Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-22-2022, 02:14 AM   #21
Madrox
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I mean, the prices seem a bit nuts, but as I understand things it’s like they’re moving from Airdrie to downtown, and with a lot fewer seats. There’s some logic to say that demand should go up a fair bit, given that based on what I’ve heard a big problem there has been location, and supply is also going down. Maybe they’re optimistic, but if those were the numbers here in a similar situation, they’d probably sell out every game. I think the balance should be somewhere between 60-80% of those numbers, but I wouldn’t be shocked if those prices stay firm.
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:02 AM   #22
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
you just know the league is going to rig the bedard draft in this poor excuse for a franchise' favour.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2022, 06:36 AM   #23
Gemnoble
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I can't see how this doesn't fail catastrophically. It's going to be an embarrassment.

When was the last time a professional sports team in North America suspended operations mid-season?
Apart from that women's hockey League, the last major North American sports team to fold were the Houston Comets of the WNBA in 2008.

The last NHL team to fold were the New York/Brooklyn Americans in '42 due to the war hurting the talent pool and competition with the Rangers. The WHA folded two teams in 79 following its merger with the NHL, the Birmingham Bulls and the Cincinnati Stingers. The year prior (78) the Indianapolis Racers and Houston Aeros folded due to struggling attendance and the year before that (77) The Calgary Cowboys, Minnesota Fighting Saints, San Diego Mariners and Phoenix Roadrunners folded. The WHA was a rocky place to be a hockey fan.

In pro baseball, way back in 1915, an attempted third major league, the Federal League, folded after being unable to compete with the NL and AL that would later merge to become the MLB. Of the 9 teams in the FL, only one city would not receive another Major League team, Newark, NJ. Then host of the Newark Peppers. No AL or NL or MLB teams have since gone defunct, merely being relocated. #Expos

In pro basketball the NBAs Baltimore Bullets folded in 1954 due to absolutely atrocious performance going 3-11. They actually folded after playing only 14 of the 70+ games on their schedule. So this I believe is the actual answer.

The NFLs Dallas Texans folded after their first season in 1952, again due to absolute dog#### performance. Going 1-11. Their one win, was because the other team only played second stringers to rest the actual players and even then they only won with a last second TD. The AFL never had a team fold and I believe every AFL team survived into the NFL.
Gemnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemnoble For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2022, 07:55 AM   #24
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gary will just take ownership over the team again if it gets that bad.

And any of us that spend money on the Flames will be subsidizing them for some ungodly reason.

Temporarily Move them to any number of major junior rinks in Canada if you are too stubborn to move them permanently to Houston, KC, QC etc.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:58 AM   #25
SutterBrother
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Glad the NHL is so poor they need ads on helmets and jerseys, but at least they have the money for this BS.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:04 AM   #26
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
What glue stick did they snort when they came up with this for pricing?
They need to make up for all the lost seats.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:10 AM   #27
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I take it they aren't hoping to attract the college crowd at $90/seat?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:49 AM   #28
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Gary will just take ownership over the team again if it gets that bad.

And any of us that spend money on the Flames will be subsidizing them for some ungodly reason.

Temporarily Move them to any number of major junior rinks in Canada if you are too stubborn to move them permanently to Houston, KC, QC etc.
Travelling franchise that spends 2 weeks at a time in small markets vying for a team.

They can be hockey's "Littlest Hobo"
GhostCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:07 AM   #29
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I take it they aren't hoping to attract the college crowd at $90/seat?
By the looks of the chart, there can't be more than a few hundred of the $89 seats. Those ones will probably sell well as it will be a bargain to sit that close compared to other NHL arenas.

As for paying $350 to see through the distorted view from the glass, I'd certainly be out.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:12 AM   #30
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrox View Post
I mean, the prices seem a bit nuts, but as I understand things it’s like they’re moving from Airdrie to downtown, and with a lot fewer seats. There’s some logic to say that demand should go up a fair bit, given that based on what I’ve heard a big problem there has been location, and supply is also going down. Maybe they’re optimistic, but if those were the numbers here in a similar situation, they’d probably sell out every game. I think the balance should be somewhere between 60-80% of those numbers, but I wouldn’t be shocked if those prices stay firm.
They averaged 7000 household viewers per game last year and are probably down this year if they can measure numbers that low. Are they going to get all of them to come to games regularly?

Due to the dumbness of the RSN model, they probably make 75-100 million/year on their TV deal, since their RSN has 2.5 million subscribers. Once that RSN money dries up though, I don't see how they can possibly be viable.

A half full 5000 seat arena with boring wealthy people is not going to be a fun atmosphere.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:21 AM   #31
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't know for sure, but I don't think the prices at the Corral were out of whack with the prices around the league and the eventual Saddledome seating.

It was a great place to watch those games, but the Yotes model requires 5000 hard core (and reasonably wealthy) fans. It would be really embarrassing if they end up with a half full college arena.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:24 AM   #32
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
They averaged 7000 household viewers per game last year and are probably down this year if they can measure numbers that low. Are they going to get all of them to come to games regularly?

Due to the dumbness of the RSN model, they probably make 75-100 million/year on their TV deal, since their RSN has 2.5 million subscribers. Once that RSN money dries up though, I don't see how they can possibly be viable.

A half full 5000 seat arena with boring wealthy people is not going to be a fun atmosphere.
For real??? How can it be that low? Im assuming they have a regional sports channel like Fox Sports? How can they broadcast anything at a profit to a few thousand people?

I have always envisioned maybe 250,000 people watching our Sportsnet Flames games ... maybe it is way lower, who knows. But that is the size of audience I always assumed it would be, given the "water cooler" talk with so many people the next day.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:28 AM   #33
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know some owners believe the Coyotes should not be eligible for revenue sharing starting next year, I hope that somehow goes through.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:29 AM   #34
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're getting absolutely roasted online for this plan. From those in the know, sounds like this plan banks on the move putting them close enough to the wealthy folks/corporate crowd that they can lure them with the discounted seasons tickets.

To me, even if they can sell most of the season tickets, it sounds like a recipe for empty building when they're on a 8 game losing streak. 5,000 in a packed house is an awesome energy, but half full? It'll just drive more people away.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:34 AM   #35
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
For real??? How can it be that low? Im assuming they have a regional sports channel like Fox Sports? How can they broadcast anything at a profit to a few thousand people?

I have always envisioned maybe 250,000 people watching our Sportsnet Flames games ... maybe it is way lower, who knows. But that is the size of audience I always assumed it would be, given the "water cooler" talk with so many people the next day.
They have 2.5 million people paying $5-10/month in carriage fees for a channel they don't watch. Viewership doesn't matter for the cable RSN model. Cord cutting will make that model unsustainable, but it's still quite profitable for now.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:50 AM   #36
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
They're getting absolutely roasted online for this plan. From those in the know, sounds like this plan banks on the move putting them close enough to the wealthy folks/corporate crowd that they can lure them with the discounted seasons tickets.

To me, even if they can sell most of the season tickets, it sounds like a recipe for empty building when they're on a 8 game losing streak. 5,000 in a packed house is an awesome energy, but half full? It'll just drive more people away.
Would many wealthy people even want to go to a university arena, even if it's nice? where the cachet in that?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:52 AM   #37
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm interested to see how this works out for them. I believe Lanny McDonald said the Coral provided the best home ice advantage he played in. Clearly this isn't a long term solution but it may bring a bit more positivity to the players compared to playing in front of a large, empty arena and even a fun atmosphere for fans.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:00 AM   #38
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

can you imagine paying $400 plus for what will likely once again be a last place AHL team playing in the NHL.......has anyone seen a similar grid for their current prices. it would be entertaining to see the two side by side. even though it is not a fair comparison given the rink size.

will be interesting to see what UFA then can sign in the off season
Old 04-22-2022, 10:01 AM   #39
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they did a market survey and found that lots of ASU students have rich parents and the place will actually be packed and rocking?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:04 AM   #40
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

This can't be serious...waiting for an insider to confirm this is a place holder announcement and coyotes will be playing in City x (likely Houston) next year...