Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Contests, Drafts, Trivia and Images
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2008, 09:03 PM   #21
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

This draft is going to be interesting... So far, the 3 picks, while all obviously worthy, wouldn't even have been on my radar. Just shows you how truly subjective the medium is, and thus how interesting the draft will be.

I've always wanted to get into The Shield, but now with 6(?) seasons to slog through, it's a daunting task.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:05 PM   #22
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamenator View Post
This draft is going to be interesting... So far, the 3 picks, while all obviously worthy, wouldn't even have been on my radar. Just shows you how truly subjective the medium is, and thus how interesting the draft will be.

I've always wanted to get into The Shield, but now with 6(?) seasons to slog through, it's a daunting task.
7 now....but this is the final season.

It would be a project, but well worth it.

I've got similar series I'd like to do that with.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:11 PM   #23
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excellent pick with the Shield. Greatest show ever? It's right up there IMO.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:53 AM   #24
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm a big fan of MASH as well, one of the few shows where they managed to keep it hilarious for all those seasons, and where they managed to replace an awesome character with a character equally awesome (Charles for Frank for example).

Never heard of Fawlty towers and never watched Shield thought.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:07 AM   #25
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
With the 3rd pick in the Calgarypuck.com TV draft I am proud to select in the category of Crime/Law, The Shield.
Boo, I was hoping somehow this could fall until next round. At least I got M*A*S*H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamenator View Post
As said before, it's now 7 seasons. You gotta do it, best show currently on TV.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #26
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Of Liberty View Post

Never heard of Fawlty towers.
Sacrilege! Fawlty Towers is pure genius. I'm not surprised though that some people haven't heard of it, especially over here. Like I said it only ran for 2 seasons and a British season is only typically 6 episodes. I hope you give it a try though as anyone with even a slight funny bone should enjoy the show tremendously.

You might end up getting a bit of a British TV education in this draft, Liberty!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #27
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
Sacrilege! Fawlty Towers is pure genius. I'm not surprised though that some people haven't heard of it, especially over here. Like I said it only ran for 2 seasons and a British season is only typically 6 episodes. I hope you give it a try though as anyone with even a slight funny bone should enjoy the show tremendously.

You might end up getting a bit of a British TV education in this draft, Liberty!
I used to watch reruns of it when I lived in England...never heard of it until I went over there though.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #28
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Muta has dropped out.

Prottotype and Pagal had expressed interest. Either of you want to take over?
First come first serve

Last edited by GirlySports; 11-01-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #29
Prototype

Exp:

Deal!
Old 11-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #30
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Cool! You take the 21st spot now.

Flames_SJ's been AK'd. Must be having more fun than we are this weekend

Old 11-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #31
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Woohoo! I've already moved up one spot in the draft!
Old 11-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #32
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

So is there a way that we can determine which shows can fit into what category. I can already see some complications with some choices, nothing that has been picked yet but with some that I am looking at.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #33
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alright, so with my first round, 4th overall pick, team Vanderlay Industries is happy to select in the Sci-Fi category...The X-Files.

In this aliens-among-us mystery, sci-fi writer and surfer Chris Carter melded '60s don't-trust-the-Man paranoia with '90s black-helicopter paranoia. FBI agent Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) was his own biggest x-file, pursuing a conspiracy that involved the alien abduction of his sister. Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) was his rational foil, doubting his outlandish theories even after she experienced a disappearance-and-implantation episode herself. Mulder and Scully also solved standalone paranormal cases, but the the big draw of the show was its baroque mystery—as well as its comic relief and Mulder and Scully's nerdy sexual tension—and the show petered out after Duchovny jumped ship. But for years this conspiracist gem drilled into our reserves of horror and mistrust, and struck black oil.

Last edited by sadora; 11-01-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #34
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
So is there a way that we can determine which shows can fit into what category. I can already see some complications with some choices, nothing that has been picked yet but with some that I am looking at.
I'd assume it's like the hottie draft, where you can fit shows into various categories. A show can only be picked once, and the drafter can chose the category, and is able to change the category if he/she so chooses.

I'm doing up my draft list now, and have several shows in various positions. Think of it as versatility. When drafting a Jim Vandermeer he can be either forward or defence. Same idea with the shows they can be either comedy or Canadian.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 11-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #35
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
We'll go with imdb.com

Old 11-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #36
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

Ugh, damn you Sadora for taking the X-Files. Not cool.

One of my absolute favourites.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #37
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
Ugh, damn you Sadora for taking the X-Files. Not cool.

One of my absolute favourites.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #38
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Shows can fit into more than one category and it's up to the person who picks it to put it into an appropriate category.

Drama is a pretty broad category and I think pretty much anything picked in that category could also likely fit into at least one other category. You can have crime/legal and medical shows that are also soap/serials.

Of the few that have been picked already, The X-Files could also be in crime/legal; Fawlty Towers could fit into World.

The only categories that I think might need clarification are Game Show vs Reality Elimination.

To me, the difference is that Reality Elimination has a single cast for a season, with one (or more) contestant or team being eliminated at the end of each episode until one winner remains and the season ends. On the other hand, a Game Show has one or more contestant competing in a "game" where a single winner is declared at the end of the game (which usually lasts only one episode, or may start part way through one episode, ending during the next). At the end of a game, the winner is declared, and depending on the style of game, may be invited back to keep playing.

Basically, if there are many contestants to start the season, and one champion at the end of the season, it's Reality Elimination. If there are multiple contestants introduced throughout the season and multiple winners by the end of the season, it's a Game Show.

Meanwhile, Reality Ongoing doesn't have any competition involved. If a participant is given something at the end of an episode, it doesn't require them to have "won" anything.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #39
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadora View Post

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

You've made a powerful enemy today.

(The ninja emoticon seemed fitting for this post, I thought)
Old 11-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #40
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

"In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime, and the district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders.

These are their stories."

With the 4th overall selection in the CP TV Show Draft, The Channel Surfers select, in the Crime/Law category, Law & Order.

Sorry for taking so long; this thread didn't even exist before I left last night. Amazing what you can miss in 24 hours!