Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #21
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The idea that equipment set up has never been questioned, it's been mentioned several times already. And yes, I have a degree in Physics so I understand friction.

As you noted in the article, which has been said hundreds of times, set up is one of the three most important things to a successful run.
Good teams sometimes lose, some weeks they just don't have it right. Track conditions, ice temperature, ice hardness, humidity etc etc all factor in. That's no different in PyeongChang than it is for the other 12 bob and luge tracks in the world. Also think of experience on the track.

What is being questioned is your continued insistence that Canada has some kind of second hand, crappy sled which can't compete against superior German tech. And your insistence that Humphries "outdrove the field".

Of course your argument negates the fact that Humphries wins against those same German sleds on the World Cup, she bested two other German teams in the Olympic Games and that Jamanka isn't even the top German pilot.

Sam Edney in luge has been ranked in the mid 20s this entire season and finds his way to a 6th place. Did he suddenly get a magic sled or maybe he just relied on his experience and had a good week.

Hey I get it. The other two previous times you've watched Bobsleigh you saw Humphries win a gold medal and you thought it would happen again. But it just isn't as easy as that.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #22
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
What is being questioned is your continued insistence that Canada has some kind of second hand, crappy sled which can't compete against superior German tech.
This is a strawman. Our gear is obviously close enough that we can beat them, sometimes (though maybe not in four man). But they seem to have an edge, such that when their athletes perform close enough to ours, they win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd
And your insistence that Humphries "outdrove the field".
That's what Upperton said and I didn't see anything to cause me to disagree.

Last edited by SebC; 02-26-2018 at 10:14 AM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #23
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And Upperton has an obvious bias.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #24
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

CoR, any idea what the Paralympic coverage will be like on TV? CBC's Olympic website has nothing about the Paralympics on it, and the Paralympic specific website has nothing new to show. I had to go the official Paralympic site to even find a schedule for anything!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #25
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bring on Calgary 2026.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:54 PM   #26
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
CoR, any idea what the Paralympic coverage will be like on TV? CBC's Olympic website has nothing about the Paralympics on it, and the Paralympic specific website has nothing new to show. I had to go the official Paralympic site to even find a schedule for anything!
it usually is very minimal, maybe a hour or 2 late night and long afternoon and evening segments on the weekends. Everything event should be online though.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #27
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
The equipment deficit is a reality, the Germans spends millions on sled technology and have engineers from BMW and Mercedes working on ways to improve the sleds. Its all top secret and hush-hush as well.
I believe Porsche was doing it for years as well.

Maybe Bombardier could step up being a jet/high speed train manufacturer and all.

It's not like they haven't bilked tax payers of hundreds of millions. The least they could do is give something back to Canada.

Last edited by pylon; 02-26-2018 at 05:08 PM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #28
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Bring on Calgary 2026.
God I hope not.

4 billion dollars for two weeks of sports everyone will forget in a month, a huge chunk of which won't even be played here?

Guarantee a new NHL calibre arena gets built in the deal, and then maybe it's palatable. Even then it's a money pit to pad Nenshi's ego and put a feather in his cap. Nothing more. The hypocrisy of chasing what will without a doubt be a giant money pit for the city and tax payers, while still stonewalling the Flames which have a true economic and intangible benefit to the city is disgusting.

I hope this goes to a public vote so this thing gets blitzed into oblivion.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #29
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I’m not positive what exactly the schedule will be like but I did hear on a CBC broadcast that they would have more hours of live broadcasts than ever before, as well as full streaming coverage. Hopefully they put out a schedule soon
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2018, 07:36 AM   #30
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Bring on Calgary 2026.
ugh, please no......i find it irritating that it takes $30 million just to bid, and based on rumblings it seems there are very few other interested cities.

as for the NHL'rs returning to the olympics, i am thinking that either happens by way of negotiating it into the CBA or if the games return to north america.

to me it does not make a lots of sense for the NHL to go to places in asia where there is limited interest in the game regardless of who is playing.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:02 PM   #31
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
ugh, please no......i find it irritating that it takes $30 million just to bid, and based on rumblings it seems there are very few other interested cities.

to me it does not make a lots of sense for the NHL to go to places in asia where there is limited interest in the game regardless of who is playing.
WOW...didn't know that. So if we don't win the bid, it's down the toilet?

I'm with pylon, if they build a new arena then I'm ok with it. But then, I also hate it that it will add a feather in Nenshi's cap, this irritates me more than the $30 millions.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:34 AM   #32
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's not mayor in 2026 though so the mayor getting the acolades won't be him despite that being a terrible reason to be against something.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #33
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
He's not mayor in 2026 though so the mayor getting the acolades won't be him despite that being a terrible reason to be against something.
Technically, he could be.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #34
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hockey and curling are what I care about most at the Olympics. If the NHL isn't going to Beijing, it's up to Hockey Canada to figure out how to ice a better team than the one they did at these games. On the womens side I don't know what improvements can be made as the US just seemed more determined to win than our women were.

As for curling, Koe and Homan just couldn't quite seem to figure the ice out. Homan in particular has some head-scratching misses on relatively easy shots. Not sure what the remedy here is other than to hope for better ice in Beijing?

Also, I wonder how Canada will do in ice dancing. There is no truly replacing Virtue and Moir, but hopefully another pair can step up to the plate.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:00 AM   #35
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
WOW...didn't know that. So if we don't win the bid, it's down the toilet?

I'm with pylon, if they build a new arena then I'm ok with it. But then, I also hate it that it will add a feather in Nenshi's cap, this irritates me more than the $30 millions.
based on what I have read, the losing city is out the money. and to be honest, I am not sure what the money is spent on. does the ioc get some fee just to have cities bid, or is the $30 million number, represent the time and effort of groups representing all of the stakeholders in preparing a formal bid.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:43 PM   #36
jlemire
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Hockey and curling are what I care about most at the Olympics. If the NHL isn't going to Beijing, it's up to Hockey Canada to figure out how to ice a better team than the one they did at these games. On the womens side I don't know what improvements can be made as the US just seemed more determined to win than our women were.

As for curling, Koe and Homan just couldn't quite seem to figure the ice out. Homan in particular has some head-scratching misses on relatively easy shots. Not sure what the remedy here is other than to hope for better ice in Beijing?

Also, I wonder how Canada will do in ice dancing. There is no truly replacing Virtue and Moir, but hopefully another pair can step up to the plate.

This whole terrible team argument has frustrated me since the games ended. I thought Team Canada looked good played their A$$es off and aside from the first 2 periods of the German game showed they were the best team in the Tournament (OAR looked god Awful in the 1st game and should have lost the Gold medal game too) Lets not forget WITH NHLers Canada has failed to Medal in 40% of the games
jlemire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #37
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post

I don't agree about the hockey, the Russians had a baked in advantage sanctioned by the IOC. As to the German team, its a shame they could not ride their luck all the way but this tournament was up there in significance with the Novice 11 Esso Cup competition(no disrespect to those kids intended). As to the women, the US probably had one coming and Canada is in transition to a younger team.

Curling, well it was kind of about time they got spanked and we need to go back to ruthless players like Jacobs and Jones who only care about winning. These two teams seemed just happy to be there, in particular Homan's team commented that this pressure, attention was "way beyond anything they had faced before". Perhaps stay off social media or learn to deal with it.

Ice Dancing, well there only one Virtue and Moir, they cannot be replaced. To me what they did tops the English Ice dancing pair Torville and Dean. Legendary and one of a kind.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 03-01-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:43 PM   #38
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Technically, he could be.
Sorry but....