Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 10-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #2781
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I think there were enough on ice reasons to justify trading Hamilton, particularly given the return.

But you do have a point. Things weren't perfect. Treliving said it himself post trade. I tend to follow the principle that you can't believe anything a GM says in public, but I will believe his comment that "we want players who want to be here". Hamilton didn't want to be there it seems, and they didn't feel strongly enough about him as a player to try and make it work.

The not hanging out with the team thing? Well, if a guy is giving it all on the ice, I suspect most of that can be forgiven.
Agreed ... when you think of the mixture of assets, age and team control. The taking a step back on the blueline but still getting a great young asset, while greatly altering your forward core it's a good deal. Selling high on Ferland and his UFA status are other feathers.

Good hockey deal.

I think Shannon's comments were funny, but they shouldn't have become the poster child for the trade the way they've been. That's not his fault as he was giving a facetious example, not reporting. But it's clouded over the trade to the point where it looks like he was studious and rejected for being so which I'm guessing wasn't the case.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #2782
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickk382 View Post
Say all you want, I would've given up a first round pick instead of Ferland in that trade. He is everything a team not only wants but needs.

Work ethic, hands, IQ, strength, balls, huge balls, balls of steel.
I really like Ferland too, but I'm glad they made the tough decision in trading a guy that wasn't going to see much ice-time here with the changes anyway.

Here's tonights potential lineup:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Czarnik
Bennett-Jankowski-Neal
Frolik-Ryan-Peluso

I only see room for Ferland if you bench Bennett, Peluso or Frolik. He is definitely an upgrade over Peluso, but he's not having the season he's having with Carolina from back there.

So you're either stunting any development we hope to see from Bennett, trading away a great defensive asset in Frolik or punting Ferland to the 4th line.

OR we can find a great piece to our first line and complete a trade to add a 21yo stud defenseman.

Ferland was a lot of things, but on this team he wasn't going to be bringing a whole ton of it. I'm really happy with this trade so far for everyone involved.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #2783
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Agreed ... when you think of the mixture of assets, age and team control. The taking a step back on the blueline but still getting a great young asset, while greatly altering your forward core it's a good deal. Selling high on Ferland and his UFA status are other feathers.

Good hockey deal.

I think Shannon's comments were funny, but they shouldn't have become the poster child for the trade the way they've been. That's not his fault as he was giving a facetious example, not reporting. But it's clouded over the trade to the point where it looks like he was studious and rejected for being so which I'm guessing wasn't the case.
I'm of the belief that this isn't the case though.

It's extremely early, but I like Hanifins game defensively a whole lot more than Dougies, and also believe there is a ton more we are yet to see offensively...he just needs to get settled in a bit more, get Hamonic back (as those two seem to really have chemistry and a nice blend at that)
Old 10-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #2784
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think over time it'll prove we got the two best players in the deal. Hanifin is already superior to Hamilton in nearly every way outside of his shot, and Lindholm is a beast.

I adore this trade. Although losing out on Ferland for this season kind of sucks, but he's about to get paid this summer so it was meant to happen anyways.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #2785
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Adam fox is the tipping point for me. If he turns out to be a top4 pp dman theh Carolina wins the trade. Saying that I still like what we got!
IF Fox signs there. Unless I've missed something, was there any indication that Fox had a desire to sign in Carolina?
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:38 PM   #2786
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I. ####ing. Love. Elias. LINDHOLM!

edit. wrong thread, but god damn if it doesn't still apply

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #2787
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dougie who?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #2788
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Early read, but I'm really pleased with what Lindholm brings to the table. Hanifin doesn't really stand out, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for a defenceman.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:48 PM   #2789
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Dougie is still 5th in average TOI for Carolina D.

Pretty crazy to think about.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:53 PM   #2790
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Dougie is still 5th in average TOI for Carolina D.

Pretty crazy to think about.
Depends on how highly you thought of him.

Carolina has a lot of really good well rounded D, some of whom retrieve the puck
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #2791
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s still early but Lindholm is looking like a goal scorer. Hard to believe he didn’t score much with Carolina. Is he streaky?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #2792
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s still early but Lindholm is looking like a goal scorer. Hard to believe he didn’t score much with Carolina. Is he streaky?
Only when he heads through the quad and onto the gymnasium. Also only if people bring their green hats and everybody is doing it.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #2793
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Well look at the quality of linemates that he had in carolina, and now in Calgary.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #2794
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

watching the Carolina/Jet game tonight - be fun to see how Hamilton and Ferland look
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #2795
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Although losing out on Ferland for this season kind of sucks, but he's about to get paid this summer so it was meant to happen anyways.

Not picking on you but I see this ‘Ferland’s going to get paid’ justification a lot. If he gets paid it’s because he’s playing well enough to get paid and is worth it to some team. How different is that from Neal ‘getting paid’? Consistency you say....well if he’s inconsistent he’s not going to get paid. It’s like saying he will be too good for the Flames which makes no sense.

I’m not unhappy with the trade or the Neal deal but wouldn’t be surprised if we decide in a couple of years that the Flames paid the wrong guy.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #2796
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just adding that Neal had no acquisition cost and Flames do not get Lindholm and Hanifin without Ferland going to Carolina.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #2797
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
Well look at the quality of linemates that he had in carolina, and now in Calgary.
He’s not just scoring because of his linemates though. Look at that tying goal vs. the Avalanche. Looks like a goal scorer so far.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #2798
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindholm - 6 Pts (4g, 2a) in 5 games is exactly the kind of start you’d hope for. It doesn’t seem like a fluke streak. In this role he should hit 60pts. He’s good all over the ice.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:05 AM   #2799
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Not picking on you but I see this ‘Ferland’s going to get paid’ justification a lot. If he gets paid it’s because he’s playing well enough to get paid and is worth it to some team. How different is that from Neal ‘getting paid’? Consistency you say....well if he’s inconsistent he’s not going to get paid. It’s like saying he will be too good for the Flames which makes no sense.

I’m not unhappy with the trade or the Neal deal but wouldn’t be surprised if we decide in a couple of years that the Flames paid the wrong guy.
They didn't decide to pay Neil instead of Ferland, they needed Ferland as a trade chip to get Hanifin and Lindholm. Neil hadn't even been signed then. If Ferland wasn't in that deal, then neither was Hanifin, and it would have been at best a 1 for 1 of Hamilton for Lindholm, which would have left the Flames without a 2nd pairing left D.

Whether Ferland > Neal is irrelevant, because Lindholm + Hanifin + Neal > Hamilton + Ferland, and having Lindholm + Hanifin + Ferland was never an option.

Now, if the Flames want to try to trade Neal in the off-season to free up the cap space to re-sign Ferland, I won't have a problem with that, although I do think that Neal brings a lower tolerance for losing that the dressing room really needs.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #2800
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

A huge factor for me is also control of the player. Fox does nothing for Carolina if he goes UFA. Likewise if Ferland goes the ufa route, although that may be less likely based on the cap room Carolina has. Altough you never know with that owner.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post: