Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-22-2017, 10:34 PM   #61
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats to Bo for TD pass #100 and for old man Kevin Glenn for breaking the 50k yard mark.

Not sure how the Wall INT was overturned (CFL wanted to keep the game close?!?) but I'm glad Finch had the big return to basically put them where they should have been.

PS why does crappy Bakari Grant have "Grant Sr." on this jersey? Get over yourself buddy...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #62
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
Hughes was schooling Derek Dennis today. I bet Dennis wishes he is still playing for the Stampeders still. Stamps defense are just playing awesome tonight. RB Jerome Messam is just dominating the line right now. I can see him breaking through later in the 2nd half the way he's playing right now. I just hope they don't change their game plan in the half.

I never Duron Carter when he was playing for Alouettes because I thought he was a selfish and just too high on himself. I hated this guy even more now that he is playing for the Riders.

Spying in the CFL??? We never many closed practice in the CFL before until Chris Jones became a head coach. This wanna-be-Belichek is ruining the CFL. He accuses the other team in spying but in truth, he's probably the guilty one. I can't wait for this bozo to get fired by Riders soon and hopefully not see him back in the CFL.
Nay, I hope Chris Jones stays as the HC/GM/VP of the Riders for the duration of that 4 year contract.

Riderville, as though they weren't hated enough, signed super ###### Chris Jones to become the most hated club in CFL history. You couldnt have a more perfect marriage

To see this guy, in all his arrogance and classless antics, lose so many games and continue to trend the losing streak, is such a beautiful sight. Also witnessing the constant dismay and tears from Rider fans is just a satisfying thing to see.

Signing Carter, is just another cherry on top

We're seeing the League's version of the Legion of Doom, with a collection of villians and jerks to form the undisputed most hated team/fanbase in the CFL. Enjoy it while it last, guys
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:03 PM   #63
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
PS why does crappy Bakari Grant have "Grant Sr." on this jersey? Get over yourself buddy...
There are two crappy receivers named Grant on the Riders - Antwane Grant wears #85.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:31 PM   #64
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Congrats to Bo for TD pass #100 and for old man Kevin Glenn for breaking the 50k yard mark.

Not sure how the Wall INT was overturned (CFL wanted to keep the game close?!?) but I'm glad Finch had the big return to basically put them where they should have been.

That ball was trapped...it was the right call.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:46 AM   #65
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Of course it was the right call. That one replay angle showed it clearly. Once the fans saw that angle they stopped booing.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #66
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It looked legit from the couple of replays I saw but if there was conclusive evidence to the contrary I'll stand corrected.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #67
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I dont have a replay to show you but it was the right call. The angle from behind Wall clearly showed the ball hit the turf.

Oh and suck it Jones!
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #68
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
There are two crappy receivers named Grant on the Riders - Antwane Grant wears #85.
Weird. Most teams go by first initial. This isn't the XFL:

Quote:
"I go by B.G. — most people call me B.G. — and that kind of separates us,” offers Bakari, a native of Oakland, Calif.. “I had a D-lineman (Uriah Grant) last year (at Stampeders) in camp who was a Grant, too. The whole thing with the Grants, maybe I could get Grant Sr. on my jersey,” he laughed.
https://www.google.ca/amp/thestarpho...or-granted/amp
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 09:28 AM   #69
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
It looked legit from the couple of replays I saw but if there was conclusive evidence to the contrary I'll stand corrected.
I know they showed the one angle where it looked clean but there was another angle that left zero doubt the ball was on the ground.

From what Rod Black and Duane Ford said on the broadcast they never showed the conclusive angle in the stadium.

It's all good though, the smelly rotten green melonheads were sent packing with their talis between their collective legs.......yet again.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:42 AM   #70
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You must not have seen the one angle. It clearly showed the ball on the turf. It was trapped.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #71
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
I know they showed the one angle where it looked clean but there was another angle that left zero doubt the ball was on the ground.

From what Rod Black and Duane Ford said on the broadcast they never showed the conclusive angle in the stadium.

It's all good though, the smelly rotten green melonheads were sent packing with their talis between their collective legs.......yet again.
Yeah, in the stadium they showed 2 replays that made it look like a catch, and the fans reacted...but then showed a clear angle where it hit the ground and everyone got quiet knowing it was the right call.

Also, I never want to hear anything about Rider fans invading the stadium, the crowd being 50/50, etc ever again. Some? Sure. But after a few crappy years they sure aren't out in droves anymore. Maybe 15-20%. But the bandwagon only seems to be full in the good times.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #72
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a big fan of CFL replay but last night was one of those nights it worked out well as the officials missed a lot of calls on the field. Riders would have been getting away with illegal contact and pass interference all night as it seems the officials weren't going to throw a flag even on that McDaniel play where the Rider was on top of him. That official actually had the perfect view of the play and instead of calling pass interference he calls it a complete pass and goes 0-2 on a play where he had a clear view. Just awful.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 12:17 AM   #73
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not a big fan of CFL replay but last night was one of those nights it worked out well as the officials missed a lot of calls on the field. Riders would have been getting away with illegal contact and pass interference all night as it seems the officials weren't going to throw a flag even on that McDaniel play where the Rider was on top of him. That official actually had the perfect view of the play and instead of calling pass interference he calls it a complete pass and goes 0-2 on a play where he had a clear view. Just awful.
Yes I agree. The McDaniel and even the Anthony Parker illegal contact, the referee was there watching the play but never threw a flag. Luckily Dickenson haven't lose his challenge rights; otherwise those two infraction wouldn't be called at all. Even the Hughes 4th sack were missed. Glenn clearly had his knee down before he threw the ball and ref was right there watching the play also. I know it is tough for the referees to see all the infractions but when they are watching the play and refused to throw a flag is not a good excuse.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #74
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was not looking forward going to a Rider game on a Saturday at 7 pm due to the able pre-drinking time they would be able to have, but they were really quite subdued around there. It was actually kind of weird.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #75
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It was great, first of all because the Horsemen had the annual Beers with Huff night which happens once a night where Huff buys our board members dinner and drinks before the game and does a Q+A session. (some of our board members are loyal Rider fans so they were allowed to come to)

So that was an amazing start to the evening. About 6 o'clock we all started meandering to the stadium, filled with Pizza and Beer.

I got there just in time to watch the warmup and see the showing match between Carter and Bell.

It was pretty clear right off of the start that the Riders

1) learned that its a long ways up from playing teams like Winnipeg, Hamilton and Montreal and playing Calgary. Their offensive line collapsed like a cheap tent.

2) If BLM had been a little sharper this wouldn't have been a 17 point lead at the half, it would have probably been a 32 point lead

3) Rider fans brag about all their fans filling McMahon, and I will grant that there were quit a few fans, but its not like it was more then about 10% of the fans in the stands. There were sprinklings of Green throughout the red. As well it was almost funny watching the Riders around me packing up their bags and leaving at the half, including one fan who stood up and loudly yelled "F this" in front of a family with young kids and stomped out of the stadium, and no he didn't say "F' he said the other thing.

4) The Stamps pretty much slept their way through the third quarter, they started running base set rush three or rush four soft zone, so the riders got garbage time early. However when the Stamps turned on the jets again they just put the game away.

5) I felt bad for Kevin Glenn, the guy got 0 help from his o-line. Dennis was awful, but I do contend that a lot of his success last year came due to coaching and the strength of the rest of the line. He has incredibly slow feet.

6) Chris Jones thinks he's Jerry Glanville, he's just not a good coach at all. He was successful when he had star heavy lineups that were ready to win and he could stand there in his all black look and his sun glasses and look productive, but he's horrible. He also believes in the whole intimidation thing. Carter going over the 50 during warmup, and then the Riders running through the cheerleaders at the start of the game, that's all Jones. But when your team is terrible, maybe drop the intimidation acts because you look stupid.

Thanks to Huff and Mike and the Stampeder's for putting on a great event for the Horsemen site.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #76
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It was great, first of all because the Horsemen had the annual Beers with Huff night which happens once a night where Huff buys our board members dinner and drinks before the game and does a Q+A session.
Whoa man, what sort of blackmail material do you guys have on Huff?!
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:31 PM   #77
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

damn . . . once a year.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #78
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It wasn't as much a blackmail story as a lost bet story.

Back before CFLHorsemen, the site was GoStampsgo.com, Ted Hellard was still the owner and president and took a bunch of us for drinks.

He was bragging about this Stamps draft pick named Henry Bekkering who was a dominant basketball player at the U of C back in 2008. the Stamps looked at his size, speed and athletic ability and wanted to make him a football player.

So Hellard was boasting that he would outlast all of the other draft picks in the 2008 draft and made a bet that if he was wrong he'd buy the board membership dinner and a drink, and we took him up on it.

Bekkering came to camp and decided that his heart wasn't in it and after 4 days of rookie camp retired so Ted was on the hook. He continued that tradition until about 2010 when he stepped down (he also came on our podcast after he resigned).

From there the incoming Presidents kept up the tradition of picking one game night and inviting the members of our board out for Pizza and Drinks and a Q+A. Lyle Bauer, Gordon Norrie and now Huff.

Its a great tradition and we love the fact that its unique for a fan website to get that kind of access.

Lyle Bauer was awesome by the way, one of our guests is a Rider fan and Lyle almost jumped over the table and put him in a head lock.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: