Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #3721
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yawn. Another reason this isn't a Country but a collection of me first states.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #3722
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Trump has already basically indicated that while Keystone is back on the table that the terms of any deal have to be favorable to the US, so that might be a poisoned deal with the devil.

Just as the Alberta economy was showing some signs of coming around (Still a long ways to go), this will rip through the economy like a earth quake, I expect that over the next few weeks the layoffs thread is going to get very active again.

I would also expect that anyone that was looking at investing in the Alberta Energy sector is going to find a better use for their money else where.

There was some jacka%% on the news this morning from the Environmental Defense Fund bragging about this news today and alluding to their belief that Kinder Morgan is going to be tied up for years.

I don't blame TCPL for saying enough is enough.

I guess its ok for Quebec and Ontario to send money to Venezuela so they can bash the skulls in of their people, or Saudi Arabia so they can buy armored cars and weapons. But when it comes to this province, F us.

The Federal Government in Jim Carr blathered that its a business decision by TCPL and its not up to him to explain why they did it, but at the end of the day, the NEB changed the game in the middle of the process and basically poisoned Energy East.

Meanwhile that idiot in Montreal Coderre was already up and bragging about this. It must be nice to be in a province where everytime you sneeze someone from Ottawa shows up with a hanky and a check book.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #3723
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

This may put Keystone in jeopardy too. Not sure how we're supposed to make a convincing argument to the Americans to build Keystone in their backyard when we won't build a pipeline in ours. We may have just lost any leverage and put ourselves at a disadvantage in terms of a bargaining position. Even if it does go through the terms might have just swung more favorably in favor of the U.S.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #3724
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't blame TCPL for saying enough is enough.
On one hand I now see why TCPL stocks are dropping.

On the other hand I don’t think even a majority of their eggs were in that basket.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #3725
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well after Coderre came out and crowed about this, I'm only flying on airlines that buy boeing planes, and I won't be using any of my tourist or travel dollars on Quebec.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #3726
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Well after Coderre came out and crowed about this, I'm only flying on airlines that buy boeing planes, and I won't be using any of my tourist or travel dollars on Quebec.

Joke’s on you WestJet has to revenue share. Quebec always gets it in the end.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #3727
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
TransCanada terminates plan for $15.7 billion Energy East pipeline

http://business.financialpost.com/co...-east-pipeline
Many Loud Expletives.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #3728
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just find it ironic that the province of Quebec is celebrating this defeat just a few years after the Lac Megantic (sp?) train wreck.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #3729
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just another severe blow to the face from the federal Liberals, to add to the damage caused by the provincial NDP. We should not be at all surprised.

Where does one go? As a native Calgarian, every day I find myself with less and less in common with mainstream Canada. Move to the US? Ha.

And as angry as I am with the current federal government, how many pipelines were built during the Harper years?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #3730
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Just another severe blow to the face from the federal Liberals, to add to the damage caused by the provincial NDP. We should not be at all surprised.

Where does one go? As a native Calgarian, every day I find myself with less and less in common with mainstream Canada. Move to the US? Ha.

And as angry as I am with the current federal government, how many pipelines were built during the Harper years?
In terms of major pipelines/applications to the NEB, a few at least: Keystone Phase 1 (phase 2 and 3 are completely in the US), Line 9 reversal project and Alberta Clipper (phase 1 and phase 2) off the top of my head. In theory, by the time Trudeau is done he'll have at least the Line 3 expansion and Transmountain twinning under his belt.

The pipeline industry is still able to build a lot of small pipelines even today. It's the major applications to the NEB that go through these ugly, very public processes.

In my opinion, the provincial NDP has been the Alberta pipeline industry's biggest ally in the world of politics. So I feel like your ire is misplaced on this front. However, I have nothing good to say about the Federal Liberals considering they just took credit for approvals made during the Harper administration (Line 3 and TM), and then their "mandate" to reform the NEB has made them into this terrible mess of delays, out-of-scope requirements and just general stupidity.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #3731
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
In terms of major pipelines/applications to the NEB, a few at least: Keystone Phase 1 (phase 2 and 3 are completely in the US), Line 9 reversal project and Alberta Clipper (phase 1 and phase 2) off the top of my head. In theory, by the time Trudeau is done he'll have at least the Line 3 expansion and Transmountain twinning under his belt.

The pipeline industry is still able to build a lot of small pipelines even today. It's the major applications to the NEB that go through these ugly, very public processes.

In my opinion, the provincial NDP has been the Alberta pipeline industry's biggest ally in the world of politics. So I feel like your ire is misplaced on this front. However, I have nothing good to say about the Federal Liberals considering they just took credit for approvals made during the Harper administration (Line 3 and TM), and then their "mandate" to reform the NEB has made them into this terrible mess of delays, out-of-scope requirements and just general stupidity.
They should just build lots of short sections...Then blamo! connect them together. Instant cross Canada pipeline.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #3732
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I just find it ironic that the province of Quebec is celebrating this defeat just a few years after the Lac Megantic (sp?) train wreck.
I guess we didn't pay a big enough bribe to Coderre.

Its ok to be in Quebecs position, they have enough votes that if they sniffle the government can't run to them fast enough with a kleenex and a back rub.

I guess the whole concept of social license is one massive mis-calculation by the NDP, it got us absolutely nothing on a national level.

If Alberta wants leverage the only leverage they have is actually Oil. but Ontario and Quebec are willing to pay more to ship it in from scum nations. Oh and the taxes and regulations that are applied to you know Canadian Oil and Gas don't apply to imported Oil and Gas, how in the blue frack is that at all logical

Like I said before, hold onto your butts, this announcement is just going to add more to the don't invest in the energy sector in Canada wave.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #3733
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
They should just build lots of short sections...Then blamo! connect them together. Instant cross Canada pipeline.
Rusty pickup truck convoys and pack the Oil in glad garbage bags.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #3734
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I find it funny that Quebec was whining and crying about the whole Bombardier thing a few days ago and telling the government that not one part of plane should be bought by the government of Canada and all Canadians should support them in their righteous anger.

I've said it before, this isn't a country its a lose collection of aholes.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #3735
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

This country is happy to keep proping up an insolvent company like Bombardier multiple times, but can't seem to put an extended pipe in the ground. Is Quebec the Liberals favorite child? Wtf.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #3736
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
This country is happy to keep proping up an insolvent company like Bombardier multiple times, but can't seem to put an extended pipe in the ground. Is Quebec the Liberals favorite child? Wtf.
Of course it is, If you want to form the government you have to suck up to the spoiled brat province of Canada.

At this point, I hope Bombardier gets no relief from the Tariffs and gets ground into the dust by the American and European manufacturers.

Coderre basically gloating about what is surely going to be another mass loss of jobs and closing of companies here that were probably hanging on for this project has really soured me .

Old 10-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #3737
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Coderre thinks it's just fine and dandy to whole dump a bunch of sewage in the St. Laurence river but a pipeline is evil and dirty. All this after Lac Megantic. This stuff adds up and makes the rest of Canada really not like Quebec.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #3738
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have no issue with Quebec's position. BUT, if that is the position they are going to have their citizens should send back each and every dollar they have whored out of Alberta in equalization payments over the last 30 years.

You can't take the money and block economic progress at the same time.

Trudeau gave his "support" to the EE pipeline while at the same time his NEB was changing the regulatory conditions for the pipeline to be built.

To the younger posters and younger voters who foolishly voted for Trudeau, I hope this is a wake up call. This is the Liberal Party of Canada. They don't give a #### about Alberta.

We should be doing what we can to unseat Kent Hehr and Darshan Kang in the next election.

#### sakes.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #3739
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have no issue with Quebec's position. BUT, if that is the position they are going to have their citizens should send back each and every dollar they have whored out of Alberta in equalization payments over the last 30 years.

You can't take the money and block economic progress at the same time.

Trudeau gave his "support" to the EE pipeline while at the same time his NEB was changing the regulatory conditions for the pipeline to be built.

To the younger posters and younger voters who foolishly voted for Trudeau, I hope this is a wake up call. This is the Liberal Party of Canada. They don't give a #### about Alberta.

We should be doing what we can to unseat Kent Hehr and Darshan Kang in the next election.

#### sakes.
I really don't think the issue is who is in power. The truth is the CPC couldn't get pipelines built and now the LPC can't. It's more about how much power we give to special interest groups and municipalities ahead of our national interest.

In this case though, it's only partly the issues with regard to the NEB and their trials and tribulations. The oil price being down and reduced pipeline demand are also factors here. Those are things that politicians can't really control.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 06:07 PM   #3740
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Energy East doesn't make any sense with Keystone XL looking more likely than not to go ahead. The last thing we need is a bitumen discount due to pipeline overcapacity.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cal_guy For This Useful Post: