Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-26-2022, 09:18 PM   #7361
Knut

Exp:

As an aside. I was the one that originally brought up the locker room. I was not saying a thing about Duclair. It was more about Lucic’s perceived value to the room.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 09:48 PM   #7362
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The top teams all have cap issues.

Kane would make sense to them because he’s a rental, would come with a very low cap hit as a rental, and has known chemistry with Kane.

Not sure who you would envision moving. Hanafin?
Yeah to the rags I think hanifin would be among the most attractive pieces on our roster. Again, if I'm of the mindset of trying to build for a competing team in a few seasons instead of now. Though then I admit we have to reload and look for another key d piece or hope Poirier develops. Not great options.

I'm a bit bummed with the way our contract situations and player fits are playing out so far. We are going to be pretty constrained for the next few years and my gut tells me that we might be maximized on trying to achieve best fits for our longer term contracts linemate wise. Whether that's matching language players or specific play styles I'm not sure, but I think we need to change the balance we have.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:59 PM   #7363
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I’m wondering if there is a potential deal akin to Tampa’s Hagel acquisition.
Overpay for a very cap efficient and effective player with some term and control.

The Flames window is probably 3 years. The chances of winning a cup are much higher with three good stabs at the cup, rather than one very good stab at the cup.

Someone with long term control, like Hagel did, could even be flipped for assets once the contention window concluded.

If the Flames could get someone like that, while also having Coronato on an ELC, that’s two more top 6 players without adding that much more cap. Imagine how much better the slotting would be in the next two seasons.
This team's problem is not a lack of depth forwards. We have oodles of them.

This team lacks top end talent. Filling out the roster with more mid-tier talent is no path forward. We've already tried that approach (with the current roster) and it's kind of $%^&.

Hagel-like acquisitions make sense when you've got the top-end of your roster sorted and it's loaded with skill. Hagel-like players then come in and fill those depth spots behind them. This team already has the depth spots filled - the problem is the top-end is severely lacking.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 03:58 AM   #7364
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I’m wondering if there is a potential deal akin to Tampa’s Hagel acquisition.
Overpay for a very cap efficient and effective player with some term and control.

The Flames window is probably 3 years. The chances of winning a cup are much higher with three good stabs at the cup, rather than one very good stab at the cup.

Someone with long term control, like Hagel did, could even be flipped for assets once the contention window concluded.

If the Flames could get someone like that, while also having Coronato on an ELC, that’s two more top 6 players without adding that much more cap. Imagine how much better the slotting would be in the next two seasons.
Hagel cost two first round picks. You want to pay that for a good third line player because he ‘s under a cheap contract?

Last edited by The Cobra; 11-27-2022 at 06:33 AM.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:50 AM   #7365
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

This team lacks top end talent. Filling out the roster with more mid-tier talent is no path forward. We've already tried that approach (with the current roster) and it's kind of $%^&.

Hagel-like acquisitions make sense when you've got the top-end of your roster sorted and it's loaded with skill. Hagel-like players then come in and fill those depth spots behind them. This team already has the depth spots filled - the problem is the top-end is severely lacking.
Yup flames need top-end talent, or at least someone on the level of Fiala, Debrincat and Dach who were all traded this summer.

Flames either need to hit the prospect lottery and have some young guy step up in a huge way or to make a deal similar to one of these. Looking at the early trade boards, meier is the option. Unfortunately, they don't really have the cap space next year to do that.
Gotta wonder with how Zadorov is playing you potentially have 6 top 4 D if one could be moved out in the offseason.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:15 PM   #7366
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep its disappointing that Dube has absolutely leveled off. He was a promising looking play. Now he's just Calgarys version of Meat Hands Marchant.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:20 PM   #7367
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Hagel has higher production than everyone on the Flames except Ruzicka, who has played way fewer games. A player like him is more than just "depth".

And the team's main problem is slotting, IMO.

Quote:
Hagel cost two first round picks. You want to pay that for a good third line player because he ‘s under a cheap contract?
He's still an RFA at the end of the deal. If he's still a 60 point forward by then, they can easily trade him for a 1st +. The first that was already traded was 31st OA.
Tampa is playing him for over 19 minutes a night on their first line. Seems like more than a third liner.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:59 PM   #7368
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, would Montreal still payout for Huby? Lol. Not buyers remorse but I'm not confidence in the mix of the team.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:47 PM   #7369
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
So, would Montreal still payout for Huby? Lol. Not buyers remorse but I'm not confidence in the mix of the team.
And immediately start scoring 4 points a game
Old 11-27-2022, 09:56 PM   #7370
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Paulie is an ignorant piece of you know what troll.
Huh. He's only been on CP since Sep of this year. I figured he's been here for much longer than that.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:56 PM   #7371
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Huh. He's only been on CP since Sep of this year. I figured he's been here for much longer than that.
since his last username was banned
Old 11-30-2022, 10:36 PM   #7372
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

It really looks like the Sens will not sign Formenton before the RFA deadline of December 1st 5pm ET.

Also sounds like teams are wary of trading for him because there is some speculation that he is involved in the 2018 Team Canada WJC sexual assault case.

If Formenton is not signed by the deadline, he will be ineligible to play in the rest of the 22/23 season or playoffs.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/could-t...days-deadline/
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 04:08 AM   #7373
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't he drafted.with the Flames pick?
Old 12-01-2022, 04:32 AM   #7374
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Wasn't he drafted.with the Flames pick?
Yes he was, that was the pick used to get Lazar.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:35 AM   #7375
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
It really looks like the Sens will not sign Formenton before the RFA deadline of December 1st 5pm ET.

Also sounds like teams are wary of trading for him because there is some speculation that he is involved in the 2018 Team Canada WJC sexual assault case.

If Formenton is not signed by the deadline, he will be ineligible to play in the rest of the 22/23 season or playoffs.

Not just “involved”, rumour is he led the charge.

It’s presumably why the Senators have made no effort to sign him.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:54 AM   #7376
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Not just “involved”, rumour is he led the charge.

It’s presumably why the Senators have made no effort to sign him.
It’s seemingly quite likely. The guy can play in the league, but he’s certainly not a star. The hold out only makes sense if he’s the guy. Everyone else has a contract in place.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:32 AM   #7377
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Good. And ya....i'm judging the guy.
Old 12-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #7378
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1598443399534854144
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 05:04 PM   #7379
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Definitely hockey Canada scandal written all over it.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:25 PM   #7380
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Definitely hockey Canada scandal written all over it.
There's almost certainly several players in the same boat still collecting their fat salaries and playing in the NHL.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote