Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #781
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who's followed the game closely for 5 (loool) years now, I'll throw CIG a bone and posit that there actually wasn't really much feature creep or scope expansion relative to what the initial pitch was.

In reality, I just don't think Chris Roberts et al really understood what was required to pull off the game they had officially announced. I mean, nothing that's part of the what the game is supposed to be now is outside what they envisioned during the Kickstarter campaign. Even back in 2012 they were saying it would take 5-6 years to make a game of that size, but they've just made a whole boatload of poor, dumb, and greedy decisions since then that have ballooned development time and soured the community (outside of the general core of True Believers).

That said, I sold 3/5 of my ships when the grey market peaked in 2014, so I'm in the black and just waiting to see if I might get to play this in 2019 or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #782
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I give you all kinds of credit, at least you found a way to kind of hedge your bets, I know a lot of people that have gone from optimistic to jaded to outright anger who have spent a bunch of money on ships, and now they're just raggedly determined to take their losses.

But a lot of those guys are now at the point also where they've spent so much money that they're going to nit pick everything on the game when and if it gets finished and then really grouse if its not a 10 year gaming adventure.

I mean the only game that I've long term invested in is SWTOR and I was one of the original sign ups that went through the beta testing, and I still feel that I get pretty good value to it because the game has evolved and changed and had a lot of content added to it. I'm still at the point where I log in a couple of times a week, whether its to run flashpoints or play new story content, or just craft some boxes so I can furnish my new Strong hold on Manaan.

I've played all 8 character types, and some stories multiple times using different approaches.

But at the same time, at some point I know I'm probably going to stop paying for the game becasue it will inevitably become a challengless game

(right now my agent because of level balancing is nearly unkillable and wipes out gold enemies with 1 backstab and three slashes.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #783
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was kind of wondering if anyone was still involved in waiting for this game

Some updated news and info

Star Citizen offers a $27,000 high roller package that raises the ire of those players still waiting for the game after 6 years

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/30/17...us-pack-bundle

Player who demanded a $25,000 refund still waiting for his money and court fees

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/13/1...citizen-refund

Crytek suing over CIS's use of the Cryengine

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/13/1...engine-lawsuit

Quote:
In December 2016, CIG and RSI said they were moving off of CryEngine 3 in favor of Amazon’s Lumberyard product. But the complaint filed by Crytek says that’s not the case. Looking carefully at CIG and RSI’s own marketing materials, show lines of code on the screen that seem to indicate the games are running, at least partially, on CryEngine 3.

Making matters even more complicated is the fact that Amazon’s Lumberyard is, in fact, a fork of the CryEngine itself purchased by Amazon.

The lawsuit goes on to say that CIG and RSI improperly removed the CryEngine logo when the game boots up, and that the teams failed to properly disclose modifications to CryEngine 3 as part of their licensing agreement.

But the lawsuit doesn’t stop there. As we reported in 2016, CIG and RSI began selling two distinct gamesSquadron 42 and the Star Citizen Persistent Universe. Crytek says that since both use the same code, that constitutes using the engine twice and represents a further breach of contract.

Crytek is asking for direct damages, indirect damages and a permanent injunction to prevent CIG and RSI “from continuing to possess or use the Copyrighted Work.” That could mean poring over the code of an incredibly complex game

Squadron 42 the single player addon has had no release date update since 2016

Old 08-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #784
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Man I'm glad I only ever got the most basic ship. I think their entire marketing and messaging policy now revolves around the sunk cost fallacy.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #785
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm interested to see how it plays on an RTX 2080 next month, but other than "can it run Star Citizen?" being the new "can it run Crysis?", I'm still patiently waiting for the PU to launch in-full.

And by patiently, I mean I don't think about the game except when I go "what the hell is using up 75 GB on this hard drive? Oh. *delete*" and then re-install it 6 months later to see where the game is at, then promptly forget about it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #786
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I had a friend of mine who bought multiple ships and paid into the kickstarter and tried to get me in because I'm a huge Wing Commander/Privateer fan.

But it just seems like this company is better at creating advertising trailers and campaigns for raising money.

I remember seeing a video when V 3.0 came out and it was not only really uninspiring but it ran so slowly.

But that's always been one problem with Chris Robert's is his game imagination outstretches current technology. Wing Commander 1 and 2 needed high end PC's to run them, when 3 and 4 came out they needed ahead of the curve technology to run properly.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #787
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wanted to bump this, The other day I was wondering what ever happened to Star Citizen. One of the more controversial video game development stories out there.

When Cracked.com looks at it, its interesting.

https://www.cracked.com/blog/10-stor...oduction-ever/

Old 11-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #788
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.techspot.com/news/79953-...-most-288.html

Old 11-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #789
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still looks cool but I'll still wait for a beta
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #790
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wonder what the chances are that we actually see a Beta, It sounds like money is becoming an issue, a company that has collected hundreds of millions and has very little of it left is in big trouble, and its going to be harder to keep crowd funding.

I love Chris Roberts for his Wing Commander series, even though Prophesy was a bit of a mess graphically, and they dumped off on the story line in the second half.

But This is 11 years of development and used car selling going nowhere.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:51 PM   #791
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Another 8 years to beat DN4.

Holy frack I would have been satisfied with just an eve online experience strictly ship to ship, with some interesting story elements inbetween. With the addition of FPS gameplay, and the whole world space with mining/theivery/stealth/assault game play and the first 4 years of experimentation on universe simulation, and the insane amount of interaction with objects in the world, it's no wonder they've taken 7 years so far. Still not at Duke Nukem 4ever yet. (that was announced in 96, completed in 2011.) Diablo 3 has/had a longer development time and that released in 2012, not including the auction house shenanigans that were eliminated in 2014.

This is a 15 minute summary of the 2nd Citizen con 2949 keynote.

and if you have an hour:
Spoiler!

Last edited by Cliche; 11-25-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #792
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

*Sees the SC thread at the top*

*assumes a new ship came out*
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 09:18 PM   #793
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Even if the game ends up being a total failure, I am impressed at how much tech they've developed that we've never seen in games before. Hopefully some good things come from that if Star Citizen never becomes a cohesive product
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #794
Weirdness
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I actually got a corp invite the other day because my profile said I was based in Canada. I totally forgot about this game, I purchased my package waaaaay back in 2013. Decided I'd take the game alpha for a spin and see how much has been done in the past.... 7ish years?

The game performs like garbage on my computer, a 6-month old mid-range laptop. I'm not all that surprised, but I was hoping maybe I could get something close to 30 fps on min settings. Nope.

That's not the dealbreaker though, I kinda expected this.

See, I'm one of "those weirdos" who play FPS and space sims with inverted mouse. So using the fancy item 2.0, inner thought and any kiosk/MFD is an unholy pain because the mouse cursor is ALSO inverted! But using the fancy wrist-computer the mouse cursor moves as expected, no inversion. I'm just baffled.

This is a dealbreaker for me. I've tried switching to uninverted and I just can't, I get screwed up all the time looking the wrong way. I suppose I could go to the menu and change the invert mouse every time I needed to use a kiosk or MFD but.... I just don't want to, and I feel like I shouldn't have to either. I want to fight with other ships and blow them to bits, I don't want to fight with the game interface.

What's worse, apparently this has been an issue since alpha 3.0 came out something like around 2 years ago so.... I guess its not an easy fix? I can't imagine Chris Roberts any developer thinking that mouse down = pointer up is perfectly normal and expected behaviour so there must be some complex technical reason why this hasn't been fixed. I'm sure "inverties" like me are maybe 10% of the FPS gamer population, so I imagine the devs have more virtual spaceships to sell important bugs to fix, so I feel pretty SOL .

Maybe one day I'll fly around in my ($120USD ) space racer but it wont be today. I guess I'll give it another 7 years. See you in 2027 maybe beta will be out then, or maybe you'll be able to buy your own Death Star Battle Moon for $250K, we'll see
The Following User Says Thank You to Weirdness For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 12:04 AM   #795
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got a reasonably strong PC (2700X, 1080TI, good ram, ran the game on an SSD) and I gave it a go in November when they had a free fly event going on. Could barely hit 40 FPS on most planets and would usually be in the 23-30 fps range unless I was actually in space flying around then it would normalize to 60. Was playing it at 1440p. Lowering the resolution to 1080p had no effect on my FPS either which was weird, or even lowering settings. It's still in alpha I guess so I didn't get too upset at the low FPS I was getting.

But I did enjoy it for the couple days I messed around with it. There really isn't a lot to do in it yet, so I basically just spent a majority of my time exploring planets/moons and flying around, landing and walking around. Game looks gorgeous though.

I haven't and won't be spending anything on the game until it looks more like actual game. Also I believe they do complete server wipes every 2 or 3 months so that's an instant turn-off right there, but I do keep up to date on the patches/updates that it gets and hop into the game once every year or two to check things out during the free fly events.
BlAcKNoVa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #796
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlAcKNoVa View Post
I haven't and won't be spending anything on the game until it looks more like actual game. Also I believe they do complete server wipes every 2 or 3 months so that's an instant turn-off right there, but I do keep up to date on the patches/updates that it gets and hop into the game once every year or two to check things out during the free fly events.

That will never happen, said as someone who backed the Kickstarter from day 1. Roberts and co realized a long time ago that they can get far more money selling imaginary ships to people than they ever could by selling a full game, so that's where all the effort goes into. Star Citizen will go down as the most elaborate tech demo ever made, parts of it will be incorporated into other games but I've given up any hope of ever seeing a full game released under that name
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #797
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That will never happen, said as someone who backed the Kickstarter from day 1. Roberts and co realized a long time ago that they can get far more money selling imaginary ships to people than they ever could by selling a full game, so that's where all the effort goes into. Star Citizen will go down as the most elaborate tech demo ever made, parts of it will be incorporated into other games but I've given up any hope of ever seeing a full game released under that name

There were lots of rumors for a while that they were running fairly low on cash on this game and not just because of development costs. They are also in lawsuit Hell with Crytek over Squadron 42.

https://www.ccn.com/star-citizen-dev...woes-escalate/

I was a big fan of Chris Roberts, I was a huge fan of the Wing Commander franchise and always thought it was a shame they they never finished the Prophesy trilogy idea.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #798
Weirdness
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

tldr; Privateer still good despite age, disappointed in how Star Citizen developed over the years.

I found out Wing Commander: Privateer is $2 CAD on gog.com so I pulled the trigger to see if it still holds up after all these years. And - I'm fully aware that I have my nostalgia goggles on - my god it still does

I think the biggest thing is that although this game came out in 1993 it is incredibly immersive. Seemingly little things like chatter between NPC pilots, taunts from enemies, locations like the bars, guilds and ship dealers on the stations and planets, is enough to convince me that the Gemini Sector is a real place. Again, nostalgia goggles are firmly in place, but I believe this game hit a sweet spot when it came to immersion. Some other recent games have not.

Take Elite Dangerous for example. Now I respect the developers for 1) actually shipping a game and 2) for the incredibly massive galaxy they built, but the whole thing feels so lifeless and dull. You never get so much as a glimpse of any of the inner workings of the stations that you visit, there's barely any audible chatter while you're flying and just... everything feels dead. Granted, the original Elite was very much the same way, but I feel it's really due to the technical limitations of that era of computers and not a deliberate choice made by the developers. I still enjoy the game, but it doesn't quite scratch the same itch. It's missing those little touches that bring the world to life for me. Same thing with EvE Online, though I have waaaay more issues with that game that I'll not get into here.

Now with Star Citizen, I do remember reading/hearing somewhere that Chris Roberts said immersion was a top priority and he wanted to take it to the next level. But I feel like he and his development team have swung too far in the opposite direction, and I feel like it's really the driving force behind all this scope/feature creep that the game's development as been plagued with.

Sure, being able to physically walk around in the stations or planets will be pretty cool the first few times you visit a place, but eventually you'll want to be able to get from point A to point B without much hassle.

Sure, needing to eat, drink and use the bathroom is something a pilot would actually have to deal with but I know I will lose my mind if I get blown up in a space battle because I forgot to go pee before taking off

I guess what really made my interest die off was when the first person shooter component was announced. Again, very immersive and the thought of storming an enemy capital ship seems really cool.... in a different game. We're supposed to be pilots, not space marines. Why this needs to be a core component to the game instead of some sort of future spin-off/dlc is beyond me. I guess pilots in the 30th century are also very capable soldiers too. I'd be satisfied with just calling in a transport ship to board and capture a disabled craft (a la X-Wing/Tie Fighter), but maybe that's just me.

And sure, some of the large ships look really impressive. The mining ship has an insane level of detail, with stations all over the place for a group of players to pilot, mine, and... do other stuff i guess? The ship looks like it has a refinery station, so I guess one player has to push some buttons on a screen to smelt iron ore into iron bars? Again, quite immersive, but is that going to be any fun? Why can't a 30th century computer do it? You can buy pleasure craft or luxury variants of capital ships so you can.... hang out in a bar and drink with your friends? You can be the bartender too, how fun will that be? Why can't a 30th century robot do it?

Stuff like this will maybe add a couple points on the immersion scale, but likely takes hundreds (if not thousands) of hours to implement. The return on this kind of investment has diminished so much that its really not worth it. Of course, these ships raise a lot of funds when they sell it to some uber-dedicated whales, but now they're obligated to spend all that time and money on developing things that are of very limited value gameplay-wise. Yes, these environments can be used as levels for the first-person shooter game, but as I said before, that doesn't interest me very much, and is quite frankly outside of the initial pitch that was made originally.

When I backed this game in 2013 I was really only wanting/expecting an update to the privateer/freelancer games, with maybe a few new gameplay elements sprinkled in to push the envelope a bit. Instead we're (maybe) getting a big sandbox MMO with survival elements and pretty walkable spaceships where you can shoot people, all in the name of immersion. But what came before hit that sweet spot of being immersive without being overly tedious (and at a fraction of the production cost). I find it shocking that after all this time they haven't been able to release a Minimum Viable Product and then expand from there (the alphas do not count, they're too buggy and unstable to be considered "viable" IMO).

But hey, I can always go back to Privateer, Elite Dangerous is pretty fun despite my gripes, and if I'm really dedicated I can hunt down Freelancer and get it working on a modern machine. I just lament at what could have been. This is a game I was initially so excited for and it morphed into something fundamentally way different from what I pictured seven years ago. I'm sure there are other lesser known alternatives out there, maybe I'll find what I'm looking for in those titles.

Last edited by Weirdness; 01-25-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Weirdness is offline   Reply With Quote