Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #2321
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just thought it was an interesting story. You mentioned privacy and if you have a cell phone chances are you don't have any. Knowing who you are, where you go and what you do is far worse, in my mind than generating a pop up add for bluetooth speaker I looked at once. This really isn't a Apple or Google thing but a general cell phone, day to day life thing.

Yes Apple has started to implement ways to prevent apps from using certain things from your phone but Android has done that as well for years. I don't think it matters all that much. The best way to prevent location and ad tracking is to eliminate all social media apps and stuff like ebates, amazon wish etc. It's all a shame really. We (my company) called out Apple on some of their practices around data collection and machines reaching out to Apple constantly during some big security audits this year. It was interesting stuff and the gist of it is Apple is one large hypocrite.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #2322
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
It was interesting stuff and the gist of it is Apple is one large hypocrite.
Is any of the info public, or can you elaborate anymore? I'd be fascinated to see it (and share with all the fanboys I know to irritate them).
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #2323
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Is any of the info public, or can you elaborate anymore? I'd be fascinated to see it (and share with all the fanboys I know to irritate them).
We sign NDA's around all of our security audits so can't really divulge any details and I assume the same would be true on Apple's side. We do security audits a few times a year, Marvel, Disney, fox etc but now that Apple is in the film and tv production game we just did two in Toronto and LA, not Vancouver yet.

The main issue we have is around the T2 security chip and its need to call home all the time, every 15 minutes I believe. The T2 is in (I think) every machine made since mid 2018.But on our production side we lock down all external networks and that is where 95% of our Mac's live. So when the mac cannot call home it essentially shuts down all licensed software on the machine whether it be a software key or a dongle. So we cannot run AVID, Color Front, Resolve Baselight nothing.

Toronto has 27 new iMac Pros that are paper weights at the moment as we cannot use them on the production side. There's literally no reason for the machines to call home on a secure network when it is locked down as much as it can be locked down other than to keep tabs on the machine. I can see it on the consumer side but makes no sense to not have work arounds on the pro side.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #2324
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK - work has issued me an iPhone 11 - my first in a while since the iPhone 4.

What's the best way for me to move photos off of iPhone to file folders on my PC? (well technically it's a NAS) My goal first and foremost is to preserve file dates, and possibly to make it easier to match up the still photos with the little video dates.

Should I:
- Use File Explorer, go onto the iPhone, and copy/delete photos to the PC?
- Do this via iTunes?
- Do this via Windows photo import?
- Do this on a MacBook Air I have kicking around (and does have ability to access the NAS). This will be slower though as it'll be over wifi.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #2325
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
OK - work has issued me an iPhone 11 - my first in a while since the iPhone 4.

What's the best way for me to move photos off of iPhone to file folders on my PC? (well technically it's a NAS) My goal first and foremost is to preserve file dates, and possibly to make it easier to match up the still photos with the little video dates.

Should I:
- Use File Explorer, go onto the iPhone, and copy/delete photos to the PC?
- Do this via iTunes?
- Do this via Windows photo import?
- Do this on a MacBook Air I have kicking around (and does have ability to access the NAS). This will be slower though as it'll be over wifi.
I'd be interested to know what method you use and how it works out.

I don't have anything apple related but my fiance has been using iPhones for some time and she absolutely HATES how difficult it is to get pictures off her iPhone and onto our NAS. Especially when live photos get involved.

I know when she had her iMac, she had to use the export function from the Mac. She is now PC so she has tried plugging her phone into her PC and it fails so freakin always.

But I think a fully updated iTunes is the way to go. Very curios as to how others do this.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #2326
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My Apple products are terrible with photos, always have been. This doesn't address the specific post but I use Google Photos for everything, across all platforms. Free unlimited storage, Apple App Store, Google Play, desktop apps for PC and Mac, it's simple.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #2327
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
We sign NDA's around all of our security audits so can't really divulge any details and I assume the same would be true on Apple's side. We do security audits a few times a year, Marvel, Disney, fox etc but now that Apple is in the film and tv production game we just did two in Toronto and LA, not Vancouver yet.

The main issue we have is around the T2 security chip and its need to call home all the time, every 15 minutes I believe. The T2 is in (I think) every machine made since mid 2018.But on our production side we lock down all external networks and that is where 95% of our Mac's live. So when the mac cannot call home it essentially shuts down all licensed software on the machine whether it be a software key or a dongle. So we cannot run AVID, Color Front, Resolve Baselight nothing.

Toronto has 27 new iMac Pros that are paper weights at the moment as we cannot use them on the production side. There's literally no reason for the machines to call home on a secure network when it is locked down as much as it can be locked down other than to keep tabs on the machine. I can see it on the consumer side but makes no sense to not have work arounds on the pro side.

I had this a little backwards/wrong. The systems doesn't try and call out every 15 minutes or so but every time you launch a program so if the program has a license and cannot connect it will cause issues. It doesn't always hang but can take 10 or 15 minutes before things start to behave properly if at all. The systems try and reach out to domain.apple.com, you almost have to clear the whole 17.0.0.0/8 block for applications to behave.

But the general issue stands. We feel Apple risks security by allowing access to systems they themselves (production side) do not want anyone to have access to in order to "keep tabs" on things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 07:36 PM   #2328
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do it using the import (window that pops up when you plug the phone into your computer). Otherwise you lose virtually all of the exif data (gps, date taken, etc) if you just use copy from the phone with file explorer. Also it corrects landscape / portrait mode photos.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2020, 09:47 PM   #2329
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I'd be interested to know what method you use and how it works out.

I don't have anything apple related but my fiance has been using iPhones for some time and she absolutely HATES how difficult it is to get pictures off her iPhone and onto our NAS. Especially when live photos get involved.

I know when she had her iMac, she had to use the export function from the Mac. She is now PC so she has tried plugging her phone into her PC and it fails so freakin always.

But I think a fully updated iTunes is the way to go. Very curios as to how others do this.
OK I think I figured out the problem and a workaround. I don't profess to be an expert in Mac so YMMV.

After messing around with Photos on my MacAir, and the photo import tool in windows 10, turns out a direct USB connection to my PC was actually the most simple for me. Preserves EXIF info, dates, and also lets me delete images from the iPhone to clear up space.

Except the connection to my wife's iPhone 7 kept dropping out after copying 10 photos or so. A problem when 350 are queued for transfer. Turns out it was the HEIC format of the photos. This setting was enabled in the Photos settings:

What Automatic does is make the iphone convert to jpeg as part of the transfer so I can only assume it was overwhelming the iPhone and dropping the connection. Changing this to original let me move the HEIC files over using File Explorer no problem.

Then I used a HEIC convert to get them all back to JPEG. This is where the date modified field gets set to the date you convert, but the "date taken" field is very much intact. Alternatively, just get a HEIC codec and work with HEIC natively (as limiting as support is)

We'll see if my iPhone 11 does the same thing - with a bigger processor maybe it does better. You can force the camera to shoot in jpeg but then you lose 4K video which is no bueno.

Another tip I'd pass on is to always move files sorting by the "name" field to ensure both the JPEG and the MOV file of the live photo are moved together.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 01-05-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:56 PM   #2330
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have I ever said how much I love Mac's? Daisy chaining Mac's together in TDM to get the image from one onto another when, for whatever reason none of them seem to have a recovery partition (all shipped from other locations).

We call these things trashcans for more than one reason. To date we have had Apple replace 105 sets of GPU cards but they won't do anymore so I now have a fancy new desktop and bookends. LA is testing the Mac Pro, I really hope it holds up.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #2331
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you able to use Not Macs? They seem like a hassle. Or is the software Mac only?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #2332
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Are you able to use Not Macs? They seem like a hassle. Or is the software Mac only?
I wish. The current software and licensing is Mac only. We are looking to switch to different software that will run on Linux but worldwide it is 250 licenses so easier said than done. Plus, we would have to rewrite our entire backend, that shouldn't be too hard since it is pretty easy to make Mac scripts compatible with linux but you still need to test everything. VM's! Let's get everything into the cloud...
Old 01-08-2020, 04:30 PM   #2333
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ooo, the cloud. That sounds like the perfect solution to everything. Or so I've heard.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #2334
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ooo, the cloud. That sounds like the perfect solution to everything. Or so I've heard.
We have started using it more and more but have used the "cloud" plenty over the years. We have taken advantage of data centers and used their storage and render power when we need to temporarily expand for a show especially on the VFX side. We use cloud rendering now for file transcode although this one has not proven to be very efficient or reliable at the moment.

Lots of testing with the S3 bucket right. It's all pretty cool when it is somebody else's money.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:29 AM   #2335
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
OK I think I figured out the problem and a workaround. I don't profess to be an expert in Mac so YMMV.

After messing around with Photos on my MacAir, and the photo import tool in windows 10, turns out a direct USB connection to my PC was actually the most simple for me. Preserves EXIF info, dates, and also lets me delete images from the iPhone to clear up space.

Except the connection to my wife's iPhone 7 kept dropping out after copying 10 photos or so. A problem when 350 are queued for transfer. Turns out it was the HEIC format of the photos. This setting was enabled in the Photos settings:

What Automatic does is make the iphone convert to jpeg as part of the transfer so I can only assume it was overwhelming the iPhone and dropping the connection. Changing this to original let me move the HEIC files over using File Explorer no problem.

Then I used a HEIC convert to get them all back to JPEG. This is where the date modified field gets set to the date you convert, but the "date taken" field is very much intact. Alternatively, just get a HEIC codec and work with HEIC natively (as limiting as support is)

We'll see if my iPhone 11 does the same thing - with a bigger processor maybe it does better. You can force the camera to shoot in jpeg but then you lose 4K video which is no bueno.

Another tip I'd pass on is to always move files sorting by the "name" field to ensure both the JPEG and the MOV file of the live photo are moved together.
Bit of an update to this. After my new iPhone 11 also had issues with a USB connection dropping I realized I'd been going about this in a old school fashion of trying to establish a physical connection via USB.

Best way to do this: enable iCloud and download photos to PC from there:

- no more USB connection issues
- auto converts HEIC files to JPG (optional)
- great sync (and delete) capabilities between the physical device and the cloud). Delete something on the device and it deletes from the cloud. (note this can be good or bad, depending on your backup goals)
- iCloud segregates family sharing accounts into their respective accounts (it doesn't co-mingle them all into a single folder). Again, this can be good or bad depending on your goals.

Bad part - yes you have to pay to use iCloud but it is priced in line to Amazon or OneDrive.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:01 AM   #2336
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm perfectly content with my old iPhone 6 and I have a solid "bring your own device" plan ($65 for 15 gigs with Fido). Because of that good plan, I always figured that my next phone would be bought outright as I would save more in the long run than being trapped in a more expensive plan just to subsidize a phone.

Well on February 5th, Fido changed their structures and now you can retain your existing plan exactly how it is, and then finance a phone for 24 months without interest, and at the end of it I would pay less than retail price and I would own the phone entirely.

I don't need the latest and greatest, but the two options that jump out are:

1) iPhone 8 64 gigfor $15/month for 24 months.
2) iPhone XR 64 gig for $25/month for 24 months.

And Fido is also running a promotion where I will receive an additional $50 bill credit for upgrading. Both options come in a fair bit below retail price, which is obviously more appealing than paying the full cost up front.

So the iPhone 8 is older now, but still 3 years newer than my iPhone 6 and by all accounts, all that I need. But getting the iPhone XR would future-proof things a little bit. It will be a better, more supported phone for an extra year or two. The two phones are, of course, quite different in their design. The iPhone 8 is the last of the traditional "home button" style, and the XR has the full screen front. I don't need more than 64 gigs, to be honest. My iPhone 6 is 64 and aside from the occasional photo dump onto my computer, I have never had to worry about space.

I have tinkered with Android and think there are some merits, but to be honest, I just can't be bothered to switch. My ecosystem at home is Apple-heavy already. I know they've got me by the short and curlies, but I think I'm OK with that.

I'm obviously a guy who doesn't want or need to switch phones much (5 years with this iPhone 6), but it does seem financially prudent to take advantage of this opportunity to upgrade. I could probably squeeze another year or two out of my current iPhone 6, but I don't mind the thought of something new. That phone has been great and owes me nothing, but it has reached the end of its support life cycle as well, so I would expect that once I am a couple of iOS versions behind, some apps won't be compatible like with my old iOS 10 iPad.

So - what's a guy to do? Any standout arguments to sway me between the two? I wasn't thinking about upgrading right now, but I also didn't think that Fido would offer something that made financial sense either.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:09 AM   #2337
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I'm perfectly content with my old iPhone 6 and I have a solid "bring your own device" plan ($65 for 15 gigs with Fido). Because of that good plan, I always figured that my next phone would be bought outright as I would save more in the long run than being trapped in a more expensive plan just to subsidize a phone.

Well on February 5th, Fido changed their structures and now you can retain your existing plan exactly how it is, and then finance a phone for 24 months without interest, and at the end of it I would pay less than retail price and I would own the phone entirely.

I don't need the latest and greatest, but the two options that jump out are:

1) iPhone 8 64 gigfor $15/month for 24 months.
2) iPhone XR 64 gig for $25/month for 24 months.

And Fido is also running a promotion where I will receive an additional $50 bill credit for upgrading. Both options come in a fair bit below retail price, which is obviously more appealing than paying the full cost up front.

So the iPhone 8 is older now, but still 3 years newer than my iPhone 6 and by all accounts, all that I need. But getting the iPhone XR would future-proof things a little bit. It will be a better, more supported phone for an extra year or two. The two phones are, of course, quite different in their design. The iPhone 8 is the last of the traditional "home button" style, and the XR has the full screen front. I don't need more than 64 gigs, to be honest. My iPhone 6 is 64 and aside from the occasional photo dump onto my computer, I have never had to worry about space.

I have tinkered with Android and think there are some merits, but to be honest, I just can't be bothered to switch. My ecosystem at home is Apple-heavy already. I know they've got me by the short and curlies, but I think I'm OK with that.

I'm obviously a guy who doesn't want or need to switch phones much (5 years with this iPhone 6), but it does seem financially prudent to take advantage of this opportunity to upgrade. I could probably squeeze another year or two out of my current iPhone 6, but I don't mind the thought of something new. That phone has been great and owes me nothing, but it has reached the end of its support life cycle as well, so I would expect that once I am a couple of iOS versions behind, some apps won't be compatible like with my old iOS 10 iPad.

So - what's a guy to do? Any standout arguments to sway me between the two? I wasn't thinking about upgrading right now, but I also didn't think that Fido would offer something that made financial sense either.

I had an 8 with Koodo, and this past boxing day Telus had a big promo so I switched to an XR and moved to Telus. I really like the XR. Part of it, is that I'm older and I really like the larger screen and the battery life is really good. I wanted the 11, but the deal on the XR was too good to pass up.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #2338
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Last summer I upgraded from an 8 to an XR. There is a significant difference in performance, and having the bigger screen helps. The other thing is that more and more apps are using Face ID. For example my garage door opener. I swapped cars with a buddy for the day so had to use my app to open and close my door. With the Face ID it made it almost as easy as using a traditional opener.

Seeing as you have a 15GB plan, I assume you use your phone quite a bit. I would spend the extra $240 on a better device that you use all day- every day. There is also a much better chance that you will get more years out of the XR; seeing as you aren't a switch phone often kind of person.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #2339
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Last summer I upgraded from an 8 to an XR. There is a significant difference in performance, and having the bigger screen helps. The other thing is that more and more apps are using Face ID. For example my garage door opener. I swapped cars with a buddy for the day so had to use my app to open and close my door. With the Face ID it made it almost as easy as using a traditional opener.

Seeing as you have a 15GB plan, I assume you use your phone quite a bit. I would spend the extra $240 on a better device that you use all day- every day. There is also a much better chance that you will get more years out of the XR; seeing as you aren't a switch phone often kind of person.
To be honest, I usually only use about 5 or 6 gigs and that includes streaming music and podcasts (why download on wifi when you have that much data?!). It was just cheaper than my old 6 gig plan so I pounced on it.

But you're quite right - I do use my phone a fair bit. Not for anything fancy or intensive, but for a wide variety of things. As many of us over the years, my phone has replaced my camera, GPS unit, iPod, satellite radio, etc. So while I wouldn't call myself a power user, I have rolled many separate devices and processes into one. Not to mention the "new" ways of consuming home entertainment, reading articles, etc.

One thing that I find particularly compelling is the dual sim capability of the iPhone XR. Apparently one is nano and the other esim (which I am not familiar with), but from what I can gather, I can pop a travel sim in there and not have to carry a second device and/or fiddle with forwarding and that sort of thing.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #2340
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is a realistic timeframe for a battery to last? My wife has a 5S, had it about 3 years now and suddenly the battery life has gone to crap. She has no interest in ungrading to a newer phone ($$$) if possible so we are thinking of going the replacement battery route if it makes sense. Wondering it if it truly is the battery or if Apple has pushed out software updates that are essentially making the phone useless now.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote