Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 08-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

In any day and age your pretty much asking for trouble when you do anything to another person. Throwing a butt back in someones face, cutting someone off on the road. Its not this generation, but almost any generation going back to the days when we climbed out of the muck and dropped our tails in the sand.

But it just seems that over the last little while, especially in the major cities, people are a lot quicker to anger, retailiate, bully whatever. Maybe its stress.

At the same time, people need to realized before they drop knuckles, that there's a pretty good likelyhood that at the end of the day you could be sitting in a jail cell awaiting charges, or brain damaged, crippled, or dead.

Fights are incredibly dangerous and if you get in one, a clean shot to the head via a punch or kick or sucker punch could pretty much get your lights put out if you can't or won't defend yourself.

At the same time, the victim here was foolish, not because he necessarily did the wrong thing, but throwing a butt into someone's car without knowing who that person is, is really foolish.

What if there had been kids in the car and one of them had been burned? Or some goof with a knife or a gun, or someone with a boyfriend who knows what he's doing?

Discretion is the better part of valor. Save your confrontations for when you really have no choice but to confront, but you can somewhat control the situation.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #22
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Hopefully the assaulter will face charges and justice served, but it doesn't happen as fast as tv land and it's never simple when you are laying this serious of a charge.
Sure. But this is a case where the RCMP has apparently been willfully nontransparent for inexplicable reasons at this point.

Two days after the young man died they should have released a statement as per usual.

"On July 12, 2017 an incident occurred where a young man was punched. He succumbed to his injuries on July 15, 2017. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has taken over and treating it as a homicide investigation. The assailant has been identified by police and his name will be released if any charges are made. There is no concern to public safety."

Took all of 10 seconds to do if that's the case. Instead the police had to be pushed by a journalist to say that a homicide investigation was even taking place and the public is still left in the dark. The concerned witnesses who saw a man die were probably shocked that there was 0 information. That's not the norm, something is sketch. It could just be incompetency, or the RCMP doesn't think it has to be transparent to the public anymore. Either way it's an absolute disgrace.

I realize there's times that the police can't release a statement like that or it would effect the investigation, there's really nothing in this scenario that would seem to suggest that to be the case here though.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #23
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canucks Fans, amirite?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #24
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There should be a special fine for cigarette butts, with the fire hazard it's not just littering but a complete disregard for people and property.
I'm sure existing littering bylaws could be used, but the real problem is how do you effectively enforce them?
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #25
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
But it just seems that over the last little while, especially in the major cities, people are a lot quicker to anger, retailiate, bully whatever. Maybe its stress.
I think a big factor is the unwillingness of bystanders to get involved. It used to be that if a public argument was brewing to the point of violence, bystanders would step in and try to break things up. Today, if two people are engaged in an escalating argument or threatening situation, it may as well be happening on the moon for all the chances of any public intervention.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #26
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
There should be a special fine for cigarette butts, with the fire hazard it's not just littering but a complete disregard for people and property.
Under Calgary's bylaws, it is a $1000 fine for throwing a lit cigarette out of a car. Most recent article I could easily find for BC - from 2015 - had it as a $173 fine out there.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 09:03 AM   #27
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should be jail for tossing a butt in these dry conditions..anywhere, period. It's a simple reaction for me to want to chuck a butt back into the car from where it came. This story should be mandatory reading for 18-25 year old jabronis.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #28
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I think a big factor is the unwillingness of bystanders to get involved. It used to be that if a public argument was brewing to the point of violence, bystanders would step in and try to break things up. Today, if two people are engaged in an escalating argument or threatening situation, it may as well be happening on the moon for all the chances of any public intervention.
It all goes back to people not wanting to get involved because they don't know what they're going to get into.

for all they know this simple fight might evolve into a knife fight, or someone pulls a gun. Or both sides beat up the person intervening.

So its just not worth it to jump in, especially if you have no skin in the game.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #29
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did he die from the punch, his head hitting the counter or the floor, or some underlying medical reason? These are all reasons the charge could go from murder to manslaughter to accident.
Actually, this is incorrect, as far as I'm aware. I'm pretty sure the thin skull rule applies equally in the criminal context in Canada as it does in tort. Basically, if you're a wrongful actor, you take your victim as you find him. In other words, if you sucker punch a guy in the ear, and unbeknownst to you he has a medical condition that makes him ten times more likely to die from a sucker punch in the ear, that is not a defense.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #30
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Actually, this is incorrect, as far as I'm aware. I'm pretty sure the thin skull rule applies equally in the criminal context in Canada as it does in tort. Basically, if you're a wrongful actor, you take your victim as you find him. In other words, if you sucker punch a guy in the ear, and unbeknownst to you he has a medical condition that makes him ten times more likely to die from a sucker punch in the ear, that is not a defense.
Not really my area either, but I think that is correct. Assuming the original punch was unlawful (not in self-defense, for example), I don't think it would matter that he didn't intend to kill him.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #31
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

iirc the leading case is Smithers. Unlawful act that contributes to death outside of de minimus range.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #32
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
iirc the leading case is Smithers. Unlawful act that contributes to death outside of de minimus range.
This was definitively proven to be incorrect. In fact it was Maggie.

Spoiler!
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #33
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Not true.

These days, if people see an altercation, they will attempt to make a video to post on social media in order to gain likes or push an agenda.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #34
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the killer is either a cop or a relative of a cop.

I hope I'm wrong though.

*from what I remember of criminal law in class, it would be a one-punch manslaughter case.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #35
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Under Calgary's bylaws, it is a $1000 fine for throwing a lit cigarette out of a car. Most recent article I could easily find for BC - from 2015 - had it as a $173 fine out there.
I'd be interested to know if this fine has ever actually been handed out to anyone. With all the cigarette butts one sees everywhere in this city you'd think bylaw would be able to solve any budget shortcomings pretty easily if they chose to.
redflamesfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #36
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

It's surprising how idiotic people can be. I witnessed the car in front of me throwing a butt out the window last week in the right lane of southbound Macleod at Heritage right by the grassy area where they sell the Christmas trees. Ridiculously dumb in these hot conditions.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #37
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How long it will take for people to realize you can kill someone by sucker-punching them in the face?
This is where I blame movies/tv. All action movies show people getting knocked out for minutes/hours and it's no big deal. In real life, that would be serious head trauma.

pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #38
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflamesfan08 View Post
I'd be interested to know if this fine has ever actually been handed out to anyone. With all the cigarette butts one sees everywhere in this city you'd think bylaw would be able to solve any budget shortcomings pretty easily if they chose to.
Yes, it has. Problem is enforcement. Most people aren't stupid enough to throw a butt both where a cop sees it and where it is reasonably safe to pull the driver over.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #39
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like you're dealing with two very fiery, opinionated, confrontational personalities here, unfortunate incident all around. Completely avoidable situation, and unnecessary if you have the ability to be level-headed and not react to everything on pure emotion

Last edited by Sainters7; 08-10-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #40
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Should be jail for tossing a butt in these dry conditions..anywhere, period. It's a simple reaction for me to want to chuck a butt back into the car from where it came. This story should be mandatory reading for 18-25 year old jabronis.
Fascist.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote