Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #21
IGGYFORMVP
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Witcher 3 : The core game was amazing and the DLC's (especially blood and wine) could be a top 5 game on its own. 436 hrs played somehow (I must fall asleep at the keyboard alot). Best video game I have ever played.

Skyrim 365 hrs played - This game changed the industry. So many open world games followed its formula.

Divinity 2 368 hours played - Awesome strategy game. So much fun.

RDR2 - Just getting started on this one. The writing and character interaction is amazing.

Zelda- BotW - Also just getting started on this. So far a blast to play with the kids.

HM: Shogun 2, Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn
IGGYFORMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #22
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Updated to here. Top5 remains unchanged but The Witcher 3 jumps a few spots to take 2nd place!

Last edited by btimbit; 01-14-2020 at 02:22 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #23
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

So this is the issue I have. Skyrim changed gaming for me. While I'd always been a "completionist" for games I enjoy, I had never gone into a game and just lost myself in it the same way I did with Skyrim. The world felt massive and alive with no limit of things to do. It's replayability for just the base game was huge but then you had the modding community making the game something totally different. I didn't think I would ever find that feeling in a game again. Then Witcher 3 fell into my lap. A game that I got as an add-on for a new video card, I knew nothing about the series. I wasn't aware of any hype, I didn't know what to expect. I was nothing less than blown away. It was everything Skyrim was with updated graphics and a much more rewarding combat system. More than that, the world was even more alive. The characters were even more rewarding because I had so much backstory for them. It was exactly what I thought I'd never find again. So I am torn, do I take the original or do I take the innovator? At the end of the day I had to go with.

1. Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt -- Between the base game and the expansions I don't think I will ever encounter such a fulfilling experience again, but I felt the same way about Skyrim and Cyberpunk 2077 is right around the corner....

2. The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim -- While I loved Witcher 3 more, I don't think I will ever have a game that I spend as many hours playing ever again, partly because I don't have the free time I had when I was in my early 20s, but also because there was just so much to do.

3. Civilization 6 -- I could have said Civ 5, but I opted to go with the most recent game. It was the first real change and innovation in the game since Civ 3. Like every other Civ game it is just a matter of needing one more turn...

4. Star Craft 2: Wings of Liberty -- While I continue to play this game in its current incarnation, coming back to the Star Craft universe was something I'd always looked forward to since finishing Brood War soon after it's launch at the end of 1998. While it will never be as beloved as Brood War, the story told in Wing of Liberty was fantastic and something that I'd been hoping for since the end of the Terran Campaign in the original Star Craft.... then the next two games shat all over it.... but that's okay. I got my moment.

5. Destiny -- The first console game that pulled me off my PC for an extended period in the last ten years.

It's tough for me as a nintendo fan boy to not feel anything from the last ten years is in my top 5. So many good games, but nothing that gets over the top for me.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #24
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

1. Breath of the wild, ainec
2. Nier: automata
3. Dark souls
4. Dota2
5. Yakuza zero
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #25
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Updated again. Witcher 3 now just one point behind The Last of Us, while stone hands' vote has zelda catching up some lost ground
Old 01-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #26
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Prolly gonna try to get a copy of tlou based on the praise. From what people in this thread are saying it’s my reason for picking nier:a, a groundbreaking experience that pushes the medium forward. If it wasn’t for botw being my favourite game of all time it would be #1 with a bullet. Just a ridiculously amazing experience from start to finish
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:03 PM   #27
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Minecraft
3. Celeste
4. Journey
5. Diablo III

I took my list from the other thread and put them in some kind of order. I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 deserves to be up there as one of the best Mario games of all time, and Minecraft is something I still come back to and get addicted to for a while every year. I've played Celeste more than almost anything since it came out, and it's a staple when I'm traveling with my Switch. Journey is a fantastic experience that does so much and can mean so much in a short time. Diablo III, after it was changed up, is another great entry in the series and the gameplay is tons of fun.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:30 PM   #28
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
Prolly gonna try to get a copy of tlou based on the praise. From what people in this thread are saying it’s my reason for picking nier:a, a groundbreaking experience that pushes the medium forward. If it wasn’t for botw being my favourite game of all time it would be #1 with a bullet. Just a ridiculously amazing experience from start to finish
Having played both through to completion more than once, I'd say that, perhaps not surprisingly for Yoko Taro, Nier Automata is a much more daring game that just wasn't anywhere near as well executed. It's more of a cult hit, in the sense that it tries to break new ground and do a bunch of new and unexpected things, and it has its hits and misses. It's clearly unpolished and imperfect (with the exception of the combat, which is polished, and the music, which is perfect)... but it's more ambitious than probably any game this decade in thinking outside the box for its genre. It's a pretty different animal than TLOU in that sense.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 04:59 PM   #29
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Having played both through to completion more than once, I'd say that, perhaps not surprisingly for Yoko Taro, Nier Automata is a much more daring game that just wasn't anywhere near as well executed. It's more of a cult hit, in the sense that it tries to break new ground and do a bunch of new and unexpected things, and it has its hits and misses. It's clearly unpolished and imperfect (with the exception of the combat, which is polished, and the music, which is perfect)... but it's more ambitious than probably any game this decade in thinking outside the box for its genre. It's a pretty different animal than TLOU in that sense.
Yeah, I would have an issue trying to place Nier Automata in the top of the decade due to its issues, but it's still a fantastic game. If we ranked games solely on their soundtracks it would be near or at the top.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #30
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me there is a difference between soundtrack and game music. A great soundtrack is one with a bunch of identifiable pieces of music that you can listen to regardless of whether you're playing the game - Nobuo Uematsu, for example; there's a reason that there are actual concerts for Final Fantasy music. Great game music is where the music pairs well with the game while you're playing it, creates a great atmosphere, enhances the game experience and accentuates important moments. Nier:Automata has a good soundtrack, for sure, but it has probably the best game music of any game ever.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 05:09 PM   #31
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Rocket League - bizarre for me as a primarily single player action/adventure guy, but this game captured me like no other. 4.5 years on and I still go back to it. A masterclass in perfect and unique gameplay, endlessly compelling and fun. Rocket League is my favorite and most-played video game.

2. The Last of Us - Amazing story, visuals, performances, and gameplay. The defining game of the PS3 generation and action/adventure games in general.

3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - A fantastic open world action/RPG with a great story and characters, amazing soundtrack and visuals, and extensive content.

4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - A game that takes "open world" to heart, giving you a huge playground world to traverse and manipulate as you please. The player freedom allowed here is unparalleled in the genre.

5. Final Fantasy XIV - Specifically A Realm Reborn and onwards -- it is easily the best FF game in the modern era and captures the feel of the older games in the series. Great story and characters, fun mechanics, and a memorable presentation. It's my all time favorite MMO.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #32
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Skyrim
3. Divinity: Original Sin II
4. GTA V
5. Minecraft (Has there been any game with a bigger more lasting impact?)

HMs: Kerbal Space Program, both Super Mario and Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Portal 2, Celeste, Fallout: New Vegas, Bioshock Infinite
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 05:55 PM   #33
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Updated to here! The race is tight, photon's votes puts Zelda back ahead of The Witcher 3, but the top 3 spots all now only separated by a single point each! Rocket Leauge also quickly closing ground on GTAV, now only 2 points back to be tied and squeak onto the top 5 list for the first time

Last edited by btimbit; 01-14-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #34
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't think of 5, but I enjoyed Skyrim and am currently playing Divinity Original Sin 2 after playing all the previous Divinity games, and am really enjoying it.

Skyrim was awesome until end game when it became really unbalanced and you are practically invincible.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #35
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

1. Skyrim
2. Witcher 3
3. Divinity: OS2
4. Minecraft
5. Stardew Valley
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #36
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’m happy to see Divinity on here, I have both games but yet to play them, with an aging PC, I’m glad I’ll be able to enjoy a few games that should still run on it.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:05 PM   #37
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luder View Post
I’m happy to see Divinity on here, I have both games but yet to play them, with an aging PC, I’m glad I’ll be able to enjoy a few games that should still run on it.
I have a pretty crappy and aged computer and was surprised that Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 seem to play fine. I had them in my Steam librbary for a while but was hesitant to try them for the same reason, so I played the older Divine Divinity games first.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #38
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ours is actually one of the better lists I’ve seen so far. So many sites out there trying to be hip and trendy and picked a bunch of indie games while leaving off a lot of all time great stuff like Witcher and TLOU (I saw a top 50 list that had neither, like, come on).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 07:20 PM   #39
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I heard Transistor is amazing, got it on Steam, but haven’t played it yet either, came out in 2014
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:23 PM   #40
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Ours is actually one of the better lists I’ve seen so far. So many sites out there trying to be hip and trendy and picked a bunch of indie games while leaving off a lot of all time great stuff like Witcher and TLOU (I saw a top 50 list that had neither, like, come on).
I was actually looking for best movies of the decade and opened a few lists where the top ten was half marvel movies. Some people just have terrible taste.