Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #41
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You mean Malcolm Turnbull? This guy?

Don't know much about him.
The nature of your links indicates to me that you really don't know much about him. I'm even 50/50 on whether or not you even knew his name before you googled it. Of course, I gave you a specific reason to google his name, but you will have a hard time convincing me that you follow Australian politics closely.

Quote:
Well, this boils down to the interest of the individual. Some people have an incredible level of interest in what is going on in certain countries or with certain issues, so they actively will follow sources of information that informs them on those issues. Sort of like this site. You have people from all over the world who come here for information about the Flames. You have a thread where people come to discuss American politics, and for the most part, the people are pretty well informed. It all depends on interests and desire to know more on given topics.
Yes, it boils down to the interest of the individual. But we're really talking about the herd here. And for the herd (i.e.: the rest of the world), their knowledge of Justin Trudeau is encapsulated by things like his staged photobombs and his complete pwnage of Trump's handshake games going viral.

The reality of Trudeau is, as I said, considerably more complex and something that largely only Canadians themselves are aware of or care about.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #42
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is precisely why I cast my vote for Trudeau. The global PR alone is worth the price of admission. Politically needs to be better or have better people in place. He's our Obama but he doesn't have the groundbreaking platform he did.
I loved the sell job on the diversity of hi cabinet, I bought it. In retrospect,, perhaps people who could do the job without looking like fools would be better.
Hopefully this first term is a giant training session for Trudeau and his politics gets stronger and better the second term. Because I honestly don't think the other party's have a leader who can overcome the popularity of the baby face.

Last edited by dammage79; 07-26-2017 at 11:02 AM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #43
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really enjoyed the 'Canadian burn'.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #44
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The nature of your links indicates to me that you really don't know much about him. I'm even 50/50 on whether or not you even knew his name before you googled it. Of course, I gave you a specific reason to google his name, but you will have a hard time convincing me that you follow Australian politics closely.
Even though I have family in Australia, and communicate with them regularly, I'll happily admit I don't really follow Australian politics. It just doesn't impact my life. But our largest trading partners and neighbors, yeah I tend to hold more interest.

You know, I could play that same gotcha game and ask you to name all the Mexican states, which you should know considering they are such an integral part of NAFTA, but does that really prove anything? You likely approach the subject of Mexico holistically and look at the whole country as one big problem rather than understanding the nuances of the challenges which face Mexico, its states, and NAFTA. That is fine and dandy, but makes the point.

Quote:
Yes, it boils down to the interest of the individual. But we're really talking about the herd here. And for the herd (i.e.: the rest of the world), their knowledge of Justin Trudeau is encapsulated by things like his staged photobombs and his complete pwnage of Trump's handshake games going viral.
Maybe Canada needs a better publicist then. Or maybe they need to take a larger leadership role on the international stage (which Trudeau appears to be doing) so those issues garner more traction in other countries. The views of other leaders and their local politics only matter when those same leaders have influence in the way other nations do things. Trudeau is becoming more of a power player on the international stage like no other Canadian leader since his father. As that reputation and influence grows, so will the importance of what he does and says domestically.

Quote:
The reality of Trudeau is, as I said, considerably more complex and something that largely only Canadians themselves are aware of or care about.
This is true, but that will change if Trudeau continues to wear his big boy socks and show leadership on the international stage. If Trudeau continues to provide the adult leadership on behalf of North America, what he says on any stage will matter and be followed.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #45
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #46
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Graphs without any context really prove your point, troutman!

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #47
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's supposed to be the Canadian dollar.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #48
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Just as I was warming up to Trudeau, I read that article and find out he rides a unicycle. Sorry, Justin... No vote for you!
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #49
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
This is true, but that will change if Trudeau continues to wear his big boy socks and show leadership on the international stage. If Trudeau continues to provide the adult leadership on behalf of North America, what he says on any stage will matter and be followed.
It's sad that what passes for "adult leadership" is rather similar to the behaviour of a selfie-obsessed teenage girl, however yes, Trudeau is pretty much the closest thing North America has to a leader right now. Course, Harper was also a brilliant example of "adult leadership on behalf of North America" relative the other big option available to us right now.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #50
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Hitler was man of the year in 1938 according to TIME.

Also, this:

Spoiler!

Not sure what the point of the thread is.
You Godwin'd the Canadian Prone Minister on the cover of Rolling Stone at the start of page two.

That's impressive?
Old 07-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #51
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's sad that what passes for "adult leadership" is rather similar to the behaviour of a selfie-obsessed teenage girl
This is pretty silly. He's seen as a leader due to the stances he's been taking on the international stage. Taking in refugees, committing to climate change, and championing reproductive rights all play well in other developed nations (our neighbours to the South notwithstanding).

Last edited by rubecube; 07-26-2017 at 12:48 PM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #52
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Trudeau is exceeding my expectations (which were admittedly very low). He's smart enough to recognize that he needs to let his advisers make the important decisions for him and his strength is that of a figurehead PR role, almost like a governor general. The average idiot loves his shtick.
Yeah, he's an appealing spokesperson for the Canada brand. It's probably a good thing that he leaves policy to the Liberal party wonks who really run the country.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #53
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This is pretty silly. He's seen as a leader due to the stances he's been taking on the international stage. Taking in refugees, committing to climate change, and championing reproductive rights all play well in other developed nations (our neighbours to the South notwithstanding).
And yet, the coverage of Trudeau on bbc.co.uk, for instance, is overwhelmingly made up of fluff pieces. Though there is some crossover between the fluff and the stances.

This really all goes back to my original point. Trudeau's international popularity is primarily a function of his being photogenic. Nothing wrong with that, but I do disagree with the assertion that we should be proud of our leader's superficiality because of it. I'd much rather praise him for something you brought up - his pragmatic approach to things like pipelines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #54
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay, I dont like Trudeau, but thats not a fair statement.
you are likely correct, but that being said, sometimes CEO's resign when things go sideways even though they may have had nothing to do with the event.

obviously sone else likely made the ultimate decision no to offend the barbarians by telling them this si a barbaric act.

I suppose at the end of the day, JT is likely the best PM we can have right now.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #55
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's style over substance but that can get you pretty far on this planet. As a liberal leader he's not nearly as bumbling as Martin or greasy as Chretien.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-26-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #56
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And yet, the coverage of Trudeau on bbc.co.uk, for instance, is overwhelmingly made up of fluff pieces. Though there is some crossover between the fluff and the stances.

This really all goes back to my original point. Trudeau's international popularity is primarily a function of his being photogenic. Nothing wrong with that, but I do disagree with the assertion that we should be proud of our leader's superficiality because of it. I'd much rather praise him for something you brought up - his pragmatic approach to things like pipelines.
Trudeau is like Small Children or a Trick Pony, you trot them out to impress your friends and neighbours but when theres real work to be done you put them away because they're not going to help.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #57
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are things I don't like (I'm still a bit pissed about the Liberals doubling back on election reform), but I think the vision of Canada's international role that has emerged under the Liberals, as well as his handling of the relationship with the US under Trump have been perfect. With the latter, maintaining a friendly relationship with Trump while working directly with the states and governors on things like trade and climate are a fantastic approach that has worked extremely well so far. It's difficult to say how much of that is Trudeau and how much of it is others within the Liberal party (Chrystia Freeland's speech on the subject of Canada's international role was excellent so she deserved credit for whatever role she's had in developing those approaches), but Trudeau works really well as an international figurehead for those strategies.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #58
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm no Trudeau lover, but that was a pretty good article. Other than comparing Harper to Dick Cheney
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:30 PM   #59
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I don't think it's likely Canadians will experience another PM who can generate this type of piece.
Sure we will. The next time Americans vote in a president that the US media and Hollywood despise it's going to make our PM look much better in comparison. This is a grass is greener article as plenty of Americans aren't happy with what they have so it's natural to look at the grass on the other side of the fence as greener. If Obama is president this article likely isn't getting written.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #60
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its not a really deep article, but its more about, we have a jerk faced, liar in the whitehouse and Canada has a wavy haired teenager.

It doesn't dig much, its about deep eyes and wavy hair and he seems like a nice guy.

Its a puff piece.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote