Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #3961
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroneck View Post
OMG, Pratt is insufferable. With 960 taking the day off, I decided to listen to 1040 on the drive in...
It's a double-edged sword, really. Pratt's show is an endless stream of moronic, over-the-top hyperbole and mid-life crisis acting. It can be entertaining, but will usually cause the listener to degenerate into an uncontrollable rage about how one man can possibly be such a cartoon character.

But here is the flip side: While Pratt's show is a cornucopia of nonsense he is followed daily from 912 by Halford and Brough, who may be the best radio duo on the dial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #3962
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It's a double-edged sword, really. Pratt's show is an endless stream of moronic, over-the-top hyperbole and mid-life crisis acting. It can be entertaining, but will usually cause the listener to degenerate into an uncontrollable rage about how one man can possibly be such a cartoon character.

But here is the flip side: While Pratt's show is a cornucopia of nonsense he is followed daily from 9–12 by Halford and Brough, who may be the best radio duo on the dial.
Ugh. I turn the dial to 650 when 9 hits, I’m sure Sat Shah has benefitted from going head to head with those amateurs. Those two bozos remind me from the DJs on the simpsons. Not everything is a joke fellas.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #3963
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

This Sportsnet 650 station out here is gag worthy. Every second sentence contains the words "Pettersson" and "elite".

Comparisons to the Canucks' McDavid

saXon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #3964
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post

Why do people keep making this awful, inaccurate comparison. Clearly his only real comparison is Gretzky.

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR EVERYBODY HERE TONIGHT.
WHO WANTS TO WALK WITH ELIAS?

Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #3965
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canucks stealing a page from the Oilers defense corps:

https://twitter.com/statuses/1049807718670774272
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:53 AM   #3966
darthma
Scoring Winger

Location: Down by the sea, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go...
Exp:

TSN 1040 in Vancouver had Mike Gillis in on the drive home today. It was really an interesting listen. As much as we made fun of him, he was a very candid interview. I only caught the latter half of the interview.

A few points that I picked up, which may not be surprising, but it was neat to hear them from his mouth -

- He didn't want to hire Torts, and hated when he tried to fight Bob Hartley
- He was upset with the direction the management was heading in and didn't like how the players were being treated
- He still has mixed feelings about Manny Malholtra playing post-eye-injury. But Manny really wanted to play.
- His hands were tied for a lot of the decisions (despite being GM and Pres). And he knew the writing was on the wall when he stopped being able to influence the parts of the organization that were supposedly his to influence (this made me go "WOW").

I think I got the points right, but if anyone else listened feel free to add or correct. Basically, the Aquilini's are in control and meddled. I wonder if its the same in other organizations (like ours).
darthma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to darthma For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 07:10 AM   #3967
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I missed the first half of the Gillis interview, but I think you captured everything above correctly. Just to add a couple of items:

- Gillis tried hard to land Shea Weber before the Preds signed him (even traveled to his house in Kelowna to talk to him in person).
- He was really shook by the riot following the game 7 loss against Boston in 2011 (he understood the disappointment about losing the game, but couldn't believe the devastation and destruction that followed).
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 07:17 AM   #3968
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's kind of been blackballed hasn't he? He did do some good work in Vancouver. Certainly as good or better than Chiarelli but he's still out of the NHL. I think he had a bit of that "smartest man in the room" attitude like Feaster/Weisbrod and rubbed the NHL management fraternity the wrong way.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #3969
1qqaaz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Considering Jokiharju is currently tied with Pettersson for points from the blue line, Pratt may have called that putt a bit early...

I'd still say Svechnikov is the odds on favourite.
I'm not saying I disagree, but Svechnikov is only playing about 12 minutes per night.
How much do you suspect that'll raise as the season goes on?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #3970
darthma
Scoring Winger

Location: Down by the sea, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go...
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's kind of been blackballed hasn't he? He did do some good work in Vancouver. Certainly as good or better than Chiarelli but he's still out of the NHL. I think he had a bit of that "smartest man in the room" attitude like Feaster/Weisbrod and rubbed the NHL management fraternity the wrong way.
- He said he got along well with all the other GMs.
- Also another tidbit was that there were two occasions where they had the opportunity to trade Luongo to the Leafs.
darthma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #3971
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthma View Post
- He said he got along well with all the other GMs.
- Also another tidbit was that there were two occasions where they had the opportunity to trade Luongo to the Leafs.
Well he's not going to come out and say he didn't if he's actively trying to get back in the league and the reason he was asked the question is because there were rumors that other GM's didn't care for him.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #3972
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

He did have that attitude, I also take what he says with a grain of salt. When things were going good, he made every decision and was a genius. When the moves started to sour, it was ownership stepping in and tying his hands. Why would they though if he had been that successful? The types of moves being made didn't really change though. He had a thing for moving young players and picks for guys he thought might help like Ballard. He inherited a core from Burke/Nonis and just put parts in around the outside of it and took credit while hamstringing the future.

I do believe him about Torts though, that is the first move that I would say that the Aquabros had a hand in, but at that time I'd say Gillis was already on his way out after the first round sweep at the hands of San Jose.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #3973
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah he made several trades with the Panthers that never panned out. I definitely think there's something up with his personality as worse GM's have remained employed in the NHL in other capacities such as Don Maloney with the Flames. He's not getting a sniff and maybe he's considered too strong a personality for an existing GM to consider working under him. I think a team could do worse than hiring him though.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #3974
joejoe3
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
This Sportsnet 650 station out here is gag worthy. Every second sentence contains the words "Pettersson" and "elite".

Elite McPettersson
Old 10-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #3975
opendoor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know how actively he was seeking employment given that he was only 1 year into a 5 year extension when he was fired. Unless he had some kind of buyout clause where he got the same amount of money regardless of his future employment, he'd basically have been working his new job for free.

The same thing happened with Laurence Gilman. His contract with the Canucks was still in effect until recently and then he took a job as the Leafs' AGM soon after it expired.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #3976
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/statuses/1051283151304028160
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #3977
funnymunk
Draft Pick

He really got under Matheson's skin there..
funnymunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #3978
sec304
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Found a good video of the Matheson hit on Petterson
https://twitter.com/YahooCASports/st...024653824?s=08
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #3979
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Stick between the legs with the body slam after was very much so horse ####.

Expect a fine for Matheson.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #3980
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Classic Gaudreau 5hole breakaway!
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote