Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck Hockey League
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2018, 11:02 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Icon35 BLOCKBUSTER. Islanders and Panthers combine for a seven-player deal!

Well, this didn't take long.

The New York Islanders and the Florida Panthers tonight agreed to a massive, nine-piece blockbuster trade aimed at both filling the Islanders' roster and clearing salary for the Panthers.

The deal sees the Islanders acquire forwards Patric Hornqvist, Micheal Ferland, Jakob Silverberg, and Tyler Ennis, as well as defenseman Andrej Sustr, in exchange for forwards Jordan Eberle and Adam Lowry. The Islanders have also agreed to trade their first-round pick in 2020 to Florida in exchange for a conditional third-round pick, which the Islanders will receive in either 2019 or 2020 (Florida chooses) if none of the players they acquired record either 30 goals or 60 points in the 2018-19 CPHL season. Finally, the Islanders receive $3 million in cash as well for the 2018-19 season.

The New York Islanders are a work in progress still. We are in need of centres and defensemen. Everyone in the AHL is available. Same with the ECHL.

Thanks to SuperMatt18 for the negotiations.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 11:15 PM   #2
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the great deal Scorp - took pretty much all day to come to agreement on the pieces but in the end think we aligned to something that worked out for both teams.

From my perspective the trade broke down as follows:

Hornqvist (72)
Ferland (70)
$1.5M cap for 2019

for

Eberle (73)
Lowry (69)

In the first half of this deal the overall ratings of all players involved equals out and the Panthers include cap to cover the difference in salary between Eberle and Hornqvist. Personally am a fan of Lowry and think there is a lot of potential there, he is already a good defensive center and showed that he may have some extra offense in him by putting up 21 points in the 45 GP this last season at the NHL level. With Eberle I get a player who is a few years younger than Hornqvist and who has 3 years remaining on a decent cap value contract.

Then there is the cap saving portion of the deal for the Panthers.

Silfverberg (70) - $3.5M
Ennis (66) - $1.25M
Sustr (65) - $0.75M
$1.5M Cap Hit

for

2020 1st Round Pick

The Panthers added cap to this part of the deal to make Silfverberg and Ennis cost what the minimum 1 year RFA cost for them would have been per the current RFA grid and their current rankings.

Plus then I'm throwing in the conditional 2019 3rd since I was getting Eberle who was the best player in the deal and since I was still saving $4M of cap overall.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this deal. Ennis and Sustr were both on the Panthers AHL roster last season and I almost didn't re-sign them when determining what RFAs I was going to re-sign in the offseason - happy that I was able to get something of value for them and help Scorp fill out his roster at the NHL level. Silfverberg was acquired in a deal for Ceci (admittedly didn't think Ceci would re-rate to 73 but this game seems to love defensive d-men) and I am happy to be able to turn Ceci into what is now a 2020 1st round pick that has no protections on it.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-19-2018 at 11:29 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post: