Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-09-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
the2bears
Franchise Player
 
the2bears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Bay Area
Exp:
Default

Always enjoy these, thanks for doing them!
__________________
the2bears - the indie shmup blog.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:26 PM   #3
joejoe3
Powerplay Quarterback
 
joejoe3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Thank you for your mention of Peluso, I almost thought he didn't make it in your game take.
__________________
GO FLAMES GO!
joejoe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:49 PM   #4
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Agree with your last point. An all rookie D pairing against one of the best teams in the league? Hard not be satisfied with how they played.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:52 PM   #5
DeluxeMoustache
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Exp:
Default

Good write up. Gracias.

I actually thought the Pred got a piece of it, when seeing the replays, and it was the right call. But slick hands in tight by Bennett, poor guy.

Also saw some people complaining about the 5 on 3, but those are 2 legit trips. Stripes weren’t bad tonight.

Nice to see a solid 60 min, continuing with pace and not allowing a push from the Preds.

Most of all, nice to see a team look so good this early in the year.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #6
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Good write up. Gracias.

I actually thought the Pred got a piece of it, when seeing the replays, and it was the right call. But slick hands in tight by Bennett, poor guy.

Also saw some people complaining about the 5 on 3, but those are 2 legit trips. Stripes weren’t bad tonight.

Nice to see a solid 60 min, continuing with pace and not allowing a push from the Preds.

Most of all, nice to see a team look so good this early in the year.
But even still, the Predators player may have just touched the puck. It certainly was not a play on which to blow the whistle, and in numerous other games we have seen similar plays continue until the opposing team has had more obvious, deliberate contact with the puck.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Bingo
Owner
 
Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Vallimaki is ahead of Andersson at this point. Both will make mistakes, but Valimaki doesn't hesitate, he seems to know what he wants to do always.

Andersson had a few times where he held it too long or forced something that wasn't there.

Either way pretty crazy to think the team is likely a month or two away from having two 21 year olds and a 20 year defenseman on the roster full time.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #8
EastCoastFlamesFan
Farm Team Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: DC by way of CT
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Vallimaki is ahead of Andersson at this point. Both will make mistakes, but Valimaki doesn't hesitate, he seems to know what he wants to do always.

Andersson had a few times where he held it too long or forced something that wasn't there.

Either way pretty crazy to think the team is likely a month or two away from having two 21 year olds and a 20 year defenseman on the roster full time.
Agree on Rasmus. He seemed to be a bit overwhelmed during the first period. Had a lot of pucks die on his stick and also seemed to be making errant passes to no one. Looks like he settled down midway through the second. He sticks out though, as he seems built like a brick wall. Hoping his conditioning issues are a thing of the past.
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #9
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player
 
Roof-Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Vallimaki is ahead of Andersson at this point. Both will make mistakes, but Valimaki doesn't hesitate, he seems to know what he wants to do always.

Andersson had a few times where he held it too long or forced something that wasn't there.

Either way pretty crazy to think the team is likely a month or two away from having two 21 year olds and a 20 year defenseman on the roster full time.
Then you combine that with the fact that our top 4 scoring forwards are 25, 24, 20 and 23.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #10
Bingo
Owner
 
Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Then you combine that with the fact that our top 4 scoring forwards are 25, 24, 20 and 23.
And our number one goalie is ....

wait
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #11
Split98
Franchise Player
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London, Ontario
Exp:
Default

Great writeup as usual! That game was what a lot of us were really excited to see when we saw this roster on paper. What's even more exciting is that they're looking this good with an entire line still in need of hitting the scoresheet. Neal will get going soon, and if Bennett keeps bringing this kind of game he's going to have a year.



Something I really liked seeing was how effective Peluso was with the time he was given. He didn't need to see the ice often, but when he was out he was very effective. He created a great chance with a heavy forecheck that showed our depth isn't hurt too terribly when he's out there. It's tough to say what impact he had on the game, but if he's not a negative out there I can't say I didn't like the end result!

I think we're going to have to stop seeing a night off as a negative with a roster like this. I think if there's a need for Peluso that night, he's shown to be a part of the depth that will allow them to roll 4 lines. I could see Dube, Jankowski, Bennett and Frolik cycling nights off depending on the team they're playing against and how they're doing... and maybe someone locked into the top-9 could use a night off to let a few things heal up.

At risk of killing his momentum, I'd love to see Dube get a chance to watch the game if he doesn't get on the scoresheet soon. Hopefully this can be an advantage or a breather, opposed to the punishment a night off usually is.

Imagine if Neal could watch and dissect the Blues game Thursday and Jankowski draws back in. The obvious response will be 'Neal is benched', and I'm sure he'd rather play than watch... but if we're going to treat this like a business and we ignore what a night off usually means... this could be a positive for Neal (I'm not saying bench neal Thursday, FYI. It's too early for this NOT to misconstrued as a negative).

But if we had that mentality:
@ Blues: Neal out
@ Avalanche: Peluso out
vs Bruins: Dube out
vs. Predators: TBD

Last edited by Split98; 10-10-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #12
Samonadreau
First Line Centre
 
Samonadreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North
Exp:
Default

^Re: Dube taking a night off to watch. It helped Gaudreau immensely after 6 games in his first season. Definitely not the worst thing. Not necessarily punishment for a rookie, it can be a development tool.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #13
Split98
Franchise Player
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London, Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
And our number one goalie is ....

wait
21
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
^Re: Dube taking a night off to watch. It help Gaudreau immensely after 6 games in jis first season. Definitely not the worst thing. Not necessarily punishment for a rookie, it can be a development tool.
Yeah, but Dube has been far more effective than Gaudreau was in that initial stint. I think he's better served with ice time at the moment. For different reasons I think neal is the same. He's not going to learn anything in the press box. He needs consistent time with a centre IMO. That centre should probably be Backlund but Czarnik has been so good it's hard to do that.

Right now they have one more player than spots, if Peluso keeps up his decent play (he's obviously the most likely to drop off).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #15
Split98
Franchise Player
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London, Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
^Re: Dube taking a night off to watch. It helped Gaudreau immensely after 6 games in his first season. Definitely not the worst thing. Not necessarily punishment for a rookie, it can be a development tool.
It really turned his season. Oct 17, 2014 he sat and the next game was 1G 1A. He'd finish the month with 6 pts in 6 games, and a damn good season.

It doesn't look like it was all that poorly viewed at the time either surprisingly:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-blue-jackets/

"The standout rookie went pointless in the first five games of the season, averaging 12:56 in ice-time, one shot and a plus-2 rating." and the poll was 64% that this was a good idea... so maybe this will be much better received than I thought
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #16
Split98
Franchise Player
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London, Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, but Dube has been far more effective than Gaudreau was in that initial stint. I think he's better served with ice time at the moment. For different reasons I think neal is the same. He's not going to learn anything in the press box. He needs consistent time with a centre IMO. That centre should probably be Backlund but Czarnik has been so good it's hard to do that.

Right now they have one more player than spots, if Peluso keeps up his decent play (he's obviously the most likely to drop off).
Why do you think that is?

I would bet that a players preference is to work it out on the ice, but I think watching the game is very advantageous. If someone on this roster has to sit it out, there's a lot that player can take away from a night off.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #17
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE
 
Frank MetaMusil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Just like the Vancouver games featured nothing but Calgary players with gaudy possession numbers, tonight’s game was a list of Flame’s players that were seemingly owned.
This is why I simply can't be bothered with these "stats". To me, Calgary had the puck more and controlled the pace more often.
Frank MetaMusil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #18
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Why do you think that is?

I would bet that a players preference is to work it out on the ice, but I think watching the game is very advantageous. If someone on this roster has to sit it out, there's a lot that player can take away from a night off.
Because Neal is 31-years-old and has been playing professional hockey at the highest level for more than a decade. GioforPM is talking about Neal not learning anything in the press box, and he is correct.
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #19
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
This is why I simply can't be bothered with these "stats". To me, Calgary had the puck more and controlled the pace more often.
Sometimes it works like that, but most of the time it does not. I think there was a bigger difference in last night's game than in Game #1 on the basis of score effects. The Flames looked like a good road team in this game, while in Game #1 the same cannot be said—the Canucks appeared to me in that game consistently overmatched. There was a fairly obvious skill-gap in that game which was accurately reflected in the underlying numbers. Last night was different.
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #20
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar
 
Flashpoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Exp:
Default

Always appreciate the detailed write ups and analysis.

I wanted to ask something of the CP collective as regards advanced stats.

Would Kent Nilsson have been considered an advanced stats darling?

He's always sort of represented for me the epitome of a guy with all the talent in the world (and who could directly apply it to the scoresheet), but also a tin-man who couldn't / wouldn't do it night in night out.

When he was traded during the offseason it effectively removed (IIRC) 98 points from our lineup. Not utterly dissimilar to losing Hamilton as a top NHL point producer for D.

Yet it was in the subsequent years that we became an elite franchise. I have to wonder what the advanced stats folks would have made of the deal at the time.

Anyway, it's been kind of bugging me - the "intangible" aspect, or "addition by subtraction", and I wanted to know the takes of the people here.
__________________
""You miss 100% of the shots you don't drink."
-Wayne Gretzky
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:34 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016