Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #501
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
CSA better not be that short-sighted. For all we know, this league could fold in one season like the CBL. Maybe when CPL has a few successful seasons, they can brow beat established franchises in established leagues to fall in line with the domestic league or lose sanctioning. Right now, CPL is div 1 in name only, and may end up being only marginally better than PDL, let alone USL, depending on how much they are willing to play for decent players.

My concern is that the Fury have a 7 digit payroll, and CPL is cheaping out on 500-700k caps (like Pacific FC has been saying) which would likely be a non starter for the Fury since it means cuts. I think it also means the CPL won't attract much for talent or many known NT players. If there are ownership groups that can't (or won't) afford a 1.5-2m payroll (with or without designated players), I'm concerned this league will be a bit of a joke when it comes to attracting more than die hards and friends/family. No one is expecting MLS level spending, but its got to exceed USL to be serious.

I hope I'm wrong and the league announces a reasonable salary cap and an ability to draw in some known players in Canada or abroad.
Pacific FC has not said anywhere that the cap will be 500-750K. There is one article saying that the owner wants it to be less than 1 million. (Source: https://www.kamloopsmatters.com/high...launch-1012589) Without any public information on what the cap actually is, there are a lot of assumptions being made before even a single player is signed. For what it's worth, the salary cap I've heard is 850K.

Don't get me wrong, I think that is way too low, but I don't think that means the league will be a joke, like you are implying.If you want to talk USL salaries, the USL's franchise agreement from 2016 recommended that clubs spend 200-400K USD on players (Source: https://www.soctakes.com/2017/10/31/...ise-agreement/). I'm sure salaries have gone up since they've been sanctioned as D2, but that's not exactly a high number itself.

The Fury have made a lot of cost cutting moves in their 5 years, including gutting their squad after the 2015 Soccer Bowl run, scrapping their academy, folding their women's team, and the move from NASL to USL. Now, suddenly they want to be big spenders? I don't buy it.

In my opinion the nuclear option of pulling sanctioning is the better option in the long term. The CSA's long term plan is to detach itself from American leagues. They've already forced Ontario PDL teams into League1 Ontario (losing KW United), and have denied sanctioning to women's teams in Quebec, forcing them into the Women's PLSQ.This move by the Fury now puts that plan in jeopardy. Do they scrap their long term strategy in the interest of one team? Not to mention, the USL actually wants the Fury in CPL because it means their clubs don't have to get separate visas to play one game a year.

I don't think that will happen with the current leadership, but if Montagliani was still CSA president, I think it would.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:44 PM   #502
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

CPL commissioner David Clanachan will hold a state of the league update on Monday, including updates on:
- The league’s impending kit deal
- The Ottawa Fury’s decision to remain in the USL
- An update on expansion interest from across Canada
- Roster rules
- Player acquisition
- Media rights

I look forward to reading people saying the league isn't worth their time on Monday night.

Link: http://canpl.ca/video/clanachan-inte...ls-open-trials

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #503
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ That's a tasty list right there. The linked page doesn't give a time - do you happen to know?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #504
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do not, sorry. Here are my guesses on what happens:

- Kit deal: Macron
- League response to the Fury: "We're disappointed with the Fury's decision, but we would welcome them in the future." Then Tommy Wheeldon comes in and slide tackles Jay Ball yelling ""Al Classico mother####ers", causing Ball to fall through a table.
- Expansion team: London
- Media rights: DAZN. No TV agreement at this time.
- Salary Cap: 850K.
- Player acquisition: The 5 player pools that were outlined a while ago.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #505
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Man, even the Canadian Baseball League was able to get a TV deal. Even if it is just a game of the week type deal, surely they can get three hours of broadcast time somewhere.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #506
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teaser for Al Classico 2018 leg 1 on September 29. Cavalry FC Prospects vs FC Edmonton Prospects. KO is at 3 pm at Spruce Meadows. Further details should be out this week from the club.

For anyone going to the game, keep in mind that the product you see will not be the product come April. That goes for on the pitch and off the pitch.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #507
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone who's a member should now have details about the Sept 29 game in their emails, including prices. IMO, member prices ($20 for adults, $10 for children) are a bit on the steep end for this friendly, given that the game is serving as a sneak peek.

Tickets for non members will be available Sept 15.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:23 AM   #508
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Anyone who's a member should now have details about the Sept 29 game in their emails, including prices. IMO, member prices ($20 for adults, $10 for children) are a bit on the steep end for this friendly, given that the game is serving as a sneak peek.

Tickets for non members will be available Sept 15.
Yeah I have to say when I saw that pricing I began to wonder about the season ticket costs. If a friendly to see a lesser product is $20, are they asking $30-40 for the real deal? That’s going to kill this thing before it even starts.

I might still check it out though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #509
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately I'll be out of town for the friendly. Interesting pricing though. I would have thought that getting more people there at a lower cost would be the priority, especially this early on. On the other hand, there will probably be limited temporary seating, so they know that they can fill it anyway.

$10 for parking as well, but a free shuttle from the train. I understand that parking will be important revenue generator, but even the Flames prospect game had $5 tickets and $5 parking. Apples and oranges for sure, and if I was in town I'd still go to the Cavalry match, but they're making the decision a little harder for more casual fans to get excited about seeing the B or C squad.

I get it - we need to support this, they need the revenue, etc. etc. but I would have thought that they'd be aggressively trying to expand their potential fan base still, and this is a good opportunity to do just that.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #510
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't even see parking prices. To me, free parking is a must. Making people pay for parking would be a huge misstep in my opinion.

With the email to members, there's a survey where one of the questions is what would you be willing to pay for season tickets if you get them. Also, they ask if you'd be willing to pay for season parking, what colour you want jerseys, what concessions you want, etc. A good opportunity to provide feedback.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #511
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
- Media rights: DAZN. No TV agreement at this time.
That would be a mistake.

I mean c'mon with Sportsnet basically having a monopoly on NHL hockey and baseball you'd think TSN would be happy to shell out a few doubloons for some live content.

Frankly I think it's probably really important to build the brand recognition off the bat so TV exposure should be prioritized.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #512
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
That would be a mistake.

I mean c'mon with Sportsnet basically having a monopoly on NHL hockey and baseball you'd think TSN would be happy to shell out a few doubloons for some live content.

Frankly I think it's probably really important to build the brand recognition off the bat so TV exposure should be prioritized.
I subscribe to DAZN (well, I split an account with my brother-in-law) because I watch a bit of Serie A and the occasional Norwich game when televised, so DAZN would reach me. But I agree that this needs to reach as many people as possible and hook them in. DAZN is still pretty obscure unless you're bit more serious of a supporter, and/or have something specific that you're trying to follow. Plus the subscription cost is a barrier for many. But pretty much everyone still gets TSN.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #513
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think anyone will get DAZN for CPL itself; they're getting it for NFL Sunday Ticket and Champions League. And if CPL happens to be on, maybe people will check it out.

As far as getting on a major network, I don't think it's happening unless CPL is paying TSN / Sportsnet to broadcast their games. IIRC, MLS is actually paying TSN to show their games, because they are benefitting from the exposure. Don't think the league wants to spend that kind of money. Personally, I would love to see games on CBC supplemented by a streaming deal.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #514
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't even see parking prices. To me, free parking is a must. Making people pay for parking would be a huge misstep in my opinion.

With the email to members, there's a survey where one of the questions is what would you be willing to pay for season tickets if you get them. Also, they ask if you'd be willing to pay for season parking, what colour you want jerseys, what concessions you want, etc. A good opportunity to provide feedback.
I agree with you on the parking. Spruce Meadows is already a trek for many, and has thousands of parking spots. If parking was limited, and/or the product was already established, then a parking fee makes sense. At this location and at this stage in this venture, charging for it makes me think that they are overestimating the lengths that people will go.

One thing that would be really helpful, if the supporters group can swing it, would be to try and get a seat/voice at the table with some of the higher level decisions at the club. My ancestral team, Norwich City, has a "Canaries Trust" which is a group that represents the interests of supporters with the club. Granted, they also buy up shares so they are technically a small ownership group, but the club seems to respect their position on matters.

The sporting culture in North America is obviously more of a company/consumer sort of thing, whereas in Europe the supporters are seen as more of a stakeholder. But it would benefit the club in the long run if the supporters group can wiggle their way into the inner circle (a seat in the boardroom, even) as much as possible. That way you can become more than "those guys that come out rain or shine and create the atmosphere" and more into a voice that can influence club decisions, and hopefully prevent them from making some obvious mistakes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #515
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I didn't even notice the survey, thanks for pointing that out.

I was considering going down on the 29th, but I have to say $30 to drive down and sit on the grass to watch (at best) the PDL guys is a bit steep. I'd like to see this take off, but it should have been like the Flames, $5 entry and $5 for parking. I still might if today's announcement wows me.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #516
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
The sporting culture in North America is obviously more of a company/consumer sort of thing, whereas in Europe the supporters are seen as more of a stakeholder. But it would benefit the club in the long run if the supporters group can wiggle their way into the inner circle (a seat in the boardroom, even) as much as possible. That way you can become more than "those guys that come out rain or shine and create the atmosphere" and more into a voice that can influence club decisions, and hopefully prevent them from making some obvious mistakes.
Agreed. The supporters group (via myself) does have that kind of communication with the club (via the GM). But as of right now we're only 25 at most, so I don't know much we are really influencing things.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #517
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. The supporters group (via myself) does have that kind of communication with the club (via the GM). But as of right now we're only 25 at most, so I don't know much we are really influencing things.
True. But 25, for a team that has never kicked a ball, should be taken seriously. There is no better group to represent the supporters' interests. I get it though - the club probably hasn't even considered such a thing either. Yet.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #518
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would hope quite a bit. If something isn't acceptable to the die-hard fans who have showed their loyalty and dedication, it likely will not be acceptable to the others who are considering how much cash to lay out to support this team.

I hope you're wrong about Macron though. They do some good work for Lazio, but their kits generally look and feel cheaper and less polished than Adidas, Nike, Umbro and Puma. Probably able to get better leisurewear products too that way.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #519
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
That would be a mistake.

Hockey is mostly irrelevant since the seasons barely overlap. As far as Baseball goes, TSN has a ton of games as well. And the CFL. And men's tennis.

Neither network has any great need to broadcast the CPL, but the league really needs to find away to get some games on TV. Even if it goes the CHL route and puts games on Shaw or Rogers TV.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #520
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Hockey is mostly irrelevant since the seasons barely overlap. As far as Baseball goes, TSN has a ton of games as well. And the CFL. And men's tennis.

Neither network has any great need to broadcast the CPL, but the league really needs to find away to get some games on TV. Even if it goes the CHL route and puts games on Shaw or Rogers TV.
Hockey is relevant in the fact that Rogers basically spent every penny they could muster on the NHL rights, leaving little left to buy much else. But you're right - not a lot of overlap of the actual schedule.

Even some free streams would be vital to the success of the league. If everything is stuck behind a pay wall at DAZN, any revenue that DAZN gave to the league would be pretty much moot, because the product wouldn't grow beyond the hardcore supporters. I hope that any broadcast deal has the ability for some games to be picked up by traditional broadcasters and/or be made available for free streaming.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 09-10-2018 at 11:07 AM.