Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #1041
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Okay, I can't figure this game out. Bought it around boxing day and been just playing against the AI on Pro level.

My last NHL game was like NHL 2007 before they used the right stick as stick control. Now I feel like I have no idea how to play. I get beat to everything, can't carry the puck, can't score and get scored on continuously.

Any tips for basically a complete newbie?
I'm pretty much in the same boat... my last NHL game was likely NHL 2007 or around there somewhere, and I played it on PC. The game used to be so much simpler back then, and it was just fun.

The jump from 2007 to NHL 13 on Xbox 360. I couldn't win a face-off to save my life, there's like 5 steps to winning a face-off, I had to switch to classic controls because using the right trigger to pass is not making any sense to me whatsoever. The NHL series became much more complicated since I last played it.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #1042
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
I'm pretty much in the same boat... my last NHL game was likely NHL 2007 or around there somewhere, and I played it on PC. The game used to be so much simpler back then, and it was just fun.

The jump from 2007 to NHL 13 on Xbox 360. I couldn't win a face-off to save my life, there's like 5 steps to winning a face-off, I had to switch to classic controls because using the right trigger to pass is not making any sense to me whatsoever. The NHL series became much more complicated since I last played it.
Have you done the tutorials?

I would really suggest them. There is one of passing, skating, shooting etc.

Go into a practice and play around, you'll get the hang of it pretty quick if you're not so worried about the opposition.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #1043
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has been a Zero on interest list this season. First time no one in my house bought a copy of NHL20?
I can likely get a cheap cheap used copy now.
AC3 has been keeping me busy.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #1044
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^If you do get a cheap copy, you should join the CP league... both are just about to start up season 2. I know at least the Xbox one has a few open teams and is looking for players.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AR_Six For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #1045
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just bought this from Future Shop online last week when they had it on for $20. So far, I think I'm liking it. It's still a little frustrating with some stupid goals (goalie throwing it into his own net, goalie letting a pass from the blueline go off his pad and in), but otherwise I think I'm liking it.

I play almost exclusively online though, so maybe that's why, as I don't get frustrated with the AI. My teammates are typically in better positions than they were in previous games, and I find it easier to cycle. I like that little guys can't run over Chara, but can typically skate around big guys if they are out of position.

I like that not every one timer is a goal. From what I've seen, the goalies aren't making miraculous saves every time, but maybe the new updates have reduced that. I like that if you poke check at the puck, you can knock it off the stick, but if you poke check at their feet, you're probably going to get a penalty. I also like that you can dig the puck out of the players feet when they have it up against the boards.

I also just played EASHL for the first time, and it can be kinda fun. It sucks when you first start out and your player is slow and clumsy, though.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #1046
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post
^If you do get a cheap copy, you should join the CP league... both are just about to start up season 2. I know at least the Xbox one has a few open teams and is looking for players.
K, so I just bought a a PS3 so that I would have a Blu-ray, and I got the one that came with NHL13. I suck at it but if there's a CP league I'd like to get in on it. What do I do?
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #1047
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^There are separate forums for Xbox and PS3 at the bottom of the main forum page.
The Following User Says Thank You to AR_Six For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #1048
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I must be blind. Where?
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #1049
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I must be blind. Where?
Here you are: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #1050
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

speede5 has contacted me, there are somewhere between 4-6 teams open in the PS league. If you join now, there are still some free agents available. PM me if interested.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #1051
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Meanwhile, the Xbox league hasn't started the FA period yet and I believe has about the same number of teams open. Message Realtor1 if you want in.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #1052
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got a favour to ask you guys. Looking for some feedback months after release.

How would you grade the skating in NHL 13? What issues do you have with it if any? How can it be improved to be more intuitive as well realistic?

What are you three biggest issues with the game?

And, if there is three things that's missing from the game currently that you would like to see, what are they?

Try to stick to three for each part if you can please. And thank you.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #1053
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post

How would you grade the skating in NHL 13? What issues do you have with it if any? How can it be improved to be more intuitive as well realistic? I like the skating, could be fine tuned a bit but overall very good.

What are you three biggest issues with the game? Penalties against the computer are still not called as often as they should even with sliders, AI needs to be worked on it's not as good as advertised, Physics can still be un-natural at times needs to be fine tuned.

And, if there is three things that's missing from the game currently that you would like to see, what are they? Online be a pro, more customization (create a player/team, equipment), That's all can think of now.

See bolded
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #1054
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
From what I've seen when I played for a few weeks

Quote:
How would you grade the skating in NHL 13? What issues do you have with it if any? How can it be improved to be more intuitive as well realistic?
I think the skating is very realistic, you can't turn on a dime like you could in previous versions, and not every player is able to basically sprint to the puck high speed. It would be nice to see more of a stride variable in there, some NHL skaters look like they're gliding because they have a long stride, some guys look choppy because they have a short stride. It would be nice to see some of the bad skaters represented that way.

Quote:
The monster closet, if your carrying the puck and your within 6 a body length of a opposing AI the puck is off of your stick and gone.

The AI still isn't great. When your carrying the puck, your team mates basically freeze and won't sprint to an opening until you release your pass. It would be nice to see players in constant movements.

The hitting system is still broken. There were too many times that my 6-6 220 99 skating 99 strength 99 hitting defense would hit some midget that was 5-11 193 and I would bounce off and go sprawling.

The goaltenders are way to good on the opposition side, and way to flaky on my team.

Quote:
And, if there is three things that's missing from the game currently that you would like to see, what are they?

I'm mainly a be a pro guy.

A few things that I noticed there.

I was looking forward to the demand a trade thing, but well into my second NHL season my number 1 drafted 6-6 250 pound super strong super fast high scoring defensive defense men couldn't be traded. It was like I was in the 7th circle of hell skating for the Oilers waiting for my contract to expire.

There's still no place where I can see my contract information, if I went back to the game I'd have no clue where my players contract was at.

In the stats history you can see the year to year stats, but not the team that you played for, it would be nice to be able to see my three years with the Oilers and my 5 years of dominance with the Flames. It would also be nice to see how many Stanley Cup rings I'd won in a easy way.

One thing that was really weird that I noticed. in my first year of NHL play I played 50 games and simmed 30 games.

In the played games I scored about 12 goals and 30 assists. In the simmed games I scored no goals and 3 assists. In the WHL I would accumulate points in simmed games but not the NHL.

Another weird thing, in my rookie season I decided to get sent down to the WHL, I simmed about 60 games with one of my players and even though I was continually warned and demoted the system refused to send my to the WHL.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #1055
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I love the skating, but I would like to see less times when I switch to a player in movement only to have him stop as soon as I select him.

1. The players don't try hard enough to stay onside. If you have the puck along the blue line the player (user controlled or cpu) does the standard movements which involve a gentle sweeping of the puck back and forth. This motion often brings the puck outside the zone and creates an offside. I'd prefer to see an area around the blueline where the player holds the puck along the line to keep it onside.

2. As a strategy I'd like to see the CPU take timeouts, and I'd like the animation of the timeout to return so you know when it's called. Too often it's the last 30 seconds, you're up by 1 and then the CPU puts out either a dead-tired top line or a well-rested group of grinders.

3. I'd like to see them really focus on the menu design. Count how many button presses it takes to get into a game in gm mode (spoiler: it's in the teens). Pay special attention to how many button presses are unnecessary (ex. when your game loads from a save it tells you that it loaded successfully, and you have to press a button to advance. Why?)

1. I'd like to see a hit strength modifier button (perhaps a trigger) that would allow users to throw the big hits, but with a degree of risk. Have a standard hit button or stick movement that keeps the arms/sticks/everything else down, but throw in a modifier button that makes the player give 100% into the check. The downside is that if you don't time the check properly or don't line it up precisely your player is more likely to toss out a knee or elbow to make a connection.

2. The Cup celebration just isn't as good as it used to. My personal favourite from a few years ago was the video that went player to player and showed their stats. I'd love to see something where the cup gets passed from player to player and the season and playoff stats display below them.

3. I'd like to see sliders for individual penalties, so you could raise interference to 100%, but tripping down to 30%.

Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #1056
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm an offline Be a GM player, so keep that in mind.

Depends. Without homebrewing realism, it's really bad. You can dance in and out of 4 defenders on a regular basis. If you edit the game to your liking, it's amazing. Slow players like Sarich get skated around, while having a quick first three steps actually helps. Occasionally lateral speed seems a bit off, but that's generally if you're attempting something crazy like circling the net at full speed.

1) Comeback AI. In the last minute of the game, all AI breakaways are goals if they're tied or down by 1 and there's a major improvement in all assets of their game play.
2) Be a GM AI. Still dumb as bricks
3) The interference the AI gets away with to keep up with you at higher difficulties. I once built a team of smurfs. Every time I wound up at the blue line, 3 players hit the ice, with no penalty called.

1) A good fighting engine. I haven't seen one for ages
2) Customizable goalie masks/arenas. I could see these being abused online, but just disable them for online play. Every year, they come out with beautiful new animations (this year no different - I play a more realistic setting of game, and only offline. At this level, the animations really stand out), but they can't bother adding in the ability to not have to wear some ugly default masks or play outside the EA Sports Arena
3) Re-introduce all the history of all players, just not last three years. It's memory intensive, but I really want to see Jarome Iginla's 600+ goals (he hasn't retired at 39 for me yet!) listed by season.

See bolded.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #1057
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have a few complaints.

1. AI is absolute garbage.

2. AI is dumber than a bag of sand.

3. Not sure if EA has ever watched a hockey game because the players are dumb as fata.

4. AI is terrible.

5. The poke check is insanely way too effective.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #1058
tknez16
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

100% offline Be A GM play. PS3.

I find that the skating is ok, but could use some tweaking. Sometimes, even the fastest skaters feel like they're skating through sand, while other times, they'll go from a standstill to 100% momentum in a split second and not be able to turn.

Also, players need to stop figure skating when turning corners. I find they often try to skate in a circle while facing the same direction when I just want them to turn. It's hard to explain without video...

Hitting physics are pretty bad. Too many guys breakdance after being hit, spinning on their heads or bouncing 10 feet in the air.

Most of my custom music stopped working in NHL13. I think it's the iTunes purchased stuff. Worked fine in NHL12.

Loading time. It takes about 5 minutes to get into a game between videos that can't be skipped quickly enough (intro takes 5-6 button presses to acknowledge I skipped it), time to log into the EA server (takes forever), overly complex menus, and save files taking about 1 minute to load (was super quick until NHL12) I can't play a game when I only have 30 minutes.

KHL. Would be nice to have the best non-NHLers available to move around.

Ability to download custom rosters or some easy way to make rosters on your computer then transfer them. There are always so many errors on rosters or ratings I disagree with.

Ability to manage your AHL team's contracts without signing everyone to an NHL contract.

Oh, and ratings that go from 1-100 rather than 50-99. They do it in Madden, why not in NHL?
tknez16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #1059
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

- I don't mind the new system however players that have explosive speed don't have as much punch when racing for a puck or on the breakaway. Perhaps an increased differentiation between a big slow D that has to switch skating backwards to forwards than a Forward going full bore without that transition. Maybe even a defenseman with bad skating specs to even fall/stumble?

- In almost any manner of playing style in the Offensive zone, it seems as though if your Winger passes to the Defenseman along the boards, the Dman will not be aware of the pass 85% of the time. Hurts most during powerplays as I haven't mastered getting plays into the slot just yet but it makes playing Umbrella and Shooting strategies useless.

-
Many have said it before but I'd like to see more customized arenas and atmosphere details suited to each city. I think it was beaten to death in the EA forum but National Team jerseys would be really great. I'm not sure if I'm the only one but is there a way to speed up the loading times with this game? Even things like loading game saves seem more and more unbearable with every new release. Is it possible to save portions of the disc to the hard drive like how Gran Tourismo allowed you to do?
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #1060
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I like it much better than NHL 12, however, as Bean suggests, I feel that the edge was taken off of it a bit to cater to people who were in shock from the change. I.e. there's no way I'm blowing by defensemen anymore just because I caught them flat-footed. They'll be able to catch me. I think this should be less forgiving and more punitive to people who take risks that don't pay off with pinching or holding up at the blue line, etc. This would be pretty easy and IIRC it was more like this at launch and has since been scaled back.

3. Defensive tools need to be balanced. There should not be one particular tool (the poke check, initially, though there has been some tweaking) that dwarfs all others in terms of effectiveness. Ideally, if I'm a good player, I should be using every one of the tools available to me at different points during a game. This isn't the case - you can be an insanely good player without ever using stick lift or pin-to-the-boards, for example.

2. Whatever tweaks need to be made to minimize the extent to which we have games in which one player clearly outplays another and loses because the goalie won't let anything in. I.e., if a guy outshoots the other guy 50-20, has double the time of possession and has a ton of scoring chances from the slot, he should win the game. In a lot of cases, you see the guy who's getting pummelled score on a weak shot from outside the slot or something and that's the game. Every once in a while, okay, but it happens far too often.

1. The main thing is the catch-up logic. It is at a point where the game determines who wins, not the players. Every playoff series seems to go 7 games, because if I get down in the series I know the next game I'll score 5 goals and my goalie will play lights out. The AI adjusts to try to make things closer than they are. That's incredibly irritating. Last season's xbox GM connected there was one playoff series that exemplified this.

Game 1: 6-1 for team A
Game 2: 3-0 for team B
Game 3: 3-2 for team A
Game 4: 3-0 for team B
Game 5: 2-1 for team A
Game 6: 6-0 for team B
Game 7: 7-3 for team A

In each game the AI goalie decided who won (even in the close ones the losing tender just let in a crap half-wrister from the blue line in OT). If you were down in the series it just became twice as easy to score goals.

I cannot say it any more simply than this: there is no point to playing this game if the AI is going to decide who wins.

Main feature to make GM connected better: the ability to play exhibition games or "friendlies" in GM connected. I.e. if I have a few games scheduled but those users aren't online, I can't play, but if another guy is online who isn't on my schedule I should be able to play him with my GM Connected team in just a random exhibition match that doesn't count for anything and is just for fun.

The ability to play an offline season or even just offline games with your GM connected team would also be nice.

Last edited by AR_Six; 01-11-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Tags
ea sports , nhl 13 , video game