Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #121
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
First of all, you're talking about a back up role. You don't judge backup QBs on the same metrics as a starter. Other factors come into play in that equation especially because you have 20X more options to fill the position.
  • Advantages to signing Osweiler over Kaepernick

Salary: Osweiler makes $16M no matter what this year and the Browns are paying whatever any team that signs him doesn't. He's going to sign on the cheap if he signs. For all we know, Kaepernick's camp is trying to get him signed for $10M per.

Leadership/dedication: Osweiler has been universally praised as a teammate. Teams have legitimate reason to question whether football is Colin Kaepernick's first priority. He knowingly put his cause ahead of his team. That action and the possibility of similar actions in the future have more to say about why he's not signed than anything else. You don't have to disagree with his motivation to do what he did to question his dedication to team. This is huge.

Scheme: Anyone who used a pro-style drop back passing attack simply can't sign Kaepernick. He's incapable of running such an offense. Osweiler isn't the best fit in this type of offense either, but he has at least demonstrated an ability to run it.

Not saying that Osweiler is better than Kaepernick. What I'm saying is that he is signed before Kaepernick it is most certainly not irrefutable proof of Kaerpenick being black listed.
There's no doubt he's been black listed but it's for the same reasons RG3 has been black listed. There's only a small handful of teams that run an offense that fits Kaepernick's skills in Seattle and Carolina. He's not going to fit in offenses predicated around dropping back, making quick reads and getting rid of the ball with timing. That's simply something he's not able to do which is why teams really aren't that interested in him. Really he's more suited to the CFL than NFL where he can move around and make plays with his legs.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-02-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #122
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patriots trade Brissett for WR Phillip Dorsett;

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...hillip-dorsett

Didn't see this one coming as Brissett was really good in the preseason. Seems like the Pats could have got more for him but I suppose Dorsett has the speed and fits the mold of small and speedy receivers they like to feature.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #123
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

When has Osweiler demonstrated an ability to competently run a pro-style offense at the NFL level? He sucks.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #124
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
when has osweiler demonstrated an ability to competently run a pro-style offense at the nfl level? He sucks.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:56 PM   #125
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Denver will sign Osweiler. Wait for it.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #126
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
When has Osweiler demonstrated an ability to competently run a pro-style offense at the NFL level? He sucks.
He did contribute in their last Super Bowl winning season. He does suck though.

Quote:
Denver will sign Osweiler. Wait for it.
Apparently it is done. So in a matter of just over a year they went from offering him $16 million/season to paying him league min today. Signing makes some sense as there's familiarity and Lynch is injured. If he plays for them it's probably a bad sign as it means Siemian isn't up to the task.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-02-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:17 PM   #127
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

If osweiler plays for Denver at all that means they're picking top 15. Siemien is the only NFL calibre quarterback on the roster.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:55 PM   #128
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
If osweiler plays for Denver at all that means they're picking top 15. Siemien is the only NFL calibre quarterback on the roster.
What will be interesting is when Lynch is healthy does he come back as the #2 or the #3
Old 09-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #129
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What will be interesting is when Lynch is healthy does he come back as the #2 or the #3
Or will he be #1
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #130
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
And he is hardly that. Tough on see Denver sniffing above a 6-10 season if Semien is their year long starter
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #131
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You mean when he was replaced at QB by the noodliest noodle arm that ever noodled? A guy who literally was throwing ducks and had to put everything he had into making 10 yard throws? But yeah every QB can look half decent when there's almost no game film on him, it's why Kaepernick for a half sec looked like the future of the QB position (thanks mostly to the Packers D). Once people figured it out, he never really improved much.

And when we're talking backup, you shouldn't care about "fit" and "the scheme", the Seahawks just let Travon Boykin go even though he's much more like Russell Wilson than the guy they kept. But Austin Davis can make the throws and play the position better than Boykin, same as Kaepernick is better than Osweiler by a comfortable margin. I get you're biased towards Brock, but he's a mediocre to poor backup in the league. As a backup Kaep is much better.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #132
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even with a defense that good it's going to be tough for them

Especially since Oakland and KC are projected to be likely playoff teams

Also a lot of people think SD could surprise and win 8+

I don't get why Denver wasn't a Kaepernick team, I've said before I don't think he's great and I understand teams not wanting him as a backup due to fit or bad teams not wanting him to start.

But a team like Denver could have changed some of the scheme around him when they knew a month ago Lynch hasn't made an offenseason leap, he's not a pure pocket guy but you can run an NFL offense with him as long as you add a lot of PA passes and move the qb designed plays like Harbaugh did
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #133
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
You mean when he was replaced at QB by the noodliest noodle arm that ever noodled? A guy who literally was throwing ducks and had to put everything he had into making 10 yard throws? But yeah every QB can look half decent when there's almost no game film on him, it's why Kaepernick for a half sec looked like the future of the QB position (thanks mostly to the Packers D). Once people figured it out, he never really improved much.

And when we're talking backup, you shouldn't care about "fit" and "the scheme", the Seahawks just let Travon Boykin go even though he's much more like Russell Wilson than the guy they kept. But Austin Davis can make the throws and play the position better than Boykin, same as Kaepernick is better than Osweiler by a comfortable margin. I get you're biased towards Brock, but he's a mediocre to poor backup in the league. As a backup Kaep is much better.
Boykin has legal issues. Surprised he wasn't cut earlier.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #134
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post

You realize you are talking to someone who watches every minute of Broncos football don't you? I know exactly what Osweiler did in 2015.

We shall see what happens, but $775K for a backup QB that you know and that knows you is a no brainer.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #135
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

My overriding point is correct, RGIII was on his way to the HOF after the first year, then teams got film on him, and now he's on his way to Regina if he wants to have a pro football career. Once teams got meaning game film on Osweiler, they figured out he can't read defenses, can't make throws that aren't checkdowns, and can pretty much barely make those throws as last year proved. The Texans last year would have been at worst the #3 favorite to win the Super Bowl if they got league average QB play. Instead they got bad backup QB play. We will see what happens, but if Brock is playing meaningful games for the Broncos odds are they're in the Sam Darnold/Josh Allen sweepstakes.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:35 PM   #136
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

After this weekend, there may not be an Allen/Darnold sweepstakes! 😁

Your overriding point was that if Osweiler signed before Kaepernick it is proof the latter has been blacklisted wasn't it?
Old 09-03-2017, 02:19 PM   #137
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which it is. Kaepernick is flawed, but his ceiling as a QB is higher than anyone on the Broncos current roster. Now that has more to do with the Broncos not really having a legit NFL starting QB on the roster, but it holds true nonetheless. For a team that has an elite defense and should be in win now mode, they should remind themselves Kaepernick went to two straight NFC title games and a Super Bowl with an elite defense.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #138
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guarantee you if an NFL organization believed Kaepernick , as is, could lead them to a Super Bowl he'd be signed right now. Winning cures all ills.

Let's not forget, Elway had him in for a visit over the summer and passed.

Should be an interesting year in Denver. With an improved OL and healthy Siemian I am not resigned to it being a losing season just yet.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #139
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy, no one cares about a QB who doesnt have a job vs who just cut by the frickin Browns.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #140
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

SI predictions:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/05/nf...l-picks-awards

ESPN:
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...-rankings-2017

CBS:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...pions-crowned/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=Twitter_atn

Last edited by troutman; 09-05-2017 at 11:18 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote