Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #521
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's terrible. Hopefully it doesn't spread and is somewhat limited as they allude to in the article and not the Montana situation they also mention.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2016, 04:24 PM   #522
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Whirling disease confirmed in the Bow River in Banff National Park

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-national-park
Scary stuff!! I read somewhere that when a river in Montana, can't recall which one, had an outbreak 15 years ago it killed 90% of their rainbows and took 10 plus years for the fishery to recover. On one of my floats last week I saw a small rainbow swimming in circles close to Jensen's (lower Bow). It could have been injured or from natural causes but it sure makes you think that that it is safe to assume lower Bow will be infected. We all should be extra vigilant in washing our gear and following all the guidelines to help prevent the spread to other waters.
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #523
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It was the Madison River that was affected in Montana
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cavalera403 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #524
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was, but there was also an interesting finding in that some trout were resistant to the bacteria. Some were expecting devastation to the population in the Missouri, but it didn't happen. It could be that the young trout are in unaffected waters or something, but they weren't really sure. I don't know the whole issue well, but I think younger trout are more at risk because they have more cartilage than older fish? Something along those lines.

Anyway, the Madison wasn't good, as you say, but the fish have come back. The resistance is a bit of a mystery, but a positive one!
Old 09-22-2016, 08:20 PM   #525
Alpine Fisher
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Alot of the Mountain hike in lakes I have been fishing in this year have really slowed down in the month of September.

Not a great fisher when it comes to fishing with Chrominids & Wet Flies and that seems to be the recipe for success as there aren't too many risers out there going for dries this time of year.

Troutman & Slava, what are some of your favorite Nymphs to use for Cutties?
Alpine Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #526
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I greatly prefer dries, so favorite and nymph don't quite go together! But I think that the most productive fly for cuts is probably a bead head prince. It can be lights out. Maybe a close second is the old faithful bead head gold ribbed hares ear. A couple weeks ago I caught quite a few on caddis flies though. I don't really keep good count anymore, but I would estimate like 15ish in a little over a half day and mostly trying to get my friends son hooked up.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:10 PM   #527
Alpine Fisher
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have a couple of those in the flybox.
I'll give it a go.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2016, 09:25 AM   #528
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Fisher View Post
Alot of the Mountain hike in lakes I have been fishing in this year have really slowed down in the month of September.

Not a great fisher when it comes to fishing with Chrominids & Wet Flies and that seems to be the recipe for success as there aren't too many risers out there going for dries this time of year.

Troutman & Slava, what are some of your favorite Nymphs to use for Cutties?
Anything with a bead head, and a bit of red in the body seems to work well for me. Something like this:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #529
Alpine Fisher
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks for the tip Troutman. I have a few nymphs of that color. Weather Permitting, I might try my luck one more time on a hike in lake.

Fished a very small Creek somewhere in SW Alberta and caught alot of Cutties.

Largest one I caught was 50 CM. Also saw a Bull Trout in the same pool that must have been pushing 10 pounds

Last edited by Alpine Fisher; 09-26-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: fixed picture url
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alpine Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #530
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Fisher View Post

Thanks for the tip Troutman. I have a few nymphs of that color. Weather Permitting, I might try my luck one more time on a hike in lake.

Fished a very small Creek somewhere in SW Alberta and caught alot of Cutties.

Largest one I caught was 50 CM. Also saw a Bull Trout in the same pool that must have been pushing 10 pounds
50cm is enormous for a Cutthroat. I was out this weekend also and caught one that was in that 18-20 inch range and it could well be the largest you're going to see. I mean yeah, someone caught one for the Alberta record that is almost 10lbs, but fishing the smaller streams and higher rivers a 20" Cutty is a beast!
Old 09-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #531
Alpine Fisher
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
50cm is enormous for a Cutthroat. I was out this weekend also and caught one that was in that 18-20 inch range and it could well be the largest you're going to see. I mean yeah, someone caught one for the Alberta record that is almost 10lbs, but fishing the smaller streams and higher rivers a 20" Cutty is a beast!
Indeed it is. My Phone's battery died so I couldn't take a pic and I didn't bother bringing my Tape Measure because this stream is strictly catch and release.

I basically compared the fish's length and girth to a Cuttie I caught in Lower Kananaskis this year that measured 50 CM on the dot.

It is nice to see good numbers of fish as well as fish with size coming out of the Foothills. Fisheries Management was wise to designate alot of them strictly catch and release. Also seeing a huge Conservation Officer presence this year which is great for enforcement and discouraging people to break the rules.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alpine Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #532
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Some fish pictures from the Bow and The Castle system. I hadn't fished down there (Castle area) before this season and am learning the area with every trip. I'm not sure why but the fishing seems just a bit trickier compared to say The Oldman/Livingstone area. Or I just haven't had a lights out day down there so that's what i'm telling myself. The Bow is The Bow & how lucky are we that it is on our doorstep!

Last edited by Angelamc; 09-27-2016 at 03:28 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 05:24 PM   #533
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelamc View Post
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2016, 06:15 PM   #534
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was throwing one of those SG 3D Trout lures today to get a feel for it. The action is sick. The third cast with it, an Osprey dove off the hillside and pulled up about 8 feet shy of the snagging the lure out of the lake.
Coolest thing I have ever seen. It happened so fast, if only to have a go-pro. I was fishing - didn't know I should be watching the skies too!
The Following User Says Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #535
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
I was throwing one of those SG 3D Trout lures today to get a feel for it. The action is sick. The third cast with it, an Osprey dove off the hillside and pulled up about 8 feet shy of the snagging the lure out of the lake.
Coolest thing I have ever seen. It happened so fast, if only to have a go-pro. I was fishing - didn't know I should be watching the skies too!
I love watching Osprey stalking at the river, they are total Ninja's.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #536
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even better is watching the Bald Eagles watching the Osprey and then going after them once they catch a fish.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:28 PM   #537
Alpine Fisher
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

they must have amazing vision, because I can't even see fish up from above they are so well camouflaged
Old 10-01-2016, 06:41 AM   #538
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If it can fool a bird of prey, I'm hoping it'll fool a Tiger Musky too.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #539
Alpine Fisher
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Has anyone ever seen the movie "The River Why"? Great Fishing Movie. Probably the best fishing related movie I have seen.
Any other suggestions out there for a good Fishing Based movie? (Besides "A River Runs Through It")
Old 10-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #540
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

My buddy bought a whole bunch of ice fishing gear last year but didn't go out very often. We might try to hit the lakes this year. I've never ice fished. In the winter, are the fish generally found around the same lake structures as they would be in the summer or do they move to different parts of the lakes? What is the best strategy?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bow river , fishing , fly fishing