Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Contests, Drafts, Trivia and Images
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #281
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I didn't think Roseanne would get picked. I loved that show! I wanted to marry Dan.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #282
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

With our third selection in the 2008 Calgary Puck Television Draft, we here at the Patterson Corporation are please to select for our lineup on our new channel MQS-TV, a reality show that brought our favorite songs back to us, being sung by hopeful superstars. Starting in 2001 and still being aired today, staring judges cheerleader turned choreographer turned recording artist Paula Abdul, record producer Randy Jackson, music industry executive Simon Cowell, and in its eighth season adding multi-Grammy award nominee Kara DioGuardi, having contestants go on to receive 21 Grammy nominations with 5 wins, and 27 American Music Award nominations with 12 wins. Due to the nature of the category, and what our executives believe to be one of the more difficult categories to draft, filling our Reality (Elimination)* slot, we here at MQS-TV humbly select from Twenty-First Century Fox, American Idol.

*line-up slot subject to change.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 11-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #283
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
With our third selection in the 2008 Calgary Puck Television Draft, we here at the Patterson Corporation are please to select for our lineup on our new channel MQS-TV, a reality show that brought our favorite songs back to us, being sung by hopeful superstars. Starting in 2001 and still being aired today, staring judges cheerleader turned choreographer turned recording artist Paula Abdul, record producer Randy Jackson, music industry executive Simon Cowell, and in its eighth season adding multi-Grammy award nominee Kara DioGuardi, having contestants go on to receive 21 Grammy nominations with 5 wins, and 27 American Music Award nominations with 12 wins. Due to the nature of the category, and what our executives believe to be one of the more difficult categories to draft, filling our Reality (Elimination)* slot, we here at MQS-TV humbly select from Twenty-First Century Fox, American Idol.

*line-up slot subject to change.
My 2 favourite songs from this years show.

David Cook - Billie Jean

David Cook - Music Of The Night

Old 11-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #284
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

^^I hated that guy, David Cook. Ugh. I saw one of his performances on the show where it just seemed so calculated, everything he did it was like you could see his thought process, "Well, this rockstar does this, so will I. This rockstar does that, so will I." He stood with his hand pointed in the air at one point, he wrote 'Give Back' on his hand and put it into the camera. All ridiculous and contrived.

Found it:

I agreed with Simon, pompous.

Ok, so who is up? Let's keep this going strong.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #285
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
^^I hated that guy, David Cook. Ugh. I saw one of his performances on the show where it just seemed so calculated, everything he did it was like you could see his thought process, "Well, this rockstar does this, so will I. This rockstar does that, so will I." He stood with his hand pointed in the air at one point, he wrote 'Give Back' on his hand and put it into the camera. All ridiculous and contrived.

Found it:

I agreed with Simon, pompous.

Ok, so who is up? Let's keep this going strong.
I could go postal on Jason Castro for basicly quitting on the competition with his sad sack efforts on his last songs. His lame excuses that it was too tough to learn more than one song was lame and Cowell roasted him for that.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #286
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I didn't watch it enough to even know which guy that was, to be honest. I used to watch the show, but I just find Paula, Randy and Simon to be ridiculously irritating and predictable. I find the contestants are increasingly picked because of looks or personality, instead of voice talents. I only watched snippets of it this past season, the above clip I posted was one of the performances I saw of David Cook and it was awful.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #287
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't watch it enough to even know which guy that was, to be honest. I used to watch the show, but I just find Paula, Randy and Simon to be ridiculously irritating and predictable. I find the contestants are increasingly picked because of looks or personality, instead of voice talents. I only watched snippets of it this past season, the above clip I posted was one of the performances I saw of David Cook and it was awful.
This is Jason...

Paula, yes, she is useless with her comments. They add little or nothing in constructive advice or critcism.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #288
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
This is Jason...

Paula, yes, she is useless with her comments. They add little or nothing in constructive advice or critcism.
Ah, that guy.

It's not just Paula with useless comments though, hers are definitely nonsensical, but Randy and even Simon hand out the same crud over and over. Simon likens someone to a cruise ship singer, and Randy talks about the dog pound and how he was or wasn't feeling it. It's just tired, but I will admit to watching every once in awhile.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #289
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Ah, that guy.

It's not just Paula with useless comments though, hers are definitely nonsensical, but Randy and even Simon hand out the same crud over and over. Simon likens someone to a cruise ship singer, and Randy talks about the dog pound and how he was or wasn't feeling it. It's just tired, but I will admit to watching every once in awhile.
Ohhhh i agree that the "dog pound" or the "yo dog" coments from Randy get tiresome. Simon on the other hand can be an a-hole with some of his comments - hurtful and demeaning. That said i do think they do a good job of selecting talent with one acception however. Carly Smithson already had a recording contract at one time in her life. Too me it's a tad unfair to the other contestants. While i liked her voice i'm glad she didn't win as that would have made a mockery of the whole show.

It's the Canadian version i take acception too. The talent is garbage and claerly there had to have been better than what they picked.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #290
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

With our 4th pick, The Upper Trash is proud to select... in the Reality (Elimination) category...

Hell's Kitchen!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #291
Ro
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow, didn't expect to log on and see this just as my pick was up! I'll have it up right away...
Old 11-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #292
Ro
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Mustard Inspectors select with their 3rd round pick, in the World category:

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Somewhat surprised it's lasted this long, I have no choice but to fill what I find to be a rather thin category (or at least one I'm not as familiar with) with the greatest sketch comedy show of all time. I'm not going to, as there have been a couple threads on the Pythons before here on CPuck, but I could put up dozens of Youtube videos of stuff from this show, and it was funny then, funny now, and will be funny forever. Only 45 episodes were made, but that was more than enough to make this troupe famous the world over, and successfully transitioned them into feature films. From Time Magazine:

Quote:
If not for the efforts of five Britons (and one American animator), paid for by the BBC and imported by PBS, nerds the world over would still have to impress each other by quoting the periodic table of the elements. Python made erudition cool by tearing out the final stones in the Hadrian's wall between high and low culture, showing that Sartre references and "botty" jokes could live together in hilarious sin. The show's droll, Dadaist sketches—I won't try to list them, but your brother or nephew in college will be glad to—hold up so well decades later because they focus on the timeless: philosophy, the class system and, of course, the eternal issue of transvestitism in the lumber industry.
It's an honor to add Terry Jones, Michael Palin, Eric Idle, John Cleese, Graham Chapman, and Terry Gilliam's Monty Python's Flying Circus to The Mustard Inspectors!

Last edited by Ro; 11-08-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #293
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

^
Here's a favourite episode of mine Ro

The Cheese Shop sketch, Monty Python

Old 11-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #294
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro View Post

@#!$!#@ I was wondering if I should take that on my turn or if it would last another round.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 11-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #295
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro View Post

Darnit, you got me back. That was my next pick, Ro.

Hand's off my British stuff!!!!!

Nice pick, of course....
Old 11-09-2008, 12:27 AM   #296
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nooooooo! Hell's Kitchen I for sure expected to drop another round or two! There goes my reality pick. The only reality show I watch
Old 11-09-2008, 02:55 AM   #297
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
Darnit, you got me back. That was my next pick, Ro.

Hand's off my British stuff!!!!!

Nice pick, of course....
Actually, a steal in the third round IMO.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #298
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Nooooooo! Hell's Kitchen I for sure expected to drop another round or two! There goes my reality pick. The only reality show I watch
I know what you mean. I HATE reality shows... Hell's Kitchen is the only one I find even remotely tolerable. No way was I going to risk someone ninjaing it on me!
Old 11-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #299
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I know what you mean. I HATE reality shows... Hell's Kitchen is the only one I find even remotely tolerable. No way was I going to risk someone ninjaing it on me!
I don't watch many, in fact any anymore. Which is why once Survivor got picked (I had that pencilled in for the reality elimination slot) I had to go with American Idol (the only other reality show I really watched) then bump it to take it in the third round.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 11-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #300
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Bump to first page