Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #461
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like it, but I don't like it. The refs are so bad that coaches legitimately can use more than 1 challenge a game, like that play where the Hamilton player was clearly down but the ref let it go. As a coach it's going to be tough deciding if a play like that warrants your only challenge.

The command center better be on their toes and ready to reverse clearly blown calls like that.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #462
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I like it, but I don't like it. The refs are so bad that coaches legitimately can use more than 1 challenge a game, like that play where the Hamilton player was clearly down but the ref let it go. As a coach it's going to be tough deciding if a play like that warrants your only challenge.

The command center better be on their toes and ready to reverse clearly blown calls like that.
Yeah, the quality of officiating is still a big issue in the CFL and needs to be addressed, but all these fishing expeditions (especially for illegal contact on receivers on the other side of the field to where the ball was being thrown) will be greatly reduced which is a good thing.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #463
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Ambrosie doesn't screw around does he? He said he was going to do something about all the challenges...and boom!

I both like and dislike this change however. I think its far more important to get the call right than anything....but when coaches were challenging ridiculous contact plays that had absolutely nothing to do with outcome of a particular play, it started to sour many on the whole reason behind them.

Lets see if there is an agregious error by officials later in a game and it can't be challenged.....if that has teams re-visiting the idea of one per game.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #464
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton probably should have done this in er, um June...

Hamilton Tiger-Cats ✔ @Ticats
BREAKING: VP of Football Ops & Head Coach Kent Austin has appointed @CoachJuneJones as the #Ticats Assistant Head Coach.

Details to come!
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #465
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Well hopefully the rule change will prevent challenging marginal PI or illegal contact plays. They need to save them for the close fumbles/catches/interceptions or goaline plays that are inconclusive.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #466
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Refs in the CFL make ~$600-$850/game.
NFL refs start at around $120,000 per year while linesmen start at around $75,000 per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Yeah, the quality of officiating is still a big issue in the CFL and needs to be addressed, but all these fishing expeditions (especially for illegal contact on receivers on the other side of the field to where the ball was being thrown) will be greatly reduced which is a good thing.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #467
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Refs in the CFL make ~$600-$850/game.
NFL refs start at around $120,000 per year while linesmen start at around $75,000 per year
There definitely is some merit in the old axiom "you get what you pay for" and I don't like to harp on the refs as I recognize it is a tough job. I like the step that the commish took today, but I hope he realizes that more needs to be done. Increased compensation and training for officials will hopefully be on the league's radar.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #468
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Very true. I like the move overall though, as at the end of the day this has to be entertaining for the fans. If you lose the fans, it's time to fold the league. I certainly get the frustration from the coach's perspective, as they're in a results-driven industry and are coaching for their jobs. I'm sure they'd happily take 12 time-outs per half if given the option, and an hour between picks in the Draft.

As a business you need to keep the product entertaining for the consumer, in that regard this was the right move. Agreed this puts added pressure on refs and the command centre to get it right.

Last edited by Sainters7; 08-02-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 04:33 PM   #469
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would rather the coaches have a challenge but if they win the challenge, they get one more. So two max. Eliminate being able to challenge for illegal contact completely. That is where the league is losing the fans. If I was coaching offence I would tell my third read receiver to run into his cover guy on every critical play to draw the call.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:14 AM   #470
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am glad the league is making changes on the challenge thing. At first I didn't mind it but in the past two season, it is getting ridiculous the amount challenges coaches have in the league. I particularly HATED the illegal contact away from the play. It seems that there are more challenges on that type of penalty, coaches fishing for some calls. Problem was most of those overturned calls didn't even affect the play. I am okay with the challenge on the pass interference but Toronto crew need to figure out what is the pass interference or not. When two players are fighting for the ball and the defensive made a little contact on the receiver, that shouldn't be a call. When the defense or receiver hold on the guy's hand while the ball is in the air, then yes it is a PI.
It is a fast game, big field and referees makes mistakes. CFL referees are not the only one that misses or makes a mistakes on a call. It happens in the NFL too. These guys are not robots. I know there are excemptions. I get mad when i see a referee watching the play and a blatant penalty happens then chose to ignore it. I don't really get upset when there is a missed call that is tough to see without the replay. So, yes i am on board with the new rules.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #471
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

the league got it right. the challenge is there to over turn egregious, game altering buffoonery by the refs. not to nit pick and litigate points or first downs. The whole "get another if your right" only begs for fishing expeditions. good job commish.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 09:00 AM   #472
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope those crappy guys at Sportsnet paid attention to the Stamps/Argos game at BMO last night. They had like what, 5,000 people in attendance, but the sound from the game sounded like they had 50,000 people there!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #473
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

There goes the Argo's season. Also, was only a matter of time behind that pathetic OL.

@TSNDaveNaylor:
Hearing from reliable source that Argos QB Ricky Ray has a separated AC joint (shoulder), expected to miss 4-6 weeks. #argos #CFLonTSN

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #474
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

See that's annoying non-call. Referee is watching the play and clearly the Ottawa player run over the Winnipeg receiver. How can that referee missed that call??He was right there and O'Shea didn't have to use his challenge. That was a bad refereeing by that guy.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:12 PM   #475
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
See that's annoying non-call. Referee is watching the play and clearly the Ottawa player run over the Winnipeg receiver. How can that referee missed that call??He was right there and O'Shea didn't have to use his challenge. That was a bad refereeing by that guy.
Agreed, how the ref doesn't throw a flag on that easy of a call is baffling.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #476
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

That long bomb to Ellingson was a good non-call. Yes there was a little bump there at the end but not warranting a penalty. Thumbs up to the referees on that one. I bet in the old challenge rules, Campbell would have throw that yellow flag.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #477
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little bit of a skirmish after that successful two-point conversion.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:45 PM   #478
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow Campbell with the stupidest coaching decision of the year. Up 4 they kick a field goal and have the wind and you choose to let them kick off? Medlock kicks it into the endzone and it's a 3 point game. That is some kind of stupid.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #479
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

lol Campbell is pretty much gift wrapping a tie for this bomber team
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #480
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cant ####ing believe the Stamps let this piece of crap garbage team beat them in the GC last year.

Ridiculous.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post: