Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Automotive Service

Does anyone have any tips for vehicle maintenance? I received the following recommendations from my latest inspection. Not that I don't trust their inspection or recommendations, I am looking for other opinions as these tasks add up quickly to $3,000.

Spoiler!
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is your steering bad / all messed up? Is that why you took it to the shop? I can't really comment on this as it is not a repair I'm familiar with. Its not something that should wear out typically (on relatively recent model year vehicle with regular use).

You can change your own air filter in about 5 minutes (and without getting your hands dirty) for about $15-20. Cabin air filter is at your discretion, as this just filters the air you breathe (usually an easy change also).

Unless the car is mangy, leaky or not well kept I would skip the diff services and transmission oil change. If the brakes feel ok (not soft/spongy) I would skip the flush and get it done the next time you are getting brakes serviced.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

What kind of car is it / what year? As far as an independent shop in town goes, I like Dale Adams Automotive.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fluid exchanges...........
Check your car manual for maintenance suggestions. That's the only thing you need to follow. I find a number of these "fluid exchanges" to be utter BS.

$80 to replace an air filter? Jesus Christ.....
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take it up to the Hamptons automotive service district.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i second what puckedoff said!

also...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Fluid exchanges...........
Check your car manual for maintenance suggestions. That's the only thing you need to follow. I find a number of these "fluid exchanges" to be utter BS.

$80 to replace an air filter? Jesus Christ.....
exactly!!!

go to napa (or amazon) and buy the air filter and change it yourself. i can do the one in my truck in under 10 minutes (most air filters are located in behind the glove box area).

go onto a car/truck forum for your vehicle and check out the "how to's" - you'd be amazed how a lot of stuff is pretty easy to do yourself and you can save yourself a bunch of $
Old 08-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

More like under 30 seconds for a cabin air filter, in most cars. I understand why people don't want to do their own fluids, though.

Obviously the big question there is the steering rack. Why would it need to be replaced? What happened? Those things typically don't just fail on their own.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 08-15-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Is your steering bad / all messed up? Is that why you took it to the shop? I can't really comment on this as it is not a repair I'm familiar with. Its not something that should wear out typically (on relatively recent model year vehicle with regular use).
I didn't notice anything prior to taking it in. The only reason for the appointment was an oil change and routine inspection. They said it was leaking so it need to be replaced to avoid other damage. But no, I didn't bring it in as a complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
You can change your own air filter in about 5 minutes (and without getting your hands dirty) for about $15-20. Cabin air filter is at your discretion, as this just filters the air you breathe (usually an easy change also).
Thanks good to know. I will definitely do those myself now that I know the parts are that cheap.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #9
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
What kind of car is it / what year? As far as an independent shop in town goes, I like Dale Adams Automotive.
This recommendation is from the Dealer service shop.

It's a 2014 Jeep GC Laredo. only 51,000 kms. I'll check out your suggestion.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #10
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I purchase air filters/cabin filters from RockAuto. Like $8 each after shipping. Comes in about a week.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #11
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
Yes, of course it is. All dealerships do this. It's a cash cow for them. As others have suggested, take it elsewhere and see what they suggest. I'm willing to bet you don't need a majority of that work.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #12
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post

It's a 2014 Jeep GC Laredo. only 51,000 kms. I'll check out your suggestion.
Uh, how is a failed steering rack on a 4 year old vehicle not covered under your warranty?!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #13
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Uh, how is a failed steering rack on a 4 year old vehicle not covered under your warranty?!
I bought it 5 years and 2 months ago.. Warranty is now over. Good lesson to take it in before each warranty period closes.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #14
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 Year warranty on most Chrysler / Fiat products...

I almost got burned a few years back when the Steering rack went on my 2011 Truck with only 37K Kms on it.

Service advisor told me that because the truck was over three years old ( by about 3 months) that it wasn't covered under warranty.

After exchanging some bad words with him and his manager they finally agreed to repair it under a "Good faith " warranty...

I really didn't care as long as it was fixed. saved me approx. $ 2300.00

I only had to cover the coast of an alignment after the rack was swapped.

Other than the steering rack everything looks an attempt to pad the bill.

Required or not, its just the recommended service for the vehicle at that age / mileage.

Personally I would change the filters myself, monitor the fluids and carry on...

Last edited by Nufy; 08-15-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Nufy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #15
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seriously, if it's two months out of warranty I would try to work something out with them. That's insane.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #16
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

is you steeering rack leaking fluid now? is the pump low?

as for the fluid exchanges - i am always torn on those, as they can be pricy, and the reality is always that you take your vehicle in and it is running fine, they swap fluids and you are out $1,000 and your vehicle is running fine versus fixing somehting that is broken.

i guess my thought is that if you are planning on keeping the unit for a while, get the fluids done. i will sometimes stretch those out over two service appointments to lessen the financial pain.

i will note that if you search the net, you will likely find an equal number of pros/cons with resepct to the fluid swap.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #17
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Probably a coincidence as I have a 2010 Acura ZDX, but my last visit to Acura I also was notified of a leaking power steering rack that requires replacement, then realignment.If I don't do it, the risk is pump running dry, then I have bigger problems.

A friend told me just to monitor it. Torn as well.

Ugh - love/hate relationship with vehicles. Bikes are so much easier!
Old 08-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #18
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
is you steeering rack leaking fluid now? is the pump low?
It's not dripping or creating a pool or anything. But I was told it is "leaking". I will shop around and get a second opinion and quotes. I live near the Montgomery Auto Service and Parkdale Auto Service. I am going ask them about it and their quote. Both shops have good Google reviews with the Parkdale shop sounding slightly higher priced.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #19
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I have a game plan thanks to your comments. Going to do the filters myself when I find some time. I'll sit on the fluid exchanges for now but keep a note about it for next service.

Also, going to shop around for the Steering Rack job because I don't want it to create more problems down the road.

The plan is to drive this unit into the ground well into the future if it holds up!
Old 08-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #20
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Since you’re taking it to another shop, it might be wise to just have them do an inspection on it without knowing what the dealership told you. Removes any bias and you can always specifically bring up the steering rack when you go to pick it up.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post: