Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #901
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I will die waiting for Telus to install goddamn fiber in our community. I'm 34, if that provides any indication of my confidence in Telus to get this done in anything like a timely fashion.
I had a long chat with a VP from Shaw about this just the other day. Basically, he laughed about it because it's never going to happen. Getting fibre into existing homes means digging up yards, which is a non-starter. Telus, like everyone, is waiting for 5G to take over.

He also told me that Shaw is testing 1gb down and 500mb up with current infrastructure and believes it will become a thing in 2020.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #902
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I had a long chat with a VP from Shaw about this just the other day. Basically, he laughed about it because it's never going to happen. Getting fibre into existing homes means digging up yards, which is a non-starter. Telus, like everyone, is waiting for 5G to take over.

He also told me that Shaw is testing 1gb down and 500mb up with current infrastructure and believes it will become a thing in 2020.
My MIL on the ridge in Stanley Park just had fiber run to her house. No yard-digging needed.

However, good luck getting it into the house; it's a 1950s-era bungalow renovated to the nines, but the utility room is stupidly in the middle of the finished basement. The only way you're getting fiber from the side of the house to the utility room is tearing out the ceiling, running the fiber line to the utility room, and re-finishing the ceiling.

IIRC, our home has fiber run to it, it's the neighbourhood utility box that doesn't have it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #903
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
We've been having a ton of issues out in Elbow Valley with Shaw. A couple of my neighbours are leaving to Telus, but we can only get 50 out here. If Telus could get to 150 in EV most of the neighbourhood would leave shaw. The thing is, they know they have us because of the Telus limitations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime View Post
It's the same here in Montgomery. I'd love to switch but Telus 50 is just a no go. They can't get fiber here soon enough.
I'm certainly not judging your internet needs, but wouldn't 50 be plenty for most homes? I say this as a fairly content Shaw 300 customer, with a kid who isn't a bandwidth hog quite yet. But 50 should be able to handle multiple simultaneous HD Netflix streams and then some. Even a single 4K stream should leave room for other stuff.

Of course that is if you can actually get the advertised speeds from Telus in the area, plus other variables. But when I think of my usage patterns, I don't know if I'd notice much of a difference if I dropped from 300 to 50 because most of that capacity goes unused for me.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #904
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Turns out that I'm on a price guarantee until November 2020. So that's nice. Last year I was finally able to break the cycle of complain > small loyalty discount > rate increase > complain > reduce services > etc.. I got a good retentions guy who was actually impressed that I was a customer since 2002 and gave me basically a "new customer" rate for 2 years. It saves me about $50/month, which is not chump change.
We've been with Shaw since around then too, and they kept offering paltry retention packages. "Oh, we can get you good savings if you renew right now" when I was in the other day to pay our bill. Um, no you can't. Plus, you only give the deals for 6 months. We walked into Telus yesterday & walked out with pretty much everything we had with Shaw and a $70 dollar savings/month, pricing guaranteed for 24 months, which is the same as the contract.

We really used to hate Telus, I'm still not 100% on them, but we ran into a really good rep at one of their corporate stores a few months ago, who did not try to bullpucky us into anything. Laid out all the phone plans, all the fees, told us which pkg would save us most & so on. So we went yesterday to talk with her about internet/cable & she worked hard with us to find us our pkg deal, told us sure, we could get the "free" tv but our bills would be higher by about $30/month - just really impressed with her. So, we switched. Bit of a wait to get them in, but it's fine. It's not a rush. It will be on the PureFibre, they were in our neighbourhood over the summer installing all the lines.

Last edited by Minnie; 01-13-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:32 PM   #905
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I will die waiting for Telus to install goddamn fiber in our community. I'm 34, if that provides any indication of my confidence in Telus to get this done in anything like a timely fashion.

Is there any kind of map that shows Telus' fibre coverage in Calgary? Can't find anything on their website other than inputting your address to see what plans are available, but even when I try throwing in random addresses across the city to figure out some kind of coverage map myself nothing ever shows as fibre ready
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:37 PM   #906
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's to stop someone from going into the Shaw retail store in Chinook and just returning the equipment and cancelling on the spot?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #907
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
What's to stop someone from going into the Shaw retail store in Chinook and just returning the equipment and cancelling on the spot?
I am pretty sure your only choice is to cancel through their 'convenient' call centre. You know there is no 'retention' dept at the retail store so how could they possibly cancel you there.....

Shaw couldn't give a s*** about their existing clients, they make you jump through hoops to cancel / renew contract in hope that you give up and just keep paying their inflated regular rates. It is all about Shaw when you cancel, so why make it easy.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:20 AM   #908
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We had shaw 300 and then the kids got older so we just upgraded to shaw 600 and no issues on bandwidth anymore.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #909
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Nothing, I don't think.

Saw an older lady do this at the Sunridge location last month. Walked in with the equipment, said I'm done, here's your stuff, cancel me. They appeared to be working with her, though at first they kept trying to upsell/keep her. She was very firm in her responses though, and I was having an inward giggle about it, she was fun to listen to.

They tried to upsell me when I paid last month, because our contract with them was up yesterday, but we wanted to talk to Telus first. The rep was very pushy, I finally gave her the stinkeye & asked what part of "I'm looking at all my options" was so hard to understand. Then she shut her trap and just processed my payment.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #910
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
They tried to upsell me when I paid last month, because our contract with them was up yesterday, but we wanted to talk to Telus first. The rep was very pushy, I finally gave her the stinkeye & asked what part of "I'm looking at all my options" was so hard to understand. Then she shut her trap and just processed my payment.
For some reason I thought of those annoying Questrade commercials. "Sorry Shaw, I can't afford to support ALL of your services!"
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #911
P-Rugby
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If I buy a shaw receiver off Kijiji am I able to add it to my current shaw TV plan?
Old 02-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #912
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Rugby View Post
If I buy a shaw receiver off Kijiji am I able to add it to my current shaw TV plan?
So long as there is no outstanding balance from the previous account associated with the receiver it should be fine.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #913
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It used to be the previous owner had to call Shaw and release the unit serial number from their account. You may want to confirm that still needs to be done, and if the person has done this. Otherwise they assume it is stolen and won't add it for you.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:55 AM   #914
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So, was it the VP's opinion that it won't FULLY be rolled out, or, never to homes that need the fibre upgrade? Because yeah, I can see it taking a long time to get all major centres updated.

But my house was a fibre upgrade from copper. What he literally laughed about never happening... if I read this right... happened here. And really everywhere through out Alberta and BC.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2020, 08:20 AM   #915
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
So, was it the VP's opinion that it won't FULLY be rolled out, or, never to homes that need the fibre upgrade? Because yeah, I can see it taking a long time to get all major centres updated.

But my house was a fibre upgrade from copper. What he literally laughed about never happening... if I read this right... happened here. And really everywhere through out Alberta and BC.
He was laughing at Telus trying to fool people into believing that they are going to pull fibre into every house in the city anytime soon. He said that it's either a logistical nightmare or horribly cost prohibitive. It was in the context of making fun of the 19 year old door-to-door Telus guy who tells people that fibre is coming "really soon".

He also talked about how 5G is a game changer and how the market will eventually move away from wires entirely.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #916
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had telus come to my door and offer internet/tv/security for $115. Too bad I was busy with bed time, I didn’t have time to chat so I have no idea what the details were.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #917
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone tried Airplaying the Shaw BlueCurve app from their phone to their AppleTV? Or doing Screen Mirror of the BlueCurve web app from a Mac to Apple TV?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #918
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Has anyone tried Airplaying the Shaw BlueCurve app from their phone to their AppleTV? Or doing Screen Mirror of the BlueCurve web app from a Mac to Apple TV?
screen mirror might work (with sucky performance), but airplay definitely doesn't. it's explicitly blocked for the Bluecurve app, presumably so you don't have one Shaw subscriber getting cable TV for all their friends like a netflix account.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:13 PM   #919
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tested out ScreenMirror tonight and it doesn’t work. Might have to try the lightning to HDMI adapter.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:46 PM   #920
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was laughing at Telus trying to fool people into believing that they are going to pull fibre into every house in the city anytime soon. He said that it's either a logistical nightmare or horribly cost prohibitive. It was in the context of making fun of the 19 year old door-to-door Telus guy who tells people that fibre is coming "really soon".

He also talked about how 5G is a game changer and how the market will eventually move away from wires entirely.
I guess if I was Shaw laughing is probably the best coping mechanism right now.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote