Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #901
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Very common. Sometimes longer lol.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #902
LGA
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How are you guys setting your sliders for checking in off-line? It seems that whatever I use for sliders, the computers are apparently equivalent to a 7 tonne object and whatever player I'm using weighs about as much as a flea. I'm getting pretty sick of going to check someone and I go flying back, stumble and awkwardly fall while the guy I check hasn't even stopped at all.
LGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #903
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGA View Post
How are you guys setting your sliders for checking in off-line? It seems that whatever I use for sliders, the computers are apparently equivalent to a 7 tonne object and whatever player I'm using weighs about as much as a flea. I'm getting pretty sick of going to check someone and I go flying back, stumble and awkwardly fall while the guy I check hasn't even stopped at all.
I've quickly come to the realization that I don't suck at hitting in this game, but rather that the hitting in this game is fundamentally flawed through and through.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #904
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I've quickly come to the realization that I don't suck at hitting in this game, but rather that the hitting in this game is fundamentally flawed through and through.
Oh it's completely broken. Yesterday Iginla hit Sedin and Sedin started flapping on the ice like a fish, then he hit Iginla mid flap and Iginla started flapping like a fish on the ice for about 6 real time seconds.

Oh yeah and on Superstar it is near impossible to knock the computer off the puck. Then on the other hand, if they even nudge you, you go flying like Kesler.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #905
Metro Gnome
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Got the game recently and am working through Be A Pro mode. Or was, until I decided to stop playing today.

The teammate AI is just awful. Particularly my defensemen, who stand around, give the puck away in vital areas and drift into the skating lanes of others. They also back into the goalie when challenged and allow the puck carrier to curl into the slot pretty much every rush. In most of my games so far, they have been worst than useless.

My teammates can never seem to make a pass either. Half the time when I call for the puck, it's 2 feet too far behind or in front of my player, and it doesn't seem to matter how easy of a pass it was. Wingers frequently pass the puck in the defensive zone onto the stick of the opposition in the slot. They'll also ignore my player when he's wide open in certain circumstances and then pass it into his skates from two feet away.

The hitting is also bizarre.

Pretty unimpressed so far.
Metro Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #906
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Such a terrible game, but I can't stop playing because of my love for hockey games. I'm already on level 46 and I will say that 80% of my goals are almost identical. Come down the wing and drag the stick back a bit and go short side...works way too often and everyone does it so it forces you to use the same cheap moves.

I honestly feel like snapping this game in half and throwing it in the garbage. I hope someone comes out and rivals EA and makes a better hockey game.

And what is up with the loading times when a new screen is loading? Is this only a PS3 issue? EA issue? because my xbox360 was at least 5 times faster on loading times.

Hate the game, but I'm a sucker and will be first in line for NHL14.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #907
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iginla View Post
Such a terrible game, but I can't stop playing because of my love for hockey games. I'm already on level 46 and I will say that 80% of my goals are almost identical. Come down the wing and drag the stick back a bit and go short side...works way too often and everyone does it so it forces you to use the same cheap moves.

I honestly feel like snapping this game in half and throwing it in the garbage. I hope someone comes out and rivals EA and makes a better hockey game.

And what is up with the loading times when a new screen is loading? Is this only a PS3 issue? EA issue? because my xbox360 was at least 5 times faster on loading times.

Hate the game, but I'm a sucker and will be first in line for NHL14.
The menus are equally as terrible on the 360.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #908
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone notice the "Vote Barack Obama" ads on the boards?

Why don't Canadian companies have exclusive ad space on the game for Canadian gamers?
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #909
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre "monster" mcguire View Post
anyone notice the "vote barack obama" ads on the boards?

Why don't canadian companies have exclusive ad space on the game for canadian gamers?
brought to you by verizon!
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #910
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
The menus are equally as terrible on the 360.
So it's a NHL13 problem? I didn't have a problem with NHL12 at all. It's quite frustrating.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #911
Diverce
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iginla View Post
So it's a NHL13 problem? I didn't have a problem with NHL12 at all. It's quite frustrating.
Really, I thought 12 was worse.
Diverce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #912
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverce View Post
Really, I thought 12 was worse.
On PS3? I played NHL12 on Xbox and it had no problems at all with menu loading times. This is my first game I've played on ps3 and it's slow as hell. Maybe PS3 users are just used to such slow loading times?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #913
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Downloaded the new tuner set and finally managed to grind out a legit win on "pro" difficulty by embracing the dump & chase tactic fully.

As other's have mentioned the CP team seems to have abilities/moves that simply aren't available to us mortal via the controls, namely the "be near the puck carrier and simply skate away with the puck without any fight for it" and the uncanny ability to score clutch goals. It's almost to the point now where if the CP is down by one goal and get's a power play I'm 100% sure they'll score on the first shot.

Anyways on another note, if/when the season get's cancelled it'll be a damn shame we never got any NHL Moments Live from the 2012/13 season, it would be super cool to play a moment you had watched just a few weeks previously.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #914
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only play HUT offline, and have finished/won the first 2 tournaments...

the 3rd tournament (think it's called "Elite") is on superstar difficulty. I usually play all-star, but man, how do you succeed on superstar?!?!?

the computer makes tape to tape passed everytime, don't get knocked of the puck, and even if you are lucky to knock the puck off their stick with a hit/pokecheck, they don't suffer from skating mechanics that user controlled players do, so are always first to the puck!
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #915
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally finished a season as "The Good Guys"...played all the games. So, a few more comments.

I was surprised by how much player ratings jumped after having a good season. Somehow, Bouwmeester won every major trophy (Art Ross, Hart, Norris, etc.) and his rating jumped up to an 89. Pretty much every player on my team, apart from the fringe players, made large jumps in ratings. Bartschi went from a 72 to an 87, Cammy went from an 85 to an 89, Wideman went from an 82 to an 87, Sarich went from an 80 to an 86, Ramage went from a 68 to an 81 (had to create him and didn't give him a huge potential), Reinhart went from a 70-something to an 82, and Irving went from a 73 to an 87. Needless to say, player roles also changed. Have to say I'm pretty impressed how players who would have stayed the same or regressed in NHL 12 improved drastically because of their playing time and statistics.

The only bad thing is that Irving, having not played a game in the bigs all season, wanted $7.8 million over 2 years. Too bad that still hasn't been addressed. In some ways, it's actually gotten worse. In the first season, some team signed Gilbert Brule as a UFA for over 4 million per, despite his sub-80s rating and having a role as a 3rd line scorer.

Drafting was a nice surprise. I drafted twice in the top 20 and came out with 2 pretty decent prospects (Curtis Lazar @ #3 and Eric Roy @ #14). Even later picks have some trade value. I hate how, no matter what I do, my overall GM rep drops after going through the draft mini-game. What a failure of an idea.

Anyway, now I'm trying to unload some players and contracts to make room for these young guys. However, trying to trade away a player that doesn't meet a block requirement (or acquiring a player a team isn't willing to give up) is more challenging that it should be. If I give you an overwhelmingly great deal in terms of those ridiculous value bars, you should take it on principle alone. And if I offer fair value, or anywhere close to it, and the trade supposedly "boosts my rep" in my stats screen, then my overall rep SHOULDN'T DROP.

EDIT: More to the trading point...I should be allowed to trade as soon as my team is done in the playoffs, at least with any other team that is also out. If I can trade at the draft, why the hell can't I trade leading up to it and after it? Stupidly simple oversights that add up to kill the experience.

Still pretty frustrated with the bias in AI and game physics/mechanics between the user and the CPU, but I have to say that BAGM isn't totally worthless.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 10-12-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #916
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

team success has alot to do with progression this year and stats players put up as well in addition to playing time. sounds like you probably had two of the three if not all three
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #917
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last NHL game I bought was NHL '11.

But I still play NHL '10 more. I have a ridiculously long dynasty going where I've drafted, signed, and traded to make an incredibly strong franchise that has no reservations about trading away a higher priced, higher rated player because there's enough depth to rebuild the team in two seasons.

Maybe when I hit that magical ten-season limit (if it still exists) I'll move to the new version. But from what you guys are saying, it doesn't sound like NHL '13 will be the one I move to.

Although I have been playing a ton of this on MAME lately:
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #918
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Miikka Kiprusoff's season ending stats:

GAA - 1.24
Save % - .896

This should tell you all you really need to know about the "challenge" this game offers to its users.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 10-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #919
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Miikka Kiprusoff's season ending stats:

GAA - 1.24
Save % - .896

This should tell you all you really need to know about the "challenge" this game offers to its users.
That you win a lot, and limit CPU shots, but give up the odd goal within those shots?
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #920
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
That you win a lot, and limit CPU shots, but give up the odd goal within those shots?
Or that the CPU only generates 10-15 shots per game, despite sharing time spent in the offensive zone, and manages to somehow always score a lame goal or two. The bias and discrepancy in mechanics b/w user and CPU leads to some downright enraging moments. Sadly, this seems to be the only way the developers can program challenge into the game. They have either reached the limit of progressive AI or just don't know how to make it smarter.

Trust me, I would prefer the truth to be more in line with your assessment. Unfortunately, it's not.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 10-13-2012 at 08:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:

Tags
ea sports , nhl 13 , video game