Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #3561
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

To the clown playing Pokemon Go with headphones on and RUNNING perpendicular into the bike lane without looking near 29th st nw last night, pretty sure I would have destroyed you if I had hit you.

And to everyone playing this game and walking 3 or 4 wide across on the pathway you can all piss off as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyO For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 11:04 AM   #3562
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
To the clown playing Pokemon Go with headphones on and RUNNING perpendicular into the bike lane without looking near 29th st nw last night, pretty sure I would have destroyed you if I had hit you.

And to everyone playing this game and walking 3 or 4 wide across on the pathway you can all piss off as well.
I'm now riding mostly on the road now. It's safer!
Old 07-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #3563
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't seen any on the Nose Creek pathway so far
Old 07-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #3564
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Haven't seen any on the Nose Creek pathway so far
No Pokestops on it, yet.....
Old 07-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #3565
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post

you have high expectations of people that are likely outside in the real world on their own for the first time in years

looks like I am going to have a great strava time on the way home this afternoon as the wind appears to be blowing in the correct direction
Old 07-20-2016, 02:51 PM   #3566
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, Pokemon Go players on pathways - better or worse than rollerbladers with headphones?
Old 07-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #3567
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worse. At least roller bladers are generally moving at a more or less constant speed and in the same general direction as bike traffic.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #3568
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try to change your routes to avoid areas that are hot spots for Pokemon Go, Prince's island and Eau Claire area is pretty much packed with players, and with Folk Fest starting today it is only going to get worse.

Quote:
you have high expectations of people that are likely outside in the real world on their own for the first time in years
Such an easy thing to say, but on Prince's island yesterday evening there was every single mix of person out there. Kids, teens, twenty somethings, adults, even seniors. They are on feet, boards, and bikes. Heck even some guys rolled up with speakers and their laptop and started cranking out tunes. It is very interesting seeing what this craze is doing to our public spaces, yes a lot of time people have their heads down in the game but they are also talking to strangers, hanging out in groups having fun, and walking around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #3569
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't speak for Pokemon Go but if they make a Zelda Go I'm going full nerd and i'm 54 years old lol.

You have my permission to run me down if I trance walk into your way.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #3570
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great - will every thread on CP eventually be invaded by Pokemon Go?
: )
Old 07-23-2016, 10:42 PM   #3571
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Thanks for asking!

The conditions were pure insanity! They're saying worst conditions of this event in history (20 years). 2008 was the previous worse apparently. Many described half the terrain as 4-6 inches of blended peanut butter...lol...especially over night for my first ever night ride!! Slightly better conditions in the morning.

I have to say probably the most physically draining thing I've ever done. I think I got 5 minutes of sleep total, which didn't help. Pretty mentally draining as well with the weather and conditions, but our team was stoked that we persevered.

We actually did not do it for the results (just for the challenge, something to accomplish together), but we got home and pleasantly surprised we finished in 6th place in our category (4-person team). We were tied for same # of laps as 4th & 5th place, but last lap clocked in later. We could have had 1 more lap, but after each of us did night lap, we paused because of treacherous conditions and waited 2 hrs til 6AM for next guy to go out again.

[think our Captain is signing up for another 24 hour event today for us...haha]

I haven't posted many picks yet (more to come), but a couple on Instagram if anyone interested:
https://www.instagram.com/kryzralf/

thats insane. I did it in 2008 and our best rider came in at 2:30 AM and called it. Said it wasn't worth the risk. I've taken a break the past 4 years, only doing support for people, but I'm starting to miss it.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2016, 11:47 AM   #3572
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rode the Legacy trail from Canmore up to Minnewanka on Friday. About 1km from the top I hear a rustling in the bushes and look over. Not 10 feet from me is an adolescent black bear. We were about equally startled as he fell out of the tree he was halfway up and I yelled "bear!" to my wife and peddled harder.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2016, 05:14 PM   #3573
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got out for my second ride on my Thunderbolt, man I love this bike, I really felt good ripping thru the trees on bragging rights. This bike is so much more responsive than my altitude and feels more playful. The bigger tires (2.4) seem to float over stuff.

Went out yesterday and did something like disconnect, reconnect, Merlin and parking lot. I was whipped after that ride as it seemed like lots of climbing to me.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:22 PM   #3574
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Got out for my second ride on my Thunderbolt, man I love this bike, I really felt good ripping thru the trees on bragging rights. This bike is so much more responsive than my altitude and feels more playful. The bigger tires (2.4) seem to float over stuff.

Went out yesterday and did something like disconnect, reconnect, Merlin and parking lot. I was whipped after that ride as it seemed like lots of climbing to me.
Have you tried her out in the slack setting yet? With a 130 fork, it feels more slack than my 2011 Reign. I was out there yesterday too and, for the first time, cleaned the double berm on SNL. It's so damn easy to pick your ass end up and pivot it around on a thunderbolt.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:23 PM   #3575
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
I'm now riding mostly on the road now. It's safer!
Like hell it is, Calgary drivers have a hatred for cyclists so strong I do not feel safe at all. I've had truck mirrors whizz by my head on empty roads way too many times to trust vehicles in this city.
The Following User Says Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2016, 06:27 PM   #3576
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Like hell it is, Calgary drivers have a hatred for cyclists so strong I do not feel safe at all. I've had truck mirrors whizz by my head on empty roads way too many times to trust vehicles in this city.
Take the lane. On any multi lane road. You will get honked at but not clipped.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2016, 09:15 PM   #3577
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Take the lane. On any multi lane road. You will get honked at but not clipped.
Not in my experience. Hatred grows taking the lane on multi - honking plus drivers crowding.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:23 PM   #3578
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Have you tried her out in the slack setting yet? With a 130 fork, it feels more slack than my 2011 Reign. I was out there yesterday too and, for the first time, cleaned the double berm on SNL. It's so damn easy to pick your ass end up and pivot it around on a thunderbolt.
It was set up in neutral, and given I have only been able to get it out twice on real dirt, it is too soon to be horsing around with the ride-9.

I am on holidays for a week soon, and the wife and I are heading out to fernie, can't wait to rip it up on the lazy lizard.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #3579
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got forced into a curb by a car today on my way to work - ass over teakettle. Pretty bad road rash down my leg and elbow. Had to dig - literally dig - a rock out of my skin. Good times! LOL

Don't worry guys - I broke the bike's fall, not a scratch on it.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #3580
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Got forced into a curb by a car today on my way to work - ass over teakettle. Pretty bad road rash down my leg and elbow. Had to dig - literally dig - a rock out of my skin. Good times! LOL

Don't worry guys - I broke the bike's fall, not a scratch on it.
Did they stop? Hopefully you heal fast.
Closed Thread