Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #5361
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Eau Claire and Memorial seem to be the spots they target most. When they enforce it at all.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #5362
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

In more than a dozen years of riding, I've never seen them on the Nose Creek pathway. I think I saw them once near the zoo on the Bow river side of it, but that was probably a decade ago.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #5363
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

in my time of bike commuting in Calgary I have seen the bike cops on the pathway near eau Claire, one time near sandy beach (another relaly busy spot) and one day right near the bridge by the bow river and glenmore. there is a section of trail from beaver dam flats to that spot where bikes are not allowed. when I used to commute from downtown, I occasionally would not feel like climbing up to lynnview ridge, so I would cut along this nice flat gravel trail along the river. the boys gave me a warning.

I am surprised I have never seen them in fish creek park as I'd imagine there are conflicts on those paths on warm days
Old 07-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #5364
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

How fast were you going, and how much was the ticket? Does it count against your driver's license?
Old 07-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #5365
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
How fast were you going, and how much was the ticket? Does it count against your driver's license?
If you're referring to me, my post mentioned I didn't get a ticket. I'd guess I was in the 20-25 km/h range.

They don't go on your driver's license, as you don't need one to operate a bicycle, and this isn't on a road so it's not covered under the Alberta Traffic Safety Act. It's just a bylaw infraction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #5366
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
in my time of bike commuting in Calgary I have seen the bike cops on the pathway near eau Claire, one time near sandy beach (another relaly busy spot) and one day right near the bridge by the bow river and glenmore. there is a section of trail from beaver dam flats to that spot where bikes are not allowed. when I used to commute from downtown, I occasionally would not feel like climbing up to lynnview ridge, so I would cut along this nice flat gravel trail along the river. the boys gave me a warning.

I am surprised I have never seen them in fish creek park as I'd imagine there are conflicts on those paths on warm days

Fish Creek Park falls under Alberta Parks/Provincial Park rules and has no speed limit.
The Following User Says Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #5367
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've been yelled at by bylaw in the Eau Clair area for going to fast. My solution: speed up and blow by, this isnt GTA, bylaw is not going to chase you, that would be ridiculous.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #5368
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
Fish Creek Park falls under Alberta Parks/Provincial Park rules and has no speed limit.
I thought I'd seen 20km/h signs throughout Fish Creek but maybe it's just in the sections that are closer to homes, which isn't technically Fish Creek.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #5369
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do not run reds, especially on a bicycle.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #5370
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'm never I'm so much of a rush that I would blow through a red on a bike.
Way too much of a consequence.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #5371
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah that lady who got hit is also getting ticketed for running the red apparently. Will also likely hear from the cars insurance company if there was any damage to the car.

Last edited by Weitz; 07-18-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #5372
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The speed bylaw folks used to make regular appearances every summer (it seemed) along the south side of the Bow between 10 and 14 Streets NW too.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #5373
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post

Do not run reds, especially on a bicycle.
Seen similar in Calgary first hand. My friend was driving down 4th street on the underpass heading towards Stephen Ave with a cyclist to the right while we were in the middle lane, complaining about him and how he's cycling. Wouldn't you know it, as soon as he finished the rant and we reached Stephen Ave, the cyclist suddenly decided to make an illegal left turn from 3 lanes over right in front of his car while in motion on a green. My friend barely stopped in time and honked, but the car in the left lane had no chance to react to a bike making a left 3 lanes over with our car blocking the view. The cyclist slammed right into the passenger door.

The woman driving was in shock and we got out of the car to check if he was hurt, while the guy was trying to bail as fast as he can. We told the woman that we can be witnesses, but she insisted that insurance should cover it (she didn't take the cyclist info). She was in such shock that she thought she caused the accident, when in reality the guy should be paying for the extensive damage he caused for his idiocy.

I told my friend this is the reason why you need a dash cam. Had he not stopped in time and be without a witness, he would have hit the cyclist from the front and be blamed at fault. Dash cam, dash cam, dash cam.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #5374
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

In Invermere this week at copper point - killing me not having my bike anymore. Why did I drag my heels getting a new one????
Old 07-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #5375
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I pulled out the bike trailer to bring my daughter home from daycamp today, first time this year. I dusted it off in a hurry, hooked it up, and didn't realize I had the quick releases for the back basket open and I lost one of the nuts off one side during part of the ride. I saved the quick release and the nice folks at the bike garage near the Peace Bridge gave me a nut for it for free. Got my kid into the trailer and just about died pulling her home - and it's only 3K! It'll get easier, right?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #5376
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
It'll get easier, right?
Absolutely it will. When I first started riding, the hill up to Douglasdale ridge made me walk my bike. By end of summer I was going up with three kids in a chariot and a bike hung on the bars.

Gains - if you ride you will see them!
Old 07-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #5377
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yeah, I laugh a little at one of the "hills" that on my first ride I had to walk my bike up, and now I only slightly gear down for.

I'm still not in great shape, but still miles ahead of when I started.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 09:43 AM   #5378
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Very true - most days now I go looking for more hills on my way home. And I already have to climb up Edworthy, and all the way to the top of Coach Hill.
Its a great feeling when you can see how much improvement you've made.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #5379
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
It'll get easier, right?
Especially if you didn't notice the tires are a bit low on the trailer. My wife did that first ride out with the kid this year, saying she couldn't believe how out of shape she was and how hard it was, the tires were about 15psi
Old 07-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #5380
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Especially if you didn't notice the tires are a bit low on the trailer. My wife did that first ride out with the kid this year, saying she couldn't believe how out of shape she was and how hard it was, the tires were about 15psi
I rode with my kids in the chariot a couple of weeks ago and sucked wind the whole time. Then I realized I was dragging probably 90 lbs behind me. My kids are too damn big.