Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #1021
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Someone is in denial, yes.

Anyway in great news the immortal Teddy B has been cleared to practice and will return to lead the Vikings to the division title.
I feel bad for Teddy. I don't think his option was picked up so he will be a free agent at the end of the season. Could be a good under the radar pickup in the offseason.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #1022
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Tebow was 9-7 as a starter. He's not a great thrower of the ball but he could go in and move the chains. He would have stuck around longer as a backup if he didn't carry around the media circus. You are telling me that RG3 isn't as good or better than a lot of backups? He doesn't have to be durable to back up a starter. He never got a sniff this offseason like Kaepernik. I think you are kind of in denial here about the abilities of Kaepernik. He's really not that good.
That is some crazy ass revisionist history and cherry-picking. Tebow lost his last 3 starts and didn't complete more than 50% of his passes in those games. That was in 2012. He then bounced around the league for two more training camps and was cut both times. The guy was given pretty much every chance he possibly could have been given to make the NFL. The fact that you're even trying to compare Kap to Tebow in terms of skill-level and abilities tells me you're grasping at straws.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #1023
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I like the Kapernick is standing up against the league. He's always been alone. When he knelt back then, nobody knelt with him. Now they are all doing it, not for him though.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #1024
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
How do you even prove Collusion? He can say that the league blackballed him, but in any case the NFL could have every player personal guy come forward and say they didn't want him because they didn't think he could execute their offense, and the person judging it is going to pretty much have to accept it.

They can also say that he opted out for free agency and this was the negatives of that risk.

There are only what about 90 QB jobs in the NFL?
tough to say there is collusion when Denver was interested in him and wanted to add him to the team but he would have had to take a pay cut, like many player have had to do, but he didn't want to prove himself. Even just watching him on the sidelines when Gabbert was playing, the guy sat there with his mopey face looking as disinterested as can be. I wouldn't want him either.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #1025
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
tough to say there is collusion when Denver was interested in him and wanted to add him to the team but he would have had to take a pay cut, like many player have had to do, but he didn't want to prove himself. Even just watching him on the sidelines when Gabbert was playing, the guy sat there with his mopey face looking as disinterested as can be. I wouldn't want him either.
IIRC Denver’s interest in him predated any protest and he didn’t want to take a pretty massive pay cut. The narrative that he “didn’t want to prove himself” is a fan fabricated one.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #1026
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weren't the Ravens interested in him this past off season, but backed out last minute because of what his GF tweeted or something?

Can't say there's collusion against him when there has been teams inquiring him. The baggage he carries around though from a PR and business standpoint, it's a heavy weight to burden for a player who may or may not be an effective starter.

I admire what he's doing. As Girly mentioned, now they're doing what he started, although they did it for different reasons. It is unfair that he's getting so much grief over this, and has made it difficult for him to have a football career. It's another reminder of how volatile the political landscape is in that country. He wasn't even kneeling in protest of the troops (because they are at the top of the hierarchy there), but those opposing it turned the rhetoric in that direction to make him look bad.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #1027
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have proof this took place? This kind of speculation drives me nuts.
Call it speculation if you like, but the circumstantial evidence speaks volumes. And I suspect a US court somewhere is going to agree with that. The NFL grievance process is just a small step along the process here.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #1028
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have proof this took place? This kind of speculation drives me nuts.
Whatever. We all speculate on this forum. You need me to find and highlight a post of yours where you have done 'this kind of speculation'?
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #1029
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tebow was such a crappy QB the Steelers literally did something unprecedented in NFL since basically the advent of the forward pass: they played nine guys in the box. In a playoff game. Now they ultimately got torched in the end, but they had so little respect for his arm they played with safeties playing at the linebacker level. Kaepernick never was shown that little respect.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #1030
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

ResALien, you are likely correct, my timeframe was off with regards to Denver's interest. He still seems like a mopey guy on the bench who more than likely isn't all the committed to football. I believe there were reports last year that he was the first guy gone after practice and didn't really apply himself.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #1031
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was he even starting when he begun taking the knee? I seem to recall he wasn't the #1 QB on the depth chart. If I remember correctly, some of the theories about Kaepernick taking a knee was an attention seeking maneuver, since he wasn't starting.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #1032
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I think a lot of teams are reluctant to sign Kaepernick because I don't think he's done enough to dispel the rumors that he's just not that committed to Football. Ever since he took the starting gig in San Francisco he stagnated....why is that? Sure the coaching and talent around him evaporated, but does he put in the same time in the film room that others do? I don't personally know...but a lot of NFL insiders have said they think he's more concerned with his brand and his sneaker collection than he is with being a better football player.

The truly great QB's like Brady and Peyton Manning put in a lot of work in the film room. They live football. Same with Brees and Rogers. Russel Wilson who came in when Kaepernick did also puts in a lot of work towards improving himself. Even mediocre guys, or players that fans think suck like Alex Smith and Andy Dalton, still are very committed.

I think this sort of thing is critically important to NFL coaches when they are selecting people who will lead their team. Jamarcus Russel had huge talent...poor leadership and commitment to football. Michael Vick earned a second chance in the NFL at one point in his life against a lot of backlash.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #1033
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was he even starting when he begun taking the knee? I seem to recall he wasn't the #1 QB on the depth chart. If I remember correctly, some of the theories about Kaepernick taking a knee was an attention seeking maneuver, since he wasn't starting.
He was backing up Gabbert when he started kneeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Call it speculation if you like, but the circumstantial evidence speaks volumes. And I suspect a US court somewhere is going to agree with that. The NFL grievance process is just a small step along the process here.
Not a chance. He's got virtually no chance unless they have some incriminating evidence that all 32 teams were involved.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #1034
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I think a lot of teams are reluctant to sign Kaepernick because I don't think he's done enough to dispel the rumors that he's just not that committed to Football. Ever since he took the starting gig in San Francisco he stagnated....why is that? Sure the coaching and talent around him evaporated, but does he put in the same time in the film room that others do? I don't personally know...but a lot of NFL insiders have said they think he's more concerned with his brand and his sneaker collection than he is with being a better football player.

The truly great QB's like Brady and Peyton Manning put in a lot of work in the film room. They live football. Same with Brees and Rogers. Russel Wilson who came in when Kaepernick did also puts in a lot of work towards improving himself. Even mediocre guys, or players that fans think suck like Alex Smith and Andy Dalton, still are very committed.

I think this sort of thing is critically important to NFL coaches when they are selecting people who will lead their team. Jamarcus Russel had huge talent...poor leadership and commitment to football. Michael Vick earned a second chance in the NFL at one point in his life against a lot of backlash.
Except that by all accounts from his coaches and teammates, he was consummate professional. I think fans tend to get overly caught up on what these guys do outside of the game. So he had a sneaker collection, who cares?
Old 10-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #1035
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Weren't the Ravens interested in him this past off season, but backed out last minute because of what his GF tweeted or something?

Can't say there's collusion against him when there has been teams inquiring him. The baggage he carries around though from a PR and business standpoint, it's a heavy weight to burden for a player who may or may not be an effective starter.
This is it in a nutshell.

When he hit FA, he was wanting 10 million per to join a team. Thing is there are limited teams where his particular skill set would fit in with the existing schemes they are running. So no one was going to give him starter money to sit on the bench when it was possible he would be ineffective even as a backup if he was thrown into action.

Then he lowered his demands on salary. By that time, most teams had filled out their TC rosters with guys they wanted to look at, already knowing what CK provided as a fit for them.

Then he was about to get an offer from the Ravens after Flacco was banged up in camp, and his GF sends out a tweet calling the teams owner a racist and comparing him to Decaprios charachter in Django. Harbaugh and Newsome were still interested but Bisciotti was hesitant, though it was claimed by Newsome that there was never any words said like "no dont sign him".

Now we are here. Chances were good he would have gotten a tryout at some point, but injuries were always going to be the kickstarter to that. Now? He has killed any chance of that happening until the grievance has been heard and ruled upon.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #1036
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a quote from LeSean McCoy. A player that knows how locker rooms operate and what it takes to field a winning team in the NFL. This is the main reason he's not employed;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d5f22d31d105

Quote:
“It’s a lot more than just he’s not on the team because he doesn’t want to stand for the national anthem,” McCoy said (via WKBW). “That may have something to do with it, but I think also it has a lot to do with his play. I’m sure a lot of teams wouldn’t want him as their starting quarterback. That chaos that comes along with it, it’s a lot.
“As a team, trying to win and not have a distraction on the team, I just take that as a player — there’s certain players that could be on the team with big distractions, and there’s other players that they’re not good enough or it’s not worth it. I think his situation is not good enough to have him on the team with all the attention that comes along with it. I’m sure if a guy like [Tom] Brady or a guy like, whoever is your favorite player — Odell Beckham or a guy like that — you’ll deal with that attention and play him.”
Old 10-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #1037
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know what happened with the last collusion case the PA filed against the NFL? Last I saw it was sitting in appeals court in 2014 but haven't seen anything else that's up to date.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #1038
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is a quote from LeSean McCoy. A player that knows how locker rooms operate and what it takes to field a winning team in the NFL. This is the main reason he's not employed;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d5f22d31d105
You know LeSean McCoy basically talks #### about everyone, right? That's kind of his thing.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #1039
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
You know LeSean McCoy basically talks #### about everyone, right? That's kind of his thing.
Okay how about Joe Montana;

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...s-why-he-is-fa

Look I understand why you are a Kaepernick supporter but you realize this is a man that admires Castro right? He's more of a cop hater (pig socks for example) than activist. There are so much better athletes to put your support behind.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #1040
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, totally just a cop hater.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/08/coli...er-communities
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: