physical though, which indeed means it's not addressing that need.
I think he and Tkachuk would form a great second scoring line though.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #516
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I like RNH as a player. I think he's a decent two way player. I think he's a high character guy too who would pop when away from Edmonton.
He's not physical though, which indeed means it's not addressing that need.
I think he and Tkachuk would form a great second scoring line though.
RNH also spent a big chunk of last season playing with Pull an RV, Lucic, Chassion, Kharia and Kassian . If he could play consistently with better line-mates his production would be much better.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:23 PM   #517
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One of these things is not like the other.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #518
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't mind RNH as a player. But looking at the Flames specifically, the idea of Monahan, RNH, Backlund (especially at about $18M) is a non-starter for me. Too soft and similar as a group.

No way am I spending all my best trading assets (Brodie and Bennett) for that.
Monahan and backlund aren't soft players I would say, but neither are hard grinding players for sure I certainly think that they often get that rap around here in the offseason but both can take a hit and do work in the dirty areas (Monahan makes a living in the dirtiest area possible.) Nuge I think brings more playmaking than both and I think he is underrated for that. Supposedly has a decent d game as well. He and chucky wouldn't be a soft duo for sure.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #519
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I know some people are no longer keen on Bennett, but even if that is how you feel, trading him to the Oilers is the absolute last thing you can do with him. He is SURE to be a 70 point guy on McDavid's wing, and I can't imagine how gut-wrenching it would be to watch that unfold. Then imagine what Oiler fans would be like.
No. he isn't. Sam Bennett has been given plenty of opportunity to play with very highly skilled players here in Calgary, and he's done jack. He's not going to to increase his production by 200% because he's playing with McDavid. If anything, McDavid sees a dip in his production from dragging Bennett around the ice. Saw what you want about some of the shlubs that have played with McDavid, those shlubs have at least shown a capacity to finish easy scoring chances. Sam Bennett plays hard but has shown an ability to make the easy scoring opportunity seem hard. I would not be concerned about Sam Bennett breaking out if he's traded. The last breakout Sam Bennett experienced was shortly after reaching puberty. If we can improve an important position by trading Sam Bennett, we make that deal every day.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #520
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
No. he isn't. Sam Bennett has been given plenty of opportunity to play with very highly skilled players here in Calgary, and he's done jack. He's not going to to increase his production by 200% because he's playing with McDavid. If anything, McDavid sees a dip in his production from dragging Bennett around the ice. Saw what you want about some of the shlubs that have played with McDavid, those shlubs have at least shown a capacity to finish easy scoring chances. Sam Bennett plays hard but has shown an ability to make the easy scoring opportunity seem hard. I would not be concerned about Sam Bennett breaking out if he's traded. The last breakout Sam Bennett experienced was shortly after reaching puberty. If we can improve an important position by trading Sam Bennett, we make that deal every day.
Man, the way some fans latch on to a specific player from their favourite team for scapegoating is something else. I just don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: