Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #2001
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMileDJ View Post
The Peace Bridge being "nice" is debatable.
When both The Guardian and New York Times talk about how nice something is, I don't really think it's really debatable.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #2002
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMileDJ View Post
The Peace Bridge being "nice" is debatable.

Inexcusably expensive, yes.

Nice? Debatable.
Oh look, another resident expert bridge building estimator and critic. It's amazing how many of those live in Calgary. Even more coincidental is the number of them who never set foot downtown or walk anywhere.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #2003
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When both The Guardian and New York Times talk about how nice something is, I don't really think it's really debatable.

“You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”

Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 11-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #2004
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

All great thoughts are conceived by walking over beautiful pedestrian bridges.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #2005
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post

DURP! ... SHOULDA JUST BUILT A CONCRETE SLAB!
Like everything else up until then...
Old 11-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #2006
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
Liberal Media!!!
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #2007
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Long term plan:

I'm not sure what to think about the Barlow & 16th interchange. I've driven there a lot and I've never noticed it congested during peak times. Barlow is typically congested from 16th to Memorial because of all the lights.

The changes to 16th and 19th, and 16th and Deerfoot will be really good I think.
So wait, if I want to get onto NB 19th off WB 16th Ave I have to get off before Barlow and go through a set of lights? Why not just have a weave or whatever it's called between Barlow and 19th instead of that huge long road running parallel with 16th all the way from Barlow to 16th??

And I agree, I don't mind the Barlow & 16th as it is right now, is it a place with a lot of accidents because you have to pay more attention and accelerate to traffic properly?

Free flowing 16th under 19th will be good.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #2008
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one happens to have those old Crowchild Trail plans that came out for 2012?

Looking at the city website, they've been taking off, and the Crowchild Trail Study Page now says that a new Transportation Corridor Study Policy has been implemented and work has restarted on the Crowchild study.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #2009
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
Oh and this...

https://twitter.com/DruhFarrell/stat...67225252892673
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #2010
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I can't seem to find the chapter on unimaginative, utilitarian concrete slabs. Must have been a printing glitch.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #2011
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I've been bike commuting from Elbow Park lately, and boy do I miss my normal route of taking the nicely cleared Bow River paths/Riverwalk home.

I work on 3rd ave and 3rd st, and the only sane way out of downtown when the roads are really bad and I don't want to worry about slipping and falling under a car who is giving me 2ft of space is to go all the way west to the 7th st cycle track. That thing is awesome. Except it goes almost nowhere.

You hit 8th ave, and your back onto the road where the shoulder isn't cleared ever. Now you get to risk your life in the 8th street underpass, or walk your bike along the sidewalk, or try ride slow and piss off all the pedestrians.

Now what? Well, cutting back to 5th street would be nice, but the 10th ave bike lane is one way. Lame.

8th street is designated as a cycling route, but again, the shoulders are totally snow covered and you're risking your life of ending up under a bus.

On the days I decide to roll the dice and take 5th street all the way south, again, it's a "bike route" but the shoulders are covered in slush and snow to the point they are unrideable, so I'm forced over a whole lane, I'm sure pissing off all traffic. 5th street gets so narrow at one point there is only room for one car. You just kind of try take the lane and hope no one will buzz you.

Then it's onto the Elbow river path, which is a total disaster of packed snow and ice because it wasn't cleared for a few days and saw lots of foot traffic. You can rattle your teeth down that, and then the path ends. Again, you can ride on the sidewalk and piss everyone off, or cross the street with your bike and ride down Elbow Drive.

In the morning 2nd street was awesome before the snow. Nice wide shoulder with painted bikes to let people know I belong, but now covered in brown crud slush that will result in an instant 2 wheel drift if you try ride in it. So over into the tire ruts you go, pissing off all the cars.

I understand lots of this will get fixed when the cycling strategy gets rolled out, so my point of this little rant is:

1) We really need all the planned infrastructure. I can see why lots of people stop riding in winter as it is right now
2) Can we at least get the snow cleaned off of alleged bike routes in the meantime?
3) No wonder people always look at the 7th st cycle track and say "We don't need anymore of that stuff, no one uses it!". It's nearly useless. How was that the first one to be put in?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #2012
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you tried 10th Street down to 17th ave and then going to 8th Street through Mount Royal?

10th street is pretty decent.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #2013
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Have you tried 10th Street down to 17th ave and then going to 8th Street through Mount Royal?

10th street is pretty decent.
That's getting pretty far west from where I need to be, but good tip. No underpass.

That 8th street hill is a monster, and I bet it would be tough getting up in these conditions. I'm also working with a single speed as I found my 15 year old derailleurs didn't love winter anymore. I can barely get up 8th st in good conditions with my current gearing, I'm sure I'd be walking up it now, and praying I didn't die on the way down that hill to the T intersection on all the ice.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #2014
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seriously though, we have to do something about Deerfoot/Southland where it bottlenecks every day and the fact that trying to get onto Glenmore from Deerfoot is a disgrace.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #2015
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
That's getting pretty far west from where I need to be, but good tip. No underpass.

That 8th street hill is a monster, and I bet it would be tough getting up in these conditions. I'm also working with a single speed as I found my 15 year old derailleurs didn't love winter anymore. I can barely get up 8th st in good conditions with my current gearing, I'm sure I'd be walking up it now, and praying I didn't die on the way down that hill to the T intersection on all the ice.
The 8th street hill is brutal and I'm not sure how the handful of cyclists manage in the winter. I use to walk up and down that hill every day on my trek to the office.

Apparently, some residents are calling for a traffic circle to be installed at the bottom of the hill (8th street and Royal Ave) which would end up creating a serious gong show in the winter.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #2016
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Seriously though, we have to do something about Deerfoot/Southland where it bottlenecks every day and the fact that trying to get onto Glenmore from Deerfoot is a disgrace.
I agree (the bottleneck is actually at Anderson I think? and another at Glenmore [both places where it goes down to 2 lanes]).

The interchange at Glenmore won't be changed until Burnco is persuaded to sell its land.

Also, I think that Deerfoot is a Provincial matter, so there isn't much Bunk or SuperNenshi can do about it.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #2017
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I agree (the bottleneck is actually at Anderson I think? and another at Glenmore [both places where it goes down to 2 lanes]).

The interchange at Glenmore won't be changed until Burnco is persuaded to sell its land.

Also, I think that Deerfoot is a Provincial matter, so there isn't much Bunk or SuperNenshi can do about it.
The Glenmore/Deerfoot Meadows off ramp from Northbound Deerfoot it going to get someone killed very soon. The way traffic backs up isn't the worst part, (although it is ridiculous), it's the people that don't get over soon enough and literally stop on Deerfoot with their signal on trying to get into stopped traffic - it is seriously a fatality waiting to happen.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #2018
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The 8th street hill is brutal and I'm not sure how the handful of cyclists manage in the winter. I use to walk up and down that hill every day on my trek to the office.

Apparently, some residents are calling for a traffic circle to be installed at the bottom of the hill (8th street and Royal Ave) which would end up creating a serious gong show in the winter.
I had to drive that way last night and there were several people sliding down that hill that definitely would have plowed into the middle of a circle.

Even the circles where the ground is flat, they get pretty icy at each entrance from all the acceleration while cars are turning in.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #2019
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Doesn't even have to be an expensive fix, just something. Maybe lights, yield signs, i don't know, but something. Someone must have an idea that may work.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #2020
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Build another lane so deerfoot is 3 lanes all along.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple