Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #121
Love
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
All three of those players are top-line centres on most teams in the NHL. I would go as far to say that Malkin is the top centre on EVERY NHL team other than Pittsburgh, and maybe Edmonton.
That's exactly my point. Even though they are extreme examples. Me saying that Monahan would be better suited as a 2nd line center is just due to looking at the trend of recent cup winners around the league. If that's the goal, he isn't nearly good enough
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #122
Love
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
No wonder you're asking others to define your stance. You can't even keep track of it yourself. You're moving goalposts all over the place.
Not really. I was speaking relatively to other first line centers around the league. Compared to the average player like say a Michael Frolik, he's a shooter and has way better puck skills and instincts, but is slower worse defensively.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #123
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
That's exactly my point. Even though they are extreme examples. Me saying that Monahan would be better suited as a 2nd line center is just due to looking at the trend of recent cup winners around the league. If that's the goal, he isn't nearly good enough
The trend of Cup winners around the league is to ice two top-line centres. The Flames have one, so I would agree that they could use another. That is different from asserting over and over that Monahan is best suited as a second line centre, and I would counter in that in point of fact he most certainly is good enough to be one of the two on a team with Cup aspirations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #124
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The trend of Cup winners around the league is to ice two top-line centres. The Flames have one, so I would agree that they could use another. That is different from asserting over and over that Monahan is best suited as a second line centre, and I would counter in that in point of fact he most certainly is good enough to be one of the two on a team with Cup aspirations.
Before LA won the cup I suspect you wouldn't find Kopitar on Love's list of elite centres.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote