Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #81
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
I don't get the Hart signing. I really don't.
He's proven to let you down, again and again....
I'm nervous about him in goal. I won't lie.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #82
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha. A tad touchy?

Yes. When compared to Spurs but that is no big claim. Not just United. Look down Seven Sisters at your neighbours.

As has been mentioned you lot celebrate finishing second. That speaks volumes in itself. Wenger qualified for the CL x many years in a row and yet the fans aren't happy. Spurs finished 2nd two years in a row, embarrassed themselves in Europe and Poch is the great saviour?

It's a legitimate observation to note that they have a distinct lack of ambition.

You lot are just salty that one of your players has said pretty much the same thing that we have been. Basically, if he wants to win he needs to look elsewhere. They are/were at a unique position in being a few players away from the title and Levy did nothing.

Rose isn't saying anything new. He simply wants to win. You're deluded if you think he's alone in Spurs lack of ambition. From the end of last season.

https://mobile.twitter.com/5liveSpor...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Arsenal have a net spend of over £200M over the last five years compared to Spurs' £1M. I would also imagine their revenues were much higher prior to the new TV deal, so what point are you trying to make exactly? Spurs do not have the resources to compete with the big-spending clubs, so how on Earth is it reasonable to expect them to have similar results to those clubs? The fact of the matter is that they're punching well above their weight.

I don't blame Rose for wanting to move to a club that has those resources, but to say it's a lack of ambition on the part of Spurs is silly.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #83
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Many faces of Jurgen Klopp:

http://www.espnfc.us/english-premier...ith-many-faces

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #84
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the net spend trophy gets paraded again. You can keep it. No one cares about it.

Rose himself says:
Quote:
"Time is running out and I do want to win trophies. I don't want to play football for 15 years and not have one trophy or one medal.
which simply speaks for itself.

Here is a player at a club that are supposed challengers for a title with a team as strong as they've had in living memory concerned they are going to win nothing. Because they refuse to strengthen, due to lack of ambition.

A club as close to it as they'll ever be and staying put whilst all around strengthen. I've a strong feeling you lot will look back on this time and wish you'd gone for it. Showed....ambition.

Rose expresses a desire to win trophies. That he wants to move elsewhere to do it strongly suggest he feels Spurs don't match his desire to win, his ambition. So nothing silly to suggest he wants to move due to lack of TH ambition at all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...age-structure/

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #85
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And the net spend trophy gets paraded again. You can keep it. No one cares about it.
Way to deflect as usual. The net spend is low because it has to be low, because the club doesn't have an endless cash flow. What part of that is so difficult for you to comprehend? This is about as basic as math can possibly be. What should they do to "show ambition," spend themselves into a hole they can't climb out of and severely hamper the club's future?
Old 08-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #86
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL! I'm deflecting.

One of your players talks about the clubs lack of ambition and your response is but .. but ... we've got a net spend trophy.

As the article says. West Ham and Palace are paying better wages.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #87
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL! I'm deflecting.

One of your players talks about the clubs lack of ambition and your response is but .. but ... we've got a net spend trophy.
If that's what you got out of my post, it says more about your reading comprehension skills than it does my argument.

Quote:
As the article says. West Ham and Palace are paying better wages.
That's actually not what the article says at all.

Quote:
Making the matter even more difficult for Tottenham is the fact that West Ham United and Crystal Palace are paying their best players over £100,000-a-week.
That's pretty damn vague. How many of their players are we considering "their best," because right from that same article:

Quote:
Toby Alderweireld remains in talks over a contract extension, but the Belgian has been reluctant to sign a new deal under £100,000-a-week which is roughly what top earners Harry Kane and Hugo Lloris pocket.
Would Kane and Lloris not be considered two of Spurs' best players? If we're rating Spurs' starting XI, Rose probably slots in anywhere from 5th - 8th depending on your mileage.

So I'll ask again, what would you have them do to show their ambition when they don't have the deep pockets that some of their rivals do? Do you honestly think Levy is sitting on a pile of extra cash because he's just not interested in winning?
Old 08-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #88
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course Spurs have no ambition, that's why they're building the new stadium.

And West Ham is paying someone 100k a week?! I mean sure, you guys do that for Lindgard, but there is no one there who should be earning that kind of money. That's sheer overpayment because they have no choice I suppose, because they're basically relegation fodder.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #89
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
So I'll ask again, what would you have them do to show their ambition when they don't have the deep pockets that some of their rivals do? Do you honestly think Levy is sitting on a pile of extra cash because he's just not interested in winning?
What part of showing ambition don't you get?
What would one have them do? What Rose suggests they should do.
Show ambition, realize that this is probably their best chance in decades of winning something of note. Sign a couple or three world class players and go for it.
Alternatively, do nothing, play safe and talk about how awesome your net spend is and leave the supporters looking back at that time they had a decent team but were scared to go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Of course Spurs have no ambition, that's why they're building the new stadium. Danny Rose was applauded by his team mates for speaking out on that very matter.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...ew-team-mates/

Old 08-11-2017, 07:38 AM   #90
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coutinho hands in transfer request

Old 08-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #91
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barca are desperate, Liverpool should sell now if they can coax £100 million out of them. Can fill out the squad nicely even if losing Coutinho is still a big loss.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #92
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Neymar deal messed up the whole market. Now Barca have turned around and shafted both Dortmund (Dembele is on strike) and Liverpool (Coutinho), next week those clubs will have the funds and do it to other clubs.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #93
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Happy Christmas morning, y'all

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #94
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What part of showing ambition don't you get?
What would one have them do? What Rose suggests they should do.
Show ambition, realize that this is probably their best chance in decades of winning something of note. Sign a couple or three world class players and go for it.
Alternatively, do nothing, play safe and talk about how awesome your net spend is and leave the supporters looking back at that time they had a decent team but were scared to go for it.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...ew-team-mates/

Typical "throw money at it" response though. It's so easy to say that they should just sign world class players. That's the only way to show ambition is spend $200-$250m in the summer? I mean it worked so well for both Manchester teams last year...
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #95
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

there's a middle ground between spending nothing and going crazy.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #96
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sun is being quoted as a source on spurs 'lack of ambition', not the interview which rose already apologized for but the stories following it up. The sun lol

They spend a night percentage of wages based on revenue than both Manchester clubs, it's the entire reason the new stadium is being built to raise that revenue and allow higher spending
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #97
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coutinho thing is going to be interesting, they already turned down an overpayment. But if player wants to go.... Wonder if he goes on strike like Dembele
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #98
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

no, Rose is the source lol.

I loved the "buy good players, not ones I have to google" part.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #99
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

If Lanzini leaves West Ham, I will be devastated. Hands off, Liverpool!
Old 08-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #100
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since it starts today predicting

City
Spurs
Chelsea
Liverpool
United
Arsenal

Swansea